Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #16,771 of 46,499

Next time it'll be all straight & lined up. Less amateurish all 'round. Ran out of light.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #16,772 of 46,499
My poor wallet! :) got me spending $$$ on. iTunes when I got my HD 650.. Had to upgrade my amp too. I'm now using Just Audio AHA 120's with them and it's amazing. Low bitrate files literally unlistenable now... But anyway...it's the journey we are all on... : :p

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #16,773 of 46,499
I never heard Garage 1217 so can't comment but agree that Crack with stock tubes is not very special. Only upgrading tubes will let him shine

I have a Project Horizon from Garage 1217 that I assembled. Have been using it with a 6dj8 holland orange globe for several months. Excellent sound stage, 3d like and even freq. response (nice mid-range) with good bass. No complaints so far.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #16,774 of 46,499
Im looking to upgrade from the bose oe2 to the HD650, but i dont really know if it is worth it at all having in mind they will be plugged in to a xonar essence ST for now. My main concerns are the lack of bass and hollowness of the sound when connected to this sound card. The bose have the right amount of bass and they dont sound hollow but they dont sound that great either... Have any of you had the chance to compare the bose oe2/ae2 to the senns?

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #16,775 of 46,499
Welcome to HF...sorry about your wallet. 
biggrin.gif
 Even on a sound card the 650 will sound appreciably better than the bose. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #16,776 of 46,499
  Im looking to upgrade from the bose oe2 to the HD650, but i dont really know if it is worth it at all having in mind they will be plugged in to a xonar essence ST for now. My main concerns are the lack of bass and hollowness of the sound when connected to this sound card. The bose have the right amount of bass and they dont sound hollow but they dont sound that great either... Have any of you had the chance to compare the bose oe2/ae2 to the senns?

What type of music are you going to be listening to with the HD's?

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #16,777 of 46,499
  Welcome to HF...sorry about your wallet. 
biggrin.gif
 Even on a sound card the 650 will sound appreciably better than the bose. 

I have always felt the bose have a 150$ pricetag but a 60$ sound. However they sound relatively balanced and they have the correct amount of bass although not very detailed.

If the HD650 have the same or slighty higher amount of bass overall out of the essence ST i will be happy, considering it is the superior can by far.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #16,779 of 46,499

I have always felt the bose have a 150$ pricetag but a 60$ sound. However they sound relatively balanced and they have the correct amount of bass although not very detailed.

If the HD650 have the same or slighty higher amount of bass overall out of the essence ST i will be happy, considering it is the superior can by far.

While the 650 will knock your socks off and curl your toes with the Crack/SB, you will still get a very enjoyable experience with the 650 and that sound card. Doesn't it have adjustable gain or is that the STX?

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #16,780 of 46,499

While the 650 will knock your socks off and curl your toes with the Crack/SB, you will still get a very enjoyable experience with the 650 and that sound card. Doesn't it have adjustable gain or is that the STX?

You mean the different levels of gain of the card? i leave it on normal gain as thats more than enough volume for me.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #16,781 of 46,499
I really want to buy the crack + speedball but know for a fact that I am horrendous at soldering. Is there really no way I can buy one prebuilt? No one os offering that service out there? I never see used ones being sold (I am always looking for them).

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #16,782 of 46,499
I really want to buy the crack + speedball but know for a fact that I am horrendous at soldering. Is there really no way I can buy one prebuilt? No one os offering that service out there? I never see used ones being sold (I am always looking for them).

Bottlehead actually has a builder that works with them. Just check their forums, they have the cost of the build listed. (This is in addition to the cost of the kit.) You could also ask around Head-Fi. I'm sure you'd find a couple of people that could offer their services. 

Edit: The cost to get a pre-built Crack from Bottlehead is about double the cost of the kit, around $550 if memory serves.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #16,783 of 46,499

Dude, I have both of them.

After getting my HD650, I would have to say Bose makes shyt ....not that shiit. lol. The crappy OE2 sound worths at most $30.

I'm pretty sure you would be blown away after getting your hd650. It is quite bassy and much detailed. Way better than OE2, even without an amp after your xonar.  

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #16,784 of 46,499
Any reason to try hd650? I had hd600...thought about upgrading, needed better soundstage...more bass. Went with jvc dx-1000. Got all I wanted. Is there anything I missed passing hd650
?

mainly I've been thinkin about that because hd650 drivers are not that expensive. I could make some decent headphones out of those. But if those are not that much more better than hd600 i'll pass. Hd600 was an excellent headphone but compared to dx1000... It was like comparing to corolla to a ferrari. Not a fair  deal.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #16,785 of 46,499
  Bottlehead actually has a builder that works with them. Just check their forums, they have the cost of the build listed. (This is in addition to the cost of the kit.) You could also ask around Head-Fi. I'm sure you'd find a couple of people that could offer their services. 

Edit: The cost to get a pre-built Crack from Bottlehead is about double the cost of the kit, around $550 if memory serves.

Yes, but at $550, why wouldn't you consider a Woo WA3, which has similar sound (according to InnerFidelity) but way better metal construction and more elegant appearance?

I don't think buying BH Crack pre-built is a good idea. Also, I think BH should not significantly raise the price of Crack - from $219 to $279 is too much an increase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back