Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #19,637 of 46,514

Congrats!For your LD.

I appreciate your encouragement beforehand and now. It is indeed, an awesome combination between the LD IV SE and HD650

Enjoy what you have for now don't rush on tube rolling and if you ever decide on rolling the driver tubes start with the inexpensive Yugoslavian 6HM5,IMO those stock tubes are very nice,Did you try changing the GAIN in your LD? 

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #19,638 of 46,514
 Enjoy what you have for now don't rush on tube rolling and if you ever decide on rolling the driver tubes start with the inexpensive Yugoslavian 6HM5,IMO those stock tubes are very nice,Did you try changing the GAIN in your LD? 

Gain is set to "ON", "ON" for dip switches one and two on both channels which is specified for high impedance, which matches the HD650s. David pre-set these at the factory, which was a pleasant surprise I didn't expect. The driver tubes are fine. I have a matched pair of Mullard M8100, but these are basically same as the CV4010 tubes that are stock on the machine, so no need to mess with success, right now. Thanks again for the encouragement regarding this great amp headphone synergy.

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #19,639 of 46,514
The Asgard has a decent reputation, but there still may be suttle differences. Not owning an Asgard, I am curious if there is any adjustment on the amp for headphone impedance? If so, I'm sure you have already considered that--

If it is the Asgard 2, there is switchable gain for low and high impedance.  I think the Asgard 1 did not have that.  But regardless of that, if he's not getting bass out of that system, something is definitely wrong.

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #19,640 of 46,514
If it is the Asgard 2, there is switchable gain for low and high impedance.  I think the Asgard 1 did not have that.  But regardless of that, if he's not getting bass out of that system, something is definitely wrong.

Can you tell if the headphones are being properly driven? Is the lack of bass equal for both left and right channels? If both channels are affected, compare sound of the HD650s and other headphones. If you have another amp available, try the HD650s with another amplifier. Is there any difference in quality of bass from amp to another? If not, then the problem is with the headphones. Are you using stock or replacement cables? How is the connection of the headphone cord into the HD650s? Alternatively, if there is a problem with connection of an internal wire in the HD650s, this could alter the headphone drivers and their output. I'm sure you checked into many of these options, but the main goal should be isolating the problem and therefore enabling you to correct the problem. Certainly, if operating properly, the HD650s will provide excellent listening pleasure.

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #19,641 of 46,514
add a beefy copper powercord.... to tame an energetic asgard.

Sep 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #19,642 of 46,514
I didn't find the HD 650 impressive with the bass until the pads started breaking in. Even then they are not exactly bass-heavy with most of my music. They excel in the mids with a bump in the mid-bass. 

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #19,643 of 46,514
I got these headphones back in June after recently getting back into the hobby.  I had also just bought an Aune T1 that I was driving these headphones through and they sounded good, but they sounded sort of thin and lifeless, there was no punch to the bass, which didn't really surprise me considering the amp.  I just got a Schiit Bifrost Uber USB and Lyr 2 and this combination is really fantastic.  The Lyr 2 just has tons of power on tap for the 650 and it really makes them sing for me.  The mid bass hump is definitely detectable and it makes the midbass on this headphone punch like a planar (I have the PM-1, HE-560 and HE-400 to compare it to).  Really enjoyable, non-fatiguing headphone for long listening sessions, getting the new stack really made me realize what makes these cans so popular.

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #19,644 of 46,514
Can you tell if the headphones are being properly driven? Is the lack of bass equal for both left and right channels? If both channels are affected, compare sound of the HD650s and other headphones. If you have another amp available, try the HD650s with another amplifier. Is there any difference in quality of bass from amp to another? If not, then the problem is with the headphones. Are you using stock or replacement cables? How is the connection of the headphone cord into the HD650s? Alternatively, if there is a problem with connection of an internal wire in the HD650s, this could alter the headphone drivers and their output. I'm sure you checked into many of these options, but the main goal should be isolating the problem and therefore enabling you to correct the problem. Certainly, if operating properly, the HD650s will provide excellent listening pleasure.

Only other headphones I have on me to compare against are my IEMs, which are sounding a lot better. I don't have another amp available. Stock cables, connection is fine. I'll see if I can find an audiophile store nearby so I can use another amp to see whether that's the problem or not.

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #19,645 of 46,514
  Ooh, nice cable.

Very nice cable looks clean........
beerchug.gif

Thanks!

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #19,646 of 46,514
Only other headphones I have on me to compare against are my IEMs, which are sounding a lot better. I don't have another amp available. Stock cables, connection is fine. I'll see if I can find an audiophile store nearby so I can use another amp to see whether that's the problem or not.

If you live in, or near a fair-sized metropolitan area, you can use the search bar near the top of the head-fi site, and type in the nearest city name and you should get hits of head-fiers in your area that you could contact for assistance. I'm sure they would be glad to swap out between their amps, headphones and yours to see if there is any difference. Have you used your IEM with the Asgard amp? There is a substantial difference between the impedance of typical IEMs and HD650s. If gain settings on your Asgard are set for your IEMs, then it is not likely to be adjusted for your headphones, which could produce the problems you are talking about. I can guarantee once you work out this problem, you will be rewarded with great sound. Hang in there... It will be worth it!

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #19,647 of 46,514
  I just got some HD650's which I'm using with a Modi/Asgard and I'm barely getting any bass, even on quite bass heavy songs, even compared to my IEMs (xb90ex's). Any suggestions?

I own Asgard and Hd650, and i think they don't pair nicely. Thankfully i have Valhalla, and i think it's pretty nice though i couldn't enjoy it when i turn the volume up. If you don't get bass on Asgard then there should be something wrong, while i don't really enjoy it, Asgard still drive 650s adequately.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #19,648 of 46,514
I own Asgard and Hd650, and i think they don't pair nicely. Thankfully i have Valhalla, and i think it's pretty nice though i couldn't enjoy it when i turn the volume up. If you don't get bass on Asgard then there should be something wrong, while i don't really enjoy it, Asgard still drive 650s adequately.

Did you notice any problems with insufficient bass with the combo of HD650 cans and the Asgard?

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #19,649 of 46,514
What precisely do you mean by the phrase "insufficient bass"? Insufficient compared to your iem? In what sense? The HD-650, despite the hyperbole you may have read on this forum, is far and away from a bass-head headphone. It has more bass than the HD-600, so people like to claim it has a great quantity of bass. 

When I first got this headphone, I did not like it all. I actually thought something was wrong with my system, with the headphone, with something. I could not reconcile the glowing reviews with its seemingly thin, lifeless presentation. The HD-650 is truly one of the most misunderstood headphones available.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #19,650 of 46,514
What precisely do you mean by the phrase "insufficient bass"? Insufficient compared to your iem? In what sense? The HD-650, despite the hyperbole you may have read on this forum, is far and away from a bass-head headphone. It has more bass than the HD-600, so people like to claim it has a great quantity of bass. 

When I first got this headphone, I did not like it all. I actually thought something was wrong with my system, with the headphone, with something. I could not reconcile the glowing reviews with its seemingly thin, lifeless presentation. The HD-650 is truly one of the most misunderstood headphones available.

This was in reference to original post regarding problems between HD650 and Asgard amp. Knowing opinions expressed in head-fi posts were subjective, I wasn't disappointed with the HD650 when I listened to it for the first time, but selection of the Little Dot MK IV SE amp made a huge difference, due to the excellent synergy between HD650 and this amp. Two songs I use as bass reference, DUFFY, "Mercy" and FLEETWOOD MAC "Tusk". The latter song is good for determining tonal separation, soundstage as their are dustant voice you can actually hear quite well with the HD650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back