Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #18,961 of 46,523
  Hi all. Due to a new addition to the family, my headphone days are sadly over. I've put my SB'd cap-modded Crack, my HD650s and a couple of tubes (GEC brown base & TS 5998) on eBay UK. They're all pretty cheap. 200 quid for the Crack. 90 for the phones. 40 for the tubes. They've just got to make way. Pretty gutted to be honest as the SB Crack + GEC & E80CC + HD650s are basically the best I've ever heard music but yeah, a bittersweet feeling, I suppose.

Do you have a link or a search term?  I am not able to find the listing (unless it's restricted to UK only).

Congrats on the new addition, but sorry the phones have to go.

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #18,962 of 46,523
  I still am a fan of the HD650...Still one of the most tonally accurate cans to my ears.

All this talk of the treble being too muted is a load of crap in context to a reality based reference.

Of all the headphones I own the HD650 is exacto (the most correct) with treble levels when I reference the percussion and imaging test track....coming from a drumming background with lots of cymbal experience.

I can't stand how Senheisser turned its back on THE sound that MADE IT FAMOUS. 

The HD600 has the EXACT same strengths and weaknesses as the HD650 in terms of articulation and they sound fundamentally the same to me with only a tiny variance...the difference is easily made up with the volume control or playing a different track.  HD650 in the studio....believe it....very common.

HiFiman might have brought this sound over to us poor ass summit fi excluded...Hifiman are fast becoming legends...Robin Hood for us broke asses.  I might check out a pair soon.

I know I really enjoy the 560 (I'm a drummer as well). Not sure I can completely agree with you on the 650 treble, I did find a veil for certain. It wasn't a significant problem, but I did eventually have trouble with that aspect and sold mine keeping my DT 880 instead. That said, I have a great deal of respect for the 650 as they unquestionably for many years carried the torch where best cost/performance ratio was concerned (as did the DT 880) and offered a signature that was so engaging and musical to boot.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #18,964 of 46,523

How i wish it have the Q's large soundstage i love large soundstage and bright sound signature.Thanks! 

Then it wouldn't be the HD650. Your description kinda fits the HD800 though, you might want to shoot for that.

wink_face.gif

Can't afford it right now.Thanks! 

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #18,965 of 46,523

How i wish it have the Q's large soundstage i love large soundstage and bright sound signature.Thanks! 

The HD800 or Beyer T1 are what you're looking for. Which one is better for you?  answer is the HD800 If you prefer the HD600 over DT880, otherwise T1. 

I heard the HD800 and T1 with Burson Conductor at the shop.The HD800 to me is a bit harsh,T1 very similar to DT880 only deeper bass and smoother treble IMO the T1 is not really a big step up to DT880 these are my opinion for these Headphones i wish i can afford them.Thanks!

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #18,966 of 46,523
   I heard the HD800 and T1 with Burson Conductor at the shop.The HD800 to me is a bit harsh,T1 very similar to DT880 only deeper bass and smoother treble IMO the T1 is not really a big step up to DT880 these are my opinion for these Headphones i wish i can afford them.Thanks!

So, just enjoy of your DT880, they are great phones, or buy the HD600. I'm not sure if the HD650 works for you. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #18,967 of 46,523
  I'am about to purchased this headphone(HD650)how is it compared to DT880 600 ohms?
My source will be Laptop,TEAC UD H01,Bottlehead Crack and Littledot MK III for this headphone.THANKS!

I bought a pair of 650s shortly after buying my 880s. I love the 880s open, airy sound, but it gets a little thin for me, and with some songs the treble makes me wince.

The 650 is thick by comparison. Warm, and thick low-mid, like PDRM360 said. Just never felt like I got enough treble or upper-mid from them. Tried the HD600 and I felt like it was more of what I wanted: less thick with a nice upper-mid presence. To me it's more neutral and accurate than the other two.

BUT, I recently heard the 650s balanced out of Sennhesier's HDVA-600 amp and it shocked me. They sounded like the 600s with nice clarity, but had the added bonus of the signature nice, rich bass. They just sounded more impressive than the 600s. I ordered the amp and it should be here tomorrow. We'll see if my impression at home is the same. Hope so!

The perfect headphone recipe for me would be:

1.) Airy, open top of the DT-880 600 Ohm with slightly reduced treble, to reduce some of the tizziness or wince-inducing highs.
2.) Midrange clarity of the HD600
3.) Warm, thick low-mid of the HD650 (but not quite as much)
4.) Extended low frequency of the DT-880

Someone should make this!

