Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #19,351 of 46,506
i am using a silverplated copper cable with the hd650...on a tube amp...
it is not sloppy sounding..a good inbetween from a stock hd600 n hd650 imho.

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #19,352 of 46,506
  I'm wondering if a custom silver cable would make it a little faster.  I'm sure that going with a solid state amp this time would make some difference.  In the flagship headphone thread it is mentioned that the hd650 is good for rock and metal and to use a silver cable.    I think I'll try to find a place that carries it and audition it.  I'd like to give it another chance.

the main reason why the hd650 may sound "slow" or "warm", or "veiled", is mainly from distortions in the lower frequencies increasing the perceived bass.
it's certainly not by adding even more distortions and probably a little warm coloration from a tube amp that things are gonna get better. well some might love the even lusher sound, but it will certainly not solve your problem.

also having a high impedance amp probably doesn't help much. it might increase the bass by only 0.2 or 0.3DB from a 30ohm output, but it would still be more bass and more distorted bass.

I surely would put my money on cables when +30ohm can't even make a 0.5DB difference. but maybe a shorter cable wouldn't hurt for some people. me I do enjoy getting up and closing my window while still wearing the headphone. I'm pretty much bald and get a great seal, maybe let your hair grow to get a little less bass instead of getting a silver cable? it's an inexpensive mod. ^_^

seriously, if you didn't like it before, don't get one. if it was almost what you wanted, maybe a hd600 would do, but else something with a little more high mids and trebles will certainly please you more.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #19,353 of 46,506
However if you are bound to repurchase them Amazon has them for $409.00   http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00018MSNI/ref=asc_df_B00018MSNI3310789?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-523-100-20&linkCode=df0&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B00018MSNI

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #19,354 of 46,506
When it comes to speed I think it's just damping factor that will make any affect to perceived speed.  If the damping factor is pretty low. there is added THD and also less control of the driver in the area where the bass hump is.  Some people like the tube sound because it's added HD which will give it a different timber(not sure if this the correct term for added harmonics).  Not that added harmonics is wrong or incorrect, musical instruments have added harmonics to their sound.  You probably get that euphoric loose sound.  Also the FR of 650 looks organic like the Audeze which will give it more warm character.  This is reason for the dark impressions to both headphones.

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #19,355 of 46,506
Hi all, it's been a few weeks (or months?) I own this cans, this cans is simply good, and i think i found a little problem with this cans (or myself)
Though i found that HD650 is a great sounding cans (They make my M50 sounds thin, like an old cheap fm radio sound), they don't sound that good out of the box, i burned them down and wait if the charcoal might sound better or worse. But after days of waiting, I found it hard to enjoy them (Foobar2k-Fiio E7/L7-Schiit Asgard/Valhalla-Hd650). Then by that time, i start questioning my decision, or myself. Somebody told me that the difference between open headphones and closed ones are rather big, that i need to adjust myself to the sound, that it's something different. So, i swapped my DAC, (Schiit Bifrost) and wait a little longer, and i no longer have any idea how long i've been waiting or what kind of thing i've been expecting. Did i expect too much or what? This cans do sound great, but that's all, it's really great, and i don't want to take them off my head, i kept the volume down to keep my hearing healthy, since funny as it sounds, i can't take this one off. But it's not mind blowing, but it's so addicting. In some music i can even feel that the singer is singing to me right to my face, i wonder if i do hear the veil or whatever gimmick or flaunt people are giving to this cans but i do hear something which is not 'right' to my ears, but i could hear the singer sing to me, i could imagine her/him in front of me, hell i feel like some recording doesn't sound right because though positioning is a bit blurry, i think i could tell the difference where the microphone are located, as if in a Drama CD, the sound should be coming from the right, but they came from somewhere in front of you.

I am lost and i wonder, am i missing something in my life? I think i haven't visited any kind of 'real' live music performance (except concert of course), so all i could do was imagining, is this sound right or not, and that's all. The problem is now, would please you kind fellas tell me some kind of reference recording so could listen to them and judge my library instead? Which would show something or explains something to me about this phenomenon? Or am i just being disappointed?

I don't know what's going on with my 'supposedly' Hi-fi life, but as addicting as it is, as wrong or as right as it is, i named this lovely cans, Mare.
Schiit Bifrost+Schiit Valhalla+HD650

Sep 11, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #19,356 of 46,506
I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for but you say they're too good to take off. How is that a problem?

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #19,357 of 46,506
I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for but you say they're too good to take off. How is that a problem?

