Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 11, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #17,401 of 46,499
I haven't found any genre that the 650's can't deal with but they're particularly good with sparse recordings like jazz, folk & country.

Incidentally, I can't say I've ever been much of a Grace Jones fan but her album, "Hurricane" sounds absolutely incredible on the Senn's. The production values are through the roof! The music is terrific too. All-in it's a fantastic showing off album.

May 11, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #17,402 of 46,499
Hey all,

I have had the HD650 for a month now (what an upgrade from my Beyers DT990! - much more to my sonic preferences) and while amazed by the sound - amped by Schiit Magni, something was not quite right to my ears. I have therefore spent some $ and got a nice hybrid amp from Slovakia - Canor TP-10. What a world of difference! The highs are now nice and sparkly, the lows are much more refined and tightened up. I was very skeptical before the purchase, was debating it for quite a while, but oh man, the HD650's really do need a good amp to make them shine. 

This is my endgame I believe, there is nothing in the sound that makes me feel like I'm missing out and needing an upgrade. Maybe later I'll upgrade my PC soundcard to a high-end model to improve the DAC, but that will happen in the distant future. 

Now let me get back to this:

Cheers!

May 12, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #17,405 of 46,499
One of the things I like most about the 650's so far is if you have music that isn't the most well recorded, that's perfectly fine and the 650's will give them the treatment they deserve and sound good! But if you throw a finely made production, the 650's have the ability to give you an experience that is special. So much versatility! I'm not saying they are the best at some genres, but they are way more versatile than I expected. Still in awe at how well electropop does with them.

May 12, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #17,406 of 46,499
I totally agree. It's also the first headphones I've owned where I'll listen to literally anything, all the way through.

May 12, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #17,407 of 46,499
  Still in awe at how well electropop does with them.

This is the headphone for me. I should be getting one by the beginning of July since I've finally got a job. 

May 12, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #17,409 of 46,499
  Nice!! What kind of amp do you plan to use?

I'm going to try them out of my receiver and see if they sound fine but would a Schitt Vali be enough? I was planning on that. Something under $200 would be great, or I can just wait for Christmas to get something even better. 

May 12, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #17,410 of 46,499
I totally agree. It's also the first headphones I've owned where I'll listen to literally anything, all the way through.

You're welcome. 
wink.gif

May 12, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #17,411 of 46,499
  I'm going to try them out of my receiver and see if they sound fine but would a Schitt Vali be enough? I was planning on that. Something under $200 would be great, or I can just wait for Christmas to get something even better. 

The older receivers work well (70's), but I've heard some newer receivers that sounded quite good also. You'll have to give it a listen. Some receivers that put out too much wattage will give the 650's some hiss in the background. This can be remedied with an attenuator. 

The Vali is a good pairing. The Asgard 2 is also good but is a bit over your budget. 

May 12, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #17,412 of 46,499

Schiit Vali works very well.

May 12, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #17,413 of 46,499

Lake People G103-S:
Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620082/lake-people-g109-g103-thread
Review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/lake-people-g103p-and-g109p-headphone-amplifiers

May 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #17,414 of 46,499
Looking to maybe see if I want these. 

I'm kind of choking on the price a little though... $499 for headphones and that's not including the price of a DAC or amp. Any thoughts on the total $$$ needed to get a decent setup? A friend recommended to me the $99 Schiit amp and DAC combo. 

And also, can anyone comment on how good iTunes AAC files will sound out of the HD650s? Or would it be necessary for me to replace all of the tracks I have of them with lossless?

May 12, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #17,415 of 46,499
  Looking to maybe see if I want these. 

I'm kind of choking on the price a little though... $499 for headphones and that's not including the price of a DAC or amp. Any thoughts on the total $$$ needed to get a decent setup? A friend recommended to me the $99 Schiit amp and DAC combo. 

And also, can anyone comment on how good iTunes AAC files will sound out of the HD650s? Or would it be necessary for me to replace all of the tracks I have of them with lossless?

The 650 do lesser music better than most, so you'd be fine there. Best budget setup would be the Vali. Best setup that I've heard period is the Crack amp...IMO. As far as dac goes, the odac is quite decent on a budget but the bifrost is special. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back