Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #15,602 of 46,554
Is the FioE09K enough to power the HD 650s? I have a emotiva mini that I just got for my HE-4's, and I was justwondering if I should keep the E09K or use it with my emotiva mini if that is okay.

Is it enough power...yes. Does it make a good pairing...not so much IMO. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #15,603 of 46,554

Every Grado I've ever gotten rid of/auditioned I haven't missed. They've never been my cup 'o tea except maybe teh RS1. It's that flexibility from the HD 650 that makes it hard for me to imagine ever getting rid of them. I've yet to find a headphone where I can confidently say that it's a clear replacement for my HD 650. I always go back to them.

It's comments and testimonies like these that really convinces me that I should just build a system around the HD650, than to hunt around for new headphones 
wink_face.gif
, especially when what I listen to hugely depends on my mood, time of day, current trends, and the weather forecast (I wish I was joking).

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #15,604 of 46,554

Yeah, I noticed that, too.  And you're right, from what I hear of the HD800, it's an acquired taste.  The good thing about meets, is it is probably a lot easier to be unbiased in impressions because you're not pressured into that 'I bought, so I've gotta somewhat like it' criteria.  Not saying everyone is like that, but you know there is nothing more disappointing than being unhappy with an expensive audio purchase :p.

It wasn't an acquired taste for me, the second I put on a pair, I knew I had to have some. Don't have any yet but it is tax refund time and I am ready.
   As for the HD650, I flip back and forth between that and my HD600's I would have to say that in fact, whichever pair I have on is my favorite at that moment. I like the 600 for critical listening but the 650 does something to the music I can not describe, makes it more enjoyable is all I can say. I have one other headphone that does the exact same thing, and that is my HD580's.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #15,605 of 46,554

Yeah, I didn't care for the Grado SR325i out of the Asgard 2 so much that I sold them.  Bright amp and bright headphones normally don't match too well; at least in my opinion.  However, I can't say that I miss the Grado's all that much.  The HD650 is so flexible, I haven't found anything that I don't enjoy on them.  This includes EDM, too.

I have the HF-2s for that exact reason.  It might be the bassiest Grado out there, which isn't saying much....

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #15,606 of 46,554
I used to love Fiio e10, e7, e17 with denon d2000, d5000, triple fi 10, ue900. But with Sennheiser HD 650, whole fiio range fails. Currently I am trying Dragonfly 1.0c and 1.2 they sound much better with Sennheiser HD 650. I

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #15,607 of 46,554

I like the 600 for critical listening but the 650 does something to the music I can not describe, makes it more enjoyable is all I can say.

Vs the 600: the 650 is slightly warmer.. but is more resolving, possesses a larger soundstage (in depth, width, and height), boasts better extension (in both directions), features noticeably better dynamics and texturing ability (especially through the bass.. and that's not the slightly enhanced midbass talking, btw).. a midrange that I found even more captivating than the 600's midrange.. and despite the 650's treble being (comparatively) shelved down.. it's smoother, more detailed through the upper frequencies.

That's the magic, bud.

wink_face.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #15,610 of 46,554

Vs the 600: the 650 is slightly warmer.. but is more resolving, possesses a larger soundstage (in depth, width, and height), boasts better extension (in both directions), features noticeably better dynamics and texturing ability (especially through the bass.. and that's not the slightly enhanced midbass talking, btw).. a midrange that I found even more captivating than the 600's midrange.. and despite the 650's treble being (comparatively) shelved down.. it's smoother, more detailed through the upper frequencies.

That's the magic, bud.

wink_face.gif

^^ This...the 650 presents a very layered and rich. As soon as I put them on, I start listening and enjoying the music instead of analyzing the sound of hp's reproduce. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #15,611 of 46,554

sharing my rig...

audirvana player > iMac (mid2011) > schiit modi > burson ha-160 > hd650 (stock cables)...

SWEET!

ah hd650 my first true high-end headphones, remember the first day i got em 5 years ago, music ! now after these 5 years together, and many other flagships, in terms of music enjoyment, they are always there to amaze and make me feel like the first time, once a flagship, always a flagship !

these must be the best 2nd hand can bargain, mine still looks like new ! ~more or less...  sound even better tho... mind you...

can't wait for my conductor to arrive, and plug them in, and yes take some photos too, love that contrast !

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #15,612 of 46,554

It wasn't an acquired taste for me, the second I put on a pair, I knew I had to have some. Don't have any yet but it is tax refund time and I am ready.
   As for the HD650, I flip back and forth between that and my HD600's I would have to say that in fact, whichever pair I have on is my favorite at that moment. I like the 600 for critical listening but the 650 does something to the music I can not describe, makes it more enjoyable is all I can say. I have one other headphone that does the exact same thing, and that is my HD580's.

I guess I'll know when I hear them :p.  I had both the HD600 and HD650 simultaneously for a while and ended up liking the HD650 for that extra thump and extension.  That and I didn't have quite enough music that was of 'fantastic' production quality.  The HD650 were more forgiving.

I have the HF-2s for that exact reason.  It might be the bassiest Grado out there, which isn't saying much....

Yeah, the 325i's were nice and thumpy.  I had no complaints on bass, but it could get shrill depending on the music I would play with it through the Asgard 2.

That's the magic, bud.

wink_face.gif

I found the HD600 to be slightly more open and airy in the treble than the HD650.  Could be the difference in sources and amping, but bass is by far spot on.

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #15,615 of 46,554
...the hd650drivers are honey-coated, no?  :p

========================================

there was a time when i had the BCL, Burson160, EF5 hybrid,
the one that thrilled me most was the EF5...a little tube magic :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back