Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #18,991 of 46,514
May I advise against that kind of sale.  You'll always attach the loss of your music to that child...

...I'm 44 and my father still refers to me a "the reason he lost his GTO".  Nice stuff to hear all your life, eh?

I'll try to bury my resentment much deeper then! :D

Thanks for the sensible words. I'll be back in the game at some point down the line but for now, my listening den doesn't exist so nor does that type of headphone listening.

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #18,992 of 46,514
Thanks for the sensible words. I'll be back in the game at some point down the line but for now, my listening den doesn't exist so nor does that type of headphone listening.

Oh, I know the feeling. I'm also out of my den closer to December (due date). My studio is going to be transformed into a nursery room.

No way in hell I'm getting rid of my stuff, though. 
cool.gif

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #18,993 of 46,514

I bought a pair of 650s shortly after buying my 880s. I love the 880s open, airy sound, but it gets a little thin for me, and with some songs the treble makes me wince.

The 650 is thick by comparison. Warm, and thick low-mid, like PDRM360 said. Just never felt like I got enough treble or upper-mid from them. Tried the HD600 and I felt like it was more of what I wanted: less thick with a nice upper-mid presence. To me it's more neutral and accurate than the other two.

BUT, I recently heard the 650s balanced out of Sennhesier's HDVA-600 amp and it shocked me. They sounded like the 600s with nice clarity, but had the added bonus of the signature nice, rich bass. They just sounded more impressive than the 600s. I ordered the amp and it should be here tomorrow. We'll see if my impression at home is the same. Hope so!

The perfect headphone recipe for me would be:

1.) Airy, open top of the DT-880 600 Ohm with slightly reduced treble, to reduce some of the tizziness or wince-inducing highs.
2.) Midrange clarity of the HD600
3.) Warm, thick low-mid of the HD650 (but not quite as much)
4.) Extended low frequency of the DT-880

Someone should make this!

They do its the Beyer T1
evil_smiley.gif

1.) Smooth and refined
2.) Insane level of detail/resolution
3.) Natural mids, beautiful vocal presentation
4.) Good bass, tight, fast, controlled,

+1  Beyer T1, also HE-560

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #18,994 of 46,514
  Here is mine.The clamping pressure is too much for me i can't wear it that long
frown.gif

Rather than start bending them I left mine when not in use stored over a couple of hard back books placed together they will very soon become nice and comfy and you will forget all about the initial clamping pressure most can suffer from.

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #18,995 of 46,514
Rather than start bending them I left mine when not in use stored over a couple of hard back books placed together they will very soon become nice and comfy and you will forget all about the initial clamping pressure most can suffer from.

I would still suggest to bend to metal plates, because your way is mostly putting pressure on the pads and the plastic.

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #18,998 of 46,514

May I advise against that kind of sale.  You'll always attach the loss of your music to that child...

...I'm 44 and my father still refers to me a "the reason he lost his GTO".  Nice stuff to hear all your life, eh?

Wow, that's rough.  Could be funny in a sense, but not to you, ever.

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #19,003 of 46,514

Have to say, didn't love 'em. A little too much something in the treble for me.

My next phones would probably be Audeze LCD2.

You might also look into the HE 560 in the LCD2 is on your short list. Congratulations on the new addition to your family. After that first rough year you will start to carve out your life again and headphones are a great place to start again! My daughter is 9 now, but I remember all of the challenges (nothing compared to the rewards) of being a new parent. Take some time now to enjoy your free time my man, because I hate to tell you this, but that is going to end for you! Still all worth it brother so enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back