Ups sorry,  man i think i was exaggerating.I probably was confused by how to express the sound of these cans, i feel like it's lacking something.. i just can't really explain what.. what do i call a feeling where a sound is loud but doesn't feel close? I could feel the impact but it's not just close enough, something like that. 

or maybe it's not a problem at all just like you said Zorrofox

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #19,358 of 46,506
  Ups sorry,  man i think i was exaggerating.I probably was confused by how to express the sound of these cans, i feel like it's lacking something.. i just can't really explain what.. what do i call a feeling where a sound is loud but doesn't feel close? I could feel the impact but it's not just close enough, something like that. 

I was wondering the same with HD650, then I upgraded to LCD-2 and the intimate feeling came back to me.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #19,361 of 46,506

I was wondering the same with HD650, then I upgraded to LCD-2 and the intimate feeling came back to me.

I have brief experience with LCD 2.  I keep wondering whether it was the player or the amp's fault, i thought LCD 2 was dry sounding. Or i wonder whether it's Stax SR 009's fault that my ears got spoiled. Since i had my time with them before trying out the LCD 2.

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #19,362 of 46,506
  I have brief experience with LCD 2.  I keep wondering whether it was the player or the amp's fault, i thought LCD 2 was dry sounding. Or i wonder whether it's Stax SR 009's fault that my ears got spoiled. Since i had my time with them before trying out the LCD 2.

I have a pair of Martin Logan Summit Xs, Motif center, Depth I, and Mythos STS rears in my HT. I still find the HD650 plenty enjoyable, as much as that system? absolutely not, but I have no reason to upgrade past the HD650 ATM. I feel that the HD650s are something you learn to love because they do so many things so well, but at some times and with some recordings they sound underwhelming, it's not perfect but it sure as hell is awesome.

I will probably keep the 650s until they break or I pass them along when I get a better rig and they are no longer relevant. But for now I am more than happy with them.

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #19,363 of 46,506

I have a pair of Martin Logan Summit Xs, Motif center, Depth I, and Mythos STS rears in my HT. I still find the HD650 plenty enjoyable, as much as that system? absolutely not, but I have no reason to upgrade past the HD650 ATM. I feel that the HD650s are something you learn to love because they do so many things so well, but at some times and with some recordings they sound underwhelming, it's not perfect but it sure as hell is awesome.

I will probably keep the 650s until they break or I pass them along when I get a better rig and they are no longer relevant. But for now I am more than happy with them.

+1 for each tool it's own use.

after years and years of reading dumb reviews putting the hd650 up against the K701 as if anybody could want both for the same reasons when they sound soooooo different(but both super comfy). nowadays we get "hd650 vs hd800, should I upgrade?" ... same nonsense to me. if going from the hd650 to the hd800 is great for someone then he should have never bought a hd650 in the first place as it was clearly not his kind of sound. that's not getting something better, that's correcting a major mistake.

do I think a LCD2 is a HD650 with everything sounding better? yes I do! do I want a LCD2? nope, or at least certainly not to replace the hd650 in everyday use as the LCD2 is too heavy for my weak little neck(and I would have to buy another amp).

do I feel like the hd800 is better than a hd650? clearly yes, the sound quality is amazing on the hd800 for a dynamic driver!!!!! do I want a hd800? nope, I hate that ******* signature.

to me that's like asking me if I want to get rid of my comfy sweater to wear a tailored suit all night at home. why? well because obviously the suit is better. that's how wrong I feel when I read about getting rid of my hd650 for something "better".

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #19,364 of 46,506
  do I think a LCD2 is a HD650 with everything sounding better? yes I do! do I want a LCD2? nope, or at least certainly not to replace the hd650 in everyday use as the LCD2 is too heavy for my weak little neck(and I would have to buy another amp).

As I don't have any comfort issues with LCD-2, sadly my HD650 became a bit redundant for me...

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #19,365 of 46,506
i think each one of us is on a journey of self discovery,
an evolvement in our taste of music...
vis a vis our cans/gears;
there is nothing wrong wondering why we are seemingly contented,
n yet a surprising discontent in our soul surfaced now n then...
it is this tension that pushes us to explore.
Some have travelled further n felt a stability in their soul to "settle" for some cans/gears...
having seen the limits of this headfi world;
that is a personal choice..making this hobby so individualistic. 

So...mistake or no mistake, lets travel...
buy...sell...try...settle...just enjoy the journey, enjoy the music  !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back