Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 15, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #18,901 of 46,525

I'm a fan of silver plated copper, but I will agree that an amp with more authority will give you more improvement for the buck.  There is a difference between "adequately" and "with authority"...

What kinds of SPC have you tried that made you a fan of the stuff?

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #18,902 of 46,525
I learned an expensive lesson with cables. I once had a 'posh' cable and went back to the hd600 one.

The 'posh' one was too heavy and the plugs dangled too far down from the cups. This meant that if I tilted my head, the plugs touched my shoulders. That and the weight made it very uncomfortable.

I then reverted to the hd600 lead because it has a dual plug so I can easily use it with grown up amps as well as portables.

Never again for me.

But that stock cable's muffled-to-death sound. 
ph34r.gif

A lightweight replacement isn't hard to build or expensive.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #18,904 of 46,525
I'm the last one that wants to start a cable debate, that being said:

What HP's have you upgraded cables on to determine that? ........................Have you ever swapped cables on the HD650? 

I make my own cables to fit my needs, I don't notice much of a change in SQ going from stock cable to mine, until I go back to the stock cable then I hear a slight difference, so there is a bit of change. And it is a fun thing to be able to create your own length,  material used, and set-up the HD650(or whatever) from SE to balanced when you own multiple amps.
I've swapped amp cables and headphone cables... I've also tried a few different amps... Why do you ask? Akg k240 and my friend's ath-m50x... It didn't make much difference. It might make a bigger difference on higher end stuff, but I doubt it would be night and day.

Aug 15, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #18,906 of 46,525
Isn't it nice to all be on the same page? No, cables do not provide 'night & day' differences but I'm cool with that. I just want to extract the very best from my gear. I'm happy with my O2, ethically as well as sonically.

Whatever cable I do get though has to be flexible & light which kinda tends to rule out the real high-end.

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #18,907 of 46,525

What kinds of SPC have you tried that made you a fan of the stuff?

I have 4 headphones with SPC from BTG Audio.  Some benefit more then others.  My HD25 had a drastic improvement, and my TH600 barely seemed different...

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #18,908 of 46,525
Isn't it nice to all be on the same page? No, cables do not provide 'night & day' differences but I'm cool with that. I just want to extract the very best from my gear. I'm happy with my O2, ethically as well as sonically.

Whatever cable I do get though has to be flexible & light which kinda tends to rule out the real high-end.

Gordon,

I have a Milan Acoustics cable on my 650's, 3M, light, very smooth and open and reasonably priced.

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #18,909 of 46,525

I picked up a ZY cable second hand and was rather surprised to find it noticeably clearer and more detailed sounding than the stock one.  That website that cannot be mentioned that may rhyme with assdop may currently have said cable listed.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #18,910 of 46,525

I have 4 headphones with SPC from BTG Audio.  Some benefit more then others.  My HD25 had a drastic improvement, and my TH600 barely seemed different...

Noted.  I'll give their SPC a go later.  I swear by stranded OCC copper, unless I want something cheap and in a hurry, then Mogami.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #18,911 of 46,525
i have tried probably 10 powercords....ditto rcas... headfone cables..over the last few years..
i treat them as "tuners" to finetune gears that i already LIKED/or bought :p
( same idea as swapping earpads..tubes...u get varying results..)
Is it worth buying ( or making them ), is subj to  your wallet n perceived value...v personal.

And if i dun try it out...listen to it...i wont know  if a particular item works on MY setup. 
At times, a certain combo of cables or tubes would suddenly yield exceptional improvement...synergy? as if a bottleneck somewhere is unclogged.. v interesting hobby this is.

some folks cant "hear the diff" in some stuff they tried...
probably their setup is maxxed out and cant be improved further..
or some physical nature of their makeup they just cant detect the diff...watever the reason, it is good for their wallet. :)

For those who could hear a diff...it is a curse of sorts$$...lolz
( ok dun shoot me....thanks )

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #18,913 of 46,525
Speaking of curses...

I bought 650s last April but exchanged them for 600s. The 650s were too dark and "conjested" for me, even with a new tube amp with "bright" tubes, etc.

I really like the 600s, though they aren't perfect.

I went to the head-fi meet in LA last weekend, and just before I left I stopped by the Sennheiser table. I listened to the 650s side by side with the 600s through their HDVA-600 amp. The 650 was running balanced. I was stunned because everything was there -- the lows, mids and highs -- all sounded just like I would want them to. The 600s sounded good too, like I'm used to them sounding, but the 650s sounded like them + lushishness. Deep, rich lows and smooth top.

I guess I'm back in the 650 club. I just ordered the phones and amp. And I'm a lunatic.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #18,914 of 46,525
If you're talking cables, please always tell what was on both sides. Else your experience means nothing.

Sometimes sound changes do happen,but it is related to what is plugged in and the respective impedances for 90% of the audible changes. also I would clearly say that a change doesn't have to mean improvement.
If the cable is too long or you need to go balanced change it, else don't bother IMO.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #18,915 of 46,525

+1  Except interconnect cables!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back