Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #19,171 of 46,565
Is it just me or do you not hear any noticeable difference between sources. I could volume match my Xonar DGX soundcard against my Magni or FiiO E12.

Everyone seems to say these need a nice amp to shine but I'm sure in a double blind test no on could tell a Magni from lets say a Burson Soloist. Id like to see a video of someone using a switch and tell amps apart with the HD650.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #19,172 of 46,565
  Also... I found that the sound of the HD650 improved with burning-in. After 200 hours or so the difference was considerable. They also respond to careful equipment and matching scale well. I have several other sets of cans, including the HD800, but the HD650 is here for keeps. 

Yes.  You need to give your ears time to adjust to the HD-650.  I have both cans and, trust me, after some dedicated listening on the 650s you won't enjoy the 598s the same way you used to.

Yes, I think that will probably be the case, I already like them better and they aren't even close to being burnt in yet.  There was just a few instances of "huh, that sounds less forward" than before.  Been A - B ing the two and every time I switch from the 650 to the 598 it feels like everything but vocals gets muted somewhat and the clarity is worse of course.  

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #19,173 of 46,565

Yes, I think that will probably be the case, I already like them better and they aren't even close to being burnt in yet.  There was just a few instances of "huh, that sounds less forward" than before.  Been A - B ing the two and every time I switch from the 650 to the 598 it feels like everything but vocals gets muted somewhat and the clarity is worse of course.  

My advice: don't A/B headphones.  It takes you ears/brain time to acclimate to a new sound.  Try listening ONLY to the 650s for awhile (and by awhile, for me, it took weeks to really hear everything that is happening in those phones).  I came very close to selling mine, but the 650s are really remarkable, if you give them a chance.

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #19,174 of 46,565

My advice: don't A/B headphones.  It takes you ears/brain time to acclimate to a new sound.  Try listening ONLY to the 650s for awhile (and by awhile, for me, it took weeks to really hear everything that is happening in those phones).  I came very close to selling mine, but the 650s are really remarkable, if you give them a chance.

Agree. I have both HD650 and DT880. If I listen to the Sennheiser for a while and switch to the Beyer, the DT880 feel metallic and lifeless. If I do it the other way arround, the HD650 feel congested. However, these contrast impressions as I like to call them go away after some time.

Sep 1, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #19,176 of 46,565
Was wondering if my fiio e11 will power sennheiser hd 600's they power my momentums but was wanting the hd 600 or even the hd 650

It works well enough for me, with the E11 and the HD 650.  As always, YMMV.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #19,177 of 46,565
Have to say the Senns demand power. They hit 500ohms at peaks..not the nominal 300ohms specified. Theres a reason its called nominal. I went from a decent 10mw amp...a 30 mw amp...a 90mw amp. All sounded crap. Period. Couldn't raise the volume to listenable evels without strain and compression. Then demoed the Schiit Asgard 2 and Lyr 2. Bloody hell the change is nothing short of miraculous. Went for the Asgard 2 which I felt was perfect. .rather than the Lyr 2 which was just tooo much! My hearing may now be in danger as that volume knob goes up..n up..n up. Heavenly. I'll get a Lyr 2 for my LCD 2.2 though.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #19,178 of 46,565
Have to say the Senns demand power. They hit 500ohms at peaks..not the nominal 300ohms specified. Theres a reason its called nominal. I went from a decent 10mw amp...a 30 mw amp...a 90mw amp. All sounded crap. Period. Couldn't raise the volume to listenable evels without strain and compression.
This is why I've been heavily considering Valhalla 2. I notice I have to turn the volume up higher on my Little Dot MK III than I'd like. The downside is going OTL limits the headphone choices that will pair well with it. (I'd like to get a planar magnetic someday.)

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #19,179 of 46,565
This is why I've been heavily considering Valhalla 2. I notice I have to turn the volume up higher on my Little Dot MK III than I'd like. The downside is going OTL limits the headphone choices that will pair well with it. (I'd like to get a planar magnetic someday.)

Just get the Asgard 2 then. It's powering my HD650 and LCD2 equally well.

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #19,182 of 46,565
It works well enough for me, with the E11 and the HD 650.  As always, YMMV.

I thought the e11 was kinda good enuff too...until the Schiit gear. Then I just realised the Senns have been so totally underpowered. And then I realised that there is a world of difference between being able to simply drive a headphone...and giving that headphone an amp that will realise its true greatness in fidelity and power. A 10 mw amp can drive the Senny sure but... What I'm saying is, until you get hold of a proper amp to truly realise the sound from a Senn HD650 you are missing out on what we all crave - fidelity. Then again of course, you carnt miss what you never heard in the first place. But hey do yourselves a favour..your Senny will love ya for it.

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #19,183 of 46,565
I need a recommendation for a home amp and am thinking about tubes or a hybrid system as I've heard they work really well with the 650's. I also need it to be a good complement to the Grado sr325is. I currently have a fiio e18 and will initially use this as a dac. I don't want to spend anymore than £150. What do you folks reckon?

Sep 2, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #19,184 of 46,565
I thought the e11 was kinda good enuff too...until the Schiit gear. 

Right, but I was responding to a post about a need to upgrade to the E11K from the E11 - I'm not saying that an E11 is all you ever need.

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #19,185 of 46,565
I need a recommendation for a home amp and am thinking about tubes or a hybrid system as I've heard they work really well with the 650's. I also need it to be a good complement to the Grado sr325is. I currently have a fiio e18 and will initially use this as a dac. I don't want to spend anymore than £150. What do you folks reckon?

I liked the Valhalla with the 650 quite a bit and I also found it was fine with my HF2 that were 28ohm cans so the whole impedance mismatching thing isn't always that important. If the 325is is as bright as I suspect it is, a little tube softness won't hurt it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

• HWB3
Back