Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #16,741 of 46,499
Communique by Dire Straits has never sounded this good to me. The HD650's have a very intimate sound compared to my other headphones. I had a brief dalliance with Patricia Barber earlier, The drums & percussion on Nardis are exceptional now. Actually, drums is where I'm most impressed so far, nice transients. I've read some say they feel the bass to be a tad light but it fits these ears like a glove.

This sounds like a real class act to me.

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #16,742 of 46,499
Another noob question :wink: 
Does the quality of the soldering in AMP's in general can determine the quality of the sound ? can you have interference or something because of bad soldering?
Or soldering its just like ON/OFF, Working/Not Working? 

still have some concerns on the build up of the crack. 
Does building the stock crack may have more expenses than the price of the kit it self (290$)?

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #16,743 of 46,499
Soldering might take some techniques. For example, temp cannot be too high, otherwise the iron might burn the board or wire.

The other thing i can think of is the choice of solder. Good solder can definitely improve the conductivity.

So for those who built up the BH Crack by yourselves, what solder do you guys recommend?

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #16,744 of 46,499
So your basicly saying that soldering is not only ON/OFF there is also middle ground where there is sound but it might be bad? 

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #16,746 of 46,499
Something like this...?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hpQ_aehfPrY
They're unbelievably smooth. I'm coming from Q701's and it's so welcoming. Like getting out the shower and jumping into a nice fluffy warm bed. And done with absolute precision so far. I listened to a Röyksopp album there, Junior. There's a song on Junior called "The Alcoholic". In that song, with the HD650's, the strongest instrument or sound is a synthesizer that in everything else I've heard it on is insignificant. On these it's the lead. How can that be?

How long do these need to burn-in? I'm not hearing any veil. Actually, I use JRiver on Mac and I accidentally started out with the HD650's using an EQ I use for the Q701's, to tone down the 2k hump. Once I realised my error they really started to sing.

I need a longer cable though. Not necessarily better mind, longer would be good enough. One good thing about AKG is that they supply two cables with the Q's, one of 10ft & another of 20ft. That's a handy length, gets me to my couch where I can lie down.

The comfort is smooth too. The whole thing feels kinda like an Audi.

Congrats =) we have another HD650 diehard now it seems. Welcome!

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #16,748 of 46,499
Everyone was right. The HD650 sounds wonderful when run on a good amp. I had a chance to hear them on my home theater set up with my reference Denon receiver with a reference Pioneer Elite Bluray player and it sounded great!  I think I would enjoy these for home use but not for on the go since it sounds like the Pure II amp will not drive it well enough to bother.  

I wonder about the Portaphile 627X?  Here are the spec's for this amp...does this amp have enough voltage?

Three Channel Design, Isolated Output Ground, Four Layer PCB, 3 x OPA627 , 6xBUF634′s, Jung Multiloop Topology, Powered by a Dual 3.7V Lithium Ion (Included, Rated for 500 Charges), Voltage Increased Internally to over 18Vpp,  USB Adaptor/Charger Included (5V), Runs over 8-10 Hours on a full charge, Battery charges in about 7 Hours when Amplifier is charged while off, External Hi/Low Gain Switch (7/2), Small Size (2.75″ x 4″  x 1.12″), Elna Cerafine Caps, Instruction Sheet

Or the Portaphile MICRO?

Three Channel Design, Isolated Output Ground, Four Layer PCB, 3 x OPA627 (STANDARD) , 1XMUSES01 + 1×627 (OPTIONAL,  50.00 EXTRA) 6xBUF634′s, Jung Multiloop Topology, Powered by Single 3.7V Lithium Ion (Battery is rated for 500 Charges), Voltage Increased Internally to over 18Vpp, Power Adapter/Charger Included (5V), Runs 4 Hours on a full charge, Battery charges in 2.5 Hours when Amplifier is charged while off, External Hi/Low Gain Switch (OPA627 7/2, MUSES01 7/1.2), Small Size, Elna Cerafine Caps, Instruction Sheet

It would be great if either of these two amp would sound good for a HD650 portable set up, they are nice and small like the AK120  :)

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #16,749 of 46,499
I recall someone before mentioning one of the ALO portable amps working very well with the HD650. But TBH i think the HD650s are still more of a home solution... open cans just aren't ideal for on-the-go... unless you consider portable to be like you're staying at diff places all the time.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #16,750 of 46,499

So for those who built up the BH Crack by yourselves, what solder do you guys recommend?

Most electrical solder, if it says rosin core; your good to go.

You can just ask someone to build it for you, or build it yourself which I thought was enjoyable. Some people just get antsy with upgraditus, and if you built the crack, you will know how to upgrade its components without having to buy another amp entirely. At first, I thought it was going to be a pain in my ass, but when you finish it and it works and music flows inside you Hallelujah .  Ofcourse, YMMV keke

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #16,751 of 46,499
if you want to make life really easy, buy some leaded cardas eutectic solder. it skips a stage changing from liquid to solid and helps avoid cold joints (where the solder makes a physical but not an electrical connection.) that said, any 40 percent lead rosin core solder is very easy to work with if you have a high watt iron or soldering station. I had used an iron once before attempting my crack and had 0 issues with cold joints. a YouTube video or two will teach you everything you need.

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #16,752 of 46,499
Thanks a lot, skeptic and smallmany. Good to hear that regular lead rosin core solder is sufficient. I am not too familiar with the soldering material, so my initial thought was "do i need to find some silver solder so that it might sound better"...lol

I find one YouTube clip from InnerFidelity, where Tyll briefly introduces how to build up the BH Crack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5rWCEux_BI

And the article: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/marvelously-addictive-bottlehead-crack-page-2

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #16,753 of 46,499
  But TBH i think the HD650s are still more of a home solution... open cans just aren't ideal for on-the-go... unless you consider portable to be like you're staying at diff places all the time.

I agree. It would be weird to see someone out and about with 650's on. Not to mention people around you would hear your music almost as clearly as you did.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #16,754 of 46,499
if you want to make life really easy, buy some leaded cardas eutectic solder. it skips a stage changing from liquid to solid and helps avoid cold joints (where the solder makes a physical but not an electrical connection.) that said, any 40 percent lead rosin core solder is very easy to work with if you have a high watt iron or soldering station. I had used an iron once before attempting my crack and had 0 issues with cold joints. a YouTube video or two will teach you everything you need.

+1 on the cardas eutectic solder its a quality product and easy to use.  One meters worth off of ebay will be plenty for a Crack+Speedball.

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #16,755 of 46,499
I agree. It would be weird to see someone out and about with 650's on. Not to mention people around you would hear your music almost as clearly as you did.

I've just got back from a three mile morning walk with two dogs, an SGN3/E18 & HD650's. We live in the sticks, literally no-one for miles. The E18 does a fair job of driving these headphones. Volume @ 7, low gain, bass boost - if ya' feel lucky - on. I think I'm really beginning to appreciate how fast these are, they're rhythmic & timing abilities are frankly awesome to my ears.

I only have two negatives...

1. I'd be incredibly self-conscious wearing them in public as portables.

2. I can also hear Emmerdale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back