Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #15,348 of 46,514
  I'm currently listening to FLACs on my computer with the HD 650s through a Magni/Modi stack. Everything is great, except I would have preferred a little better treble clarity. 

I'm thinking of upgrading the stock cables to a silver cable. I heard this improves the treble a bit.

Any recommendations? So far, the Toxic Silver Poison 6 ft one looks pretty attractive. I heard this has a very long wait time? I'm based in the US. Are there any other cables that wil give me better bang-for-buck? Thanks.

The cable could improve the treble just a bit, and you won't have a day and night change in highs. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #15,350 of 46,514

The cable could improve the treble just a bit, and you won't have a day and night change in highs. 

that BIT is the MAGIC .... 
a little artisansalt to finish that dish. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #15,351 of 46,514

that BIT is the MAGIC .... 
a little artisansalt to finish that dish. 

That BIT could be a MAGIC, depends to the expectation of the MAGIC. 
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #15,352 of 46,514
K guys, let's stop it right there. I smell another cable debate here.

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #15,353 of 46,514
  I'm currently listening to FLACs on my computer with the HD 650s through a Magni/Modi stack. Everything is great, except I would have preferred a little better treble clarity. 

I'm thinking of upgrading the stock cables to a silver cable. I heard this improves the treble a bit.

Any recommendations? So far, the Toxic Silver Poison 6 ft one looks pretty attractive. I heard this has a very long wait time? I'm based in the US. Are there any other cables that wil give me better bang-for-buck? Thanks.

For the price of a Silver Poison cable you could purchase another headphone to compliment the HD650.

Or - if you must sink more funds into your HD650 rig - you could sell the Magni and add what you would've spent on a cable towards a BH Crack.

Another option would be to address your source. Offload the Modi and pay the difference for an Uber Bifrost. This will set a good foundation for other upgrades down the path.

You'll get more tangible improvements with these options. An overpriced cable for your entry level setup is a waste IMO.

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #15,354 of 46,514
Cable can improve the clarity a bit, but your talking about that last 1%.  I agree with the above, upgrade the amp or dac before playing with cables.  A crack would be a different ball game compared to a Magni, and by far make the biggest difference for $ spent.

Having said that i use my HD650 with a Bottlehead S.E.X. via an upgraded cable running balanced with an XLR connector.  The biggest improvement for clarity/treble is to take them off and put my Grados on
popcorn.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #15,355 of 46,514

For the price of a Silver Poison cable you could purchase another headphone to compliment the HD650.

Or - if you must sink more funds into your HD650 rig - you could sell the Magni and add what you would've spent on a cable towards a BH Crack.

Another option would be to address your source. Offload the Modi and pay the difference for an Uber Bifrost. This will set a good foundation for other upgrades down the path.

You'll get more tangible improvements with these options. An overpriced cable for your entry level setup is a waste IMO.

Cable can improve the clarity a bit, but your talking about that last 1%.  I agree with the above, upgrade the amp or dac before playing with cables.  A crack would be a different ball game compared to a Magni, and by far make the biggest difference for $ spent.

Having said that i use my HD650 with a Bottlehead S.E.X. via an upgraