Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #16,832 of 46,514
Is that two or three pin? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #16,833 of 46,514
Does anyone know who makes a good case for the 650's as I'd like to protect my investment. I can't live without these headphones :) :) :)

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #16,834 of 46,514
After 3.5 years, I decided my HD650 pads needed to either be cleaned or replaced (disgusting I know). I decided to clean them first and I'm so glad I did. Gave them a good scrub with a toothbrush in some warm water with washing powder. Rinsed them properly and squeezed water out by compressing it with both hands. Chucked them in the dryer and they are now practically new looking and have returned to their original shape. Awesome.

Was afraid they'd get wrecked or I'd damage something whilst taking them off, but its so easy and makes the headphones feel new again.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #16,835 of 46,514
  Im looking to upgrade from the bose oe2 to the HD650, but i dont really know if it is worth it at all having in mind they will be plugged in to a xonar essence ST for now. My main concerns are the lack of bass and hollowness of the sound when connected to this sound card. The bose have the right amount of bass and they dont sound hollow but they dont sound that great either... Have any of you had the chance to compare the bose oe2/ae2 to the senns?

I would not worry about the essence, it can do a really nice job with the 650's.  I have the stx version , same thing really, and used it with the 650's for two years before upgrading to a Garage 1217 Ember amp last year.  It was a very nice upgrade, I had been looking at outboard dacs, but the specs are not much better uptil you hit close to $8 or $900.00.  The specs on the dac for the essence series is right up there with the better dacs.  Use what you have in the essence until the fever hits you at the same time as your wallet is flush with cash, and then look into an amp.  Check this link for the essence........http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/high-end-pc-audio,review-32894-5.html....the whole article......http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/high-end-pc-audio,review-32894.html.  When I am not using the Ember, I use optical out to a Harman Kardon avr 510 to Electro Voice Sentry V speakers and it sounds really great.  You may need a better amp than what you are using to drive speakers, but the onboard Dac is really quite good.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #16,836 of 46,514
Huge thread, hard to navigate.
Can someone tell me, quickly, what is the consensus regarding the best portable amps for my new HD650?
Looking at RSA Mustang P-51, Leckerton UHA 6S Mk2 and such.
Much appreciated.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #16,837 of 46,514
  After 3.5 years, I decided my HD650 pads needed to either be cleaned or replaced (disgusting I know). I decided to clean them first and I'm so glad I did. Gave them a good scrub with a toothbrush in some warm water with washing powder. Rinsed them properly and squeezed water out by compressing it with both hands. Chucked them in the dryer and they are now practically new looking and have returned to their original shape. Awesome.

Was afraid they'd get wrecked or I'd damage something whilst taking them off, but its so easy and makes the headphones feel new again.

I've done this at least three times. After the third wash the shape didn't come back very well. so this is the last go on these pads. I have a replacement set ready. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #16,838 of 46,514
  Anyone compared the BH Crack + Speedball with Woo WA3?

Price for BH Crack with Speedball package = $279 + $115 + $79 + $6 = $479 (not including the labour to build it up)
Price for Woo WA3 = $520

The prices are similar, but the WA3 definitely has a way better metal finishing and appearance. Now, how about the sound and synergy?

I owned both concurrently for some time, and it was a very easy decision to sell the WA3.  The crack is more detailed, dynamic and punchy - overall more involving to listen to - and, for the record, I was running some super pricey amperex 7308 pq's (among others) and a 5998 in my Woo.  Hd650's sounded good with both amps - albeit substantially better with my crack (even in its stock form).  Hd800's also sound great with the crack, whereas the Woo OTL's are, IMO, to slow and tubey sounding to show off what hd800's can really do.  

As noted repeatedly here and in the crack thread, particularly with the speedball in place, the crack is simply a better, more sophisticated circuit than what is under the hood in both the WA3 and frankly, the doubly expensive WA2.  Neither Woo amp loads the tubes with constant current (unless - you do what head-fi member grindingthud did and go to great lengths to diymod the Woo to copy the crack speedball design!).  The Woo chassis are also too small to add film output caps which have a clear impact on the sound quality.  Jamie has posted some excellent write ups on this subject in the crack and cap threads if you're interested.  For further reference, people used to pay out the nose to put blackgate electrolytics in their woos, but frankly, blackgates suck a phatty when you compare their signal dissipation to even cheap film caps.

All in all, the funds bottlehead allocates to quality components and circuity, woo spends on heavy case work and labor to assemble the amps.  There's nothing wrong with that, but if you're willing to pick up an iron and follow the step by step directions, crack far outclasses the WA3 sonically.

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #16,840 of 46,514
I bought a headphone case from Amazon. They are called CASEBUDi Headphone Case - Large. They make other sizes, but this size fits mine well.

Thanks for the tip but sadly not available in Scotland. I'll maybe have to check out camera bags. It doesn't have to be bombproof.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #16,843 of 46,514
Does anyone know who makes a good case for the 650's as I'd like to protect my investment. I can't live without these headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Beyerdynamic makes good cases that are compatible with HD6x0 (the nylon or pleather ones for DT770/880/900/T70/T90, or the more utilitarian case that is included with MMX300).
There's two fleaBay sellers that make good-looking cases as well.  I've never tried them.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #16,845 of 46,514

Users who are viewing this thread

Back