Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #19,081 of 46,565
guess its just me but the pads always touch my ears no matter how many times i adjust the headband. its really annoying since my ears gets itchy alot of times and i just got this hd650. are there any other custom pads i can get ?

I have two solutions for you:
1. Use the Brainwavz HM5 pads (leather or velour). And with a few drops of glue they will stay in place. These pads have bigger and deeper cavities than the stock pads.
3. Get a pair of Audeze LCD suede ear pads and just wear the 650 over them placed over your ears

I use solution #2 myself.

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #19,082 of 46,565
I was thinking of your option 1 jus a week ago ..so it will work with some glue?
I gonna order from mp4nation then, thks:)

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #19,083 of 46,565
I was thinking of your option 1 jus a week ago ..so it will work with some glue?
I gonna order from mp4nation then, thks:)

The stock pads have a plastic ring which clips on to the housing. The Brainwavz doesn't so you just need a couple of light dabs to keep it in place. Normal use of the headband will ensure it stays in place.

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #19,084 of 46,565
My stockpads turned blueish purple from the repeated washing..looks horrendous.
N ain't cheap buying originals. The mp4nation pads look solid :)

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #19,085 of 46,565
I think it's more a case of rival headphones having 'enhanced' treble and people getting so used to hearing that that they then think the 650 is deficient. I think they're looking at it the wrong way.

+1

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #19,086 of 46,565
I bought the mp4nation earpads as replacements and after using them, I put my old Sennheiser pads back on.  The old ones were more compfortable and fit better than the cheap replacements.  Should have known better, but did not want to spend for the stock pads.  Guess I will have to now.  I did take some heavy gauge wire and wrapped it under the pads next to the plastic rings to help with the compression.  The pads are a little fuller doing this and my ears don't touch the speaker parts now.  

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #19,087 of 46,565
U mean the mp4nation pads are too big in circumference to sit into the plastic base properly that u hv to tie it somehow?

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #19,088 of 46,565
This video shows how to use these replacement pads....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpO0TDCj_cg
I was referring to the old 650 pads. I went back to them, and I put a large diameter wire underneath the pad , between the pad and plastic base, and that raised up the pad enough to give me distance between my ear and the speaker part.  I still have the mp4nation pads, but they did not work as well as going back to the old pads.  They are very cheaply made.  You get what you pay for.

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #19,090 of 46,565
  if i put the hd650 driver into a hd600 will they sound completely identical to hd650 ?:p

I think the capsule itself has slightly different damping materials.. but it should be pretty much the same.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #19,091 of 46,565
I have the "old" one and recently had a chance to AB it against a "new" one. Luckily for me, I could not tel any difference with my primary setup. I don't think there's any difference between the two. Source and amplification would influence the sound of the 650 much more dramatically, that's for sure. Do you know what he was listening out of?

His set up was as follows "my music is in my iMac. I use two systems first using an V Dac to audiolab 8000 pre and power amps to Rega RS1. The second is using an beresford 7510 DAC to audiolab 8000a amp to RUARK Templar floors ganders"
Can't say I'm familiar with any of the equipment but it certainly quashed my suspicion that he was just running them out of his phone or something. I guess people must just have dramatically different tastes in sound the same as everything else. I was just a bit bamboozled to hear of someone being deeply disappointed with these cans.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #19,092 of 46,565
His set up was as follows "my music is in my iMac. I use two systems first using an V Dac to audiolab 8000 pre and power amps to Rega RS1. The second is using an beresford 7510 DAC to audiolab 8000a amp to RUARK Templar floors ganders"
Can't say I'm familiar with any of the equipment but it certainly quashed my suspicion that he was just running them out of his phone or something. I guess people must just have dramatically different tastes in sound the same as everything else. I was just a bit bamboozled to hear of someone being deeply disappointed with these cans.

I am not surprised... I really disliked these the first time I heard them.  Some time went by, I learned more about what I like, especially after experiencing more live music and, most importantly, I sort of "forced" myself to acclimate to the HD 650s.

Now, they are my favorite 'phones and I want a second pair for my office.

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #19,093 of 46,565
Haha, thanks for that. I actually saw this image a while back but thought it was just comparing size! Seems as I thought, I have got the silver driver and might explain why the dude I was talking to found his HD650 a disappointment, which I found crazy!

Mine were silver drivers and they most certainly were a little restrained in the treble energy. Eventually I had to move them and kept the DT 880 as I needed just that touch of missing treble. For the record my hearing is quite good, I had a great solid state amplifier (SPL Auditor) and an Audiolab 8200CD player as my DAC with bit perfect output of lossless files through JRiver Media Center. Other than that the 650 is a  fantastic sounding headphone, and frankly for those who like a touch of warmth, the 650 is going to do so much right, and not much wrong.

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #19,095 of 46,565

Mine were silver drivers and they most certainly were a little restrained in the treble energy. Eventually I had to move them and kept the DT 880 as I needed just that touch of missing treble. For the record my hearing is quite good, I had a great solid state amplifier (SPL Auditor) and an Audiolab 8200CD player as my DAC with bit perfect output of lossless files through JRiver Media Center. Other than that the 650 is a  fantastic sounding headphone, and frankly for those who like a touch of warmth, the 650 is going to do so much right, and not much wrong.

Afaik SPL Auditor doesn't pair well with HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

• HWB3
Back