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #18,968 of 46,523

1.) Airy, open top of the DT-880 600 Ohm with slightly reduced treble, to reduce some of the tizziness or wince-inducing highs.

They do its the Beyer T1
evil_smiley.gif

1.) Smooth and refined
2.) Insane level of detail/resolution
3.) Natural mids, beautiful vocal presentation
4.) Good bass, tight, fast, controlled,

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #18,969 of 46,523
I know I really enjoy the 560 (I'm a drummer as well). Not sure I can completely agree with you on the 650 treble, I did find a veil for certain. It wasn't a significant problem, but I did eventually have trouble with that aspect and sold mine keeping my DT 880 instead. That said, I have a great deal of respect for the 650 as they unquestionably for many years carried the torch where best cost/performance ratio was concerned (as did the DT 880) and offered a signature that was so engaging and musical to boot.

I think people sometimes mistake precision and amplitude. I take issue with the precision of how it renders cymbals, not amplitude. This is where planars sound really life-like in the treble to me. A precision to the top end that from what I hear...no dynamic can match.

Also, most drum tracks are compressed to make it easier on equipment. If the percussion imaging test is indeed an accurate and neutral recording as claimed, I support what I hear. If you are a drummer and you put cans through this track...you should also come to the conclusion that almost every can renders the kick drum too softly.

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #18,970 of 46,523

I'am about to purchased this headphone(HD650)how is it compared to DT880 600 ohms?
My source will be Laptop,TEAC UD H01,Bottlehead Crack and Littledot MK III for this headphone.THANKS!

I bought a pair of 650s shortly after buying my 880s. I love the 880s open, airy sound, but it gets a little thin for me, and with some songs the treble makes me wince.

The 650 is thick by comparison. Warm, and thick low-mid, like PDRM360 said. Just never felt like I got enough treble or upper-mid from them. Tried the HD600 and I felt like it was more of what I wanted: less thick with a nice upper-mid presence. To me it's more neutral and accurate than the other two.

BUT, I recently heard the 650s balanced out of Sennhesier's HDVA-600 amp and it shocked me. They sounded like the 600s with nice clarity, but had the added bonus of the signature nice, rich bass. They just sounded more impressive than the 600s. I ordered the amp and it should be here tomorrow. We'll see if my impression at home is the same. Hope so!

Thanks!

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #18,971 of 46,523
I have the 600s and the 650s, and when I have them connected to my dragonfly and my Vali and Sony receiver, they sound more similar to each other than different. The 650 sounds a bit warmer and richer a tad more refined, the 600 sounds punchier. But the differences are not huge.

Sometimes, I prefer the 598 to both, other times, the 600, other times, the 650. It's very difficult for me to pick a favorite.

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #18,972 of 46,523

I'm in a similar boat, I tried the HD-600 and first thought "Nice!", then realized I was missing the greater immersion of the HD-650...

The HD-600 feels "tighter" and more precise however, not sure exactly how to express it. The HD-650 has more "hiss" in the treble, for instance. Being a tad less thick would also be nice indeed.

I won't be going as far as a Sennhesier's HDVA-600 anytime soon, but I know the HD-650 are known to be harder to drive than the 600, so a better amp than my simple Asus Essence ST might do the trick.

The T1 would be a viable option if you like its kind of signature. I've only tried the T90 that's supposed to be its little brother and understand why a more refined and well-amped version such as the T1 can be a great HP, but the signature was far off the warmth of the HD-6x0, it didn't feel as enjoyable, although it was definitely more airy.

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #18,973 of 46,523
Neither the 600 nor the 650 are as easy to drive as the 598. But I have been able to get a lot of pleasure from them by connecting them to a dragonfly or e 12. But a tube amp and receiver definitely sounds better, no question.

I think the 650 is a tiny bit more sensitive than the 600, but it is hard to tell the difference.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #18,974 of 46,523
Neither the 600 nor the 650 are as easy to drive as the 598. But I have been able to get a lot of pleasure from them by connecting them to a dragonfly or e 12. But a tube amp and receiver definitely sounds better, no question.

I think the 650 is a tiny bit more sensitive than the 600, but it is hard to tell the difference.

With the contested notion of the rolled off treble of the 650 you would expect that a true tube amp sound might not be the best, but with my Valhalla (when I owned one) the 650 was quite engaging. I did prefer it with my solid state Auditor (sadly also gone), but the Valhalla was a great amp for the 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back