Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #16,981 of 46,499
Here you go. Note that they fit without closing the adjusters. I consider this a good thing. Admittedly this means removing the cable but that's maybe not such a bad habit to have. What you can't see is that there's about a 1/4" of lateral space in which the headphones could rattle. This is easily solved by carrying a large cleaning duster in the case also. There's plenty of room for the cable too.

4ef075bcf3e77e757e70737fbbb7d7da_zpsbfd00098.jpg

c7d64c603791cbea216e6af30e8132ca_zps8ba0e006.jpg

As they say, "absence makes the heart grow fonder". Welcome to the pleasure dome.

thanks a lot, how much you paid for it?

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #16,982 of 46,499

If you do a google image search "270 ohm 5w resistor" you will see both types they do the same thing just transfer the heat generated differently. 

Four white cement ones are used in the standard Crack when the speedball upgrade is add two are removed and two large heat sinks are used instead.

The gold ones are wire wound but in=cased in alloy to transmit the heat to the case. Crack case is open underneath with vent in the top plate for air circulation. 

Here's a pic of a standard Crack and then with speedball note the extra circuitry and the two large black heatsinks which replace the two long white cement resistors shown in the lower half of the first pic.

what does the speedball add to the standard crack?

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #16,984 of 46,499

Thanks!

Only temporarily, I am amping them with a FiiO E17. However, at the same time I ordered the HD 650s, I also ordered a FiiO E09K to supplement my existing FiiO E17. The HD 650s arrived first, but the FiiO E09K is "in the mail" and should arrive any day. The HD 650s are sounding great with the E17, but I ordered the FiiO E09K in order to have an appropriate upgrade in the amp department (within my budget) at the same time.

I got the HD 650s from American Musical Supply, which is an authorized dealer. I'm also claiming the $50 rebate that Sennheiser has on the HD 650s through the end of April if they are purchased new from an authorized dealer. I ordered the FiiO E09K from the Micca Store, which is an authorized FiiO dealer.

E9 does a good job with the HD650.  I had that setup for a while when I started and loved it.

Apr 19, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #16,985 of 46,499
  what does the speedball add to the standard crack?

It pretty much does exactly what Bottlehead say it does.

"So what does it do for the sound? The most immediate thing you will notice is a better sense of clarity. Things get tighter and quicker, bass and midrange get cleaner and more dynamic sounding, and the background gets more quiet. As with all of our upgrade kits, the improvement is easily heard."

http://bottlehead.com/speedball-upgrade/

Apr 19, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #16,986 of 46,499
I'll have more thoughts on this in time.. but I can say with confidence that the Geek Out 1000 is an absolutely TERRIFIC amp for the HD650.  It sounds like a 'mini-version' of my SB'ed Crack in many ways in that it's smooth, very spacious, dynamic, resolves effortlessly, and has that same kind of tonal richness and overall delicacy.  The sheer size of the sound that's coming from this little USB DAC/amp is something to behold.

Apr 19, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #16,987 of 46,499
It pretty much does exactly what Bottlehead say it does.

"So what does it do for the sound? The most immediate thing you will notice is a better sense of clarity. Things get tighter and quicker, bass and midrange get cleaner and more dynamic sounding, and the background gets more quiet. As with all of our upgrade kits, the improvement is easily heard."

http://bottlehead.com/speedball-upgrade/

Koenig is selling his beautiful crack with speedball...

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #16,991 of 46,499
I can't believe how good my HD 650's are for metal. I knew they were going to be good for jazz & folk (it's why I bought them) but nobody told me they were good with the likes of Megaherz, Oomph & Eisbrecher.

Tremendous :) :) :)

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #16,994 of 46,499
HD650 is versatile, this is one of the main reasons why I bought it :beerchug:  

I find it to be a great all rounder. It might not be great with classical, but for everything else I'm happy with the performance. 

It's very versatile. I use it more and more exclusively these days. I occasionally use my V-Moda's but only for their portability and/or isolation. The Q701's are a sideshow now. I don't really do classical or orchestral these days (4th mid-life crisis).

:) :) :)

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #16,995 of 46,499
I have owned the HD650 for a few months now, and the switch in tubes from a 5751 to a 12AX7{Gold Lion} in my Mad ear has made a great deal of difference......the more the new tube burns in the greater the HD650 sounds.

This headphone is much better than I first thought, and it was pretty good then.....just went to another level with the higher gain tube.

It definitely out performs its fairly low price tag.....I mainly listen to R&B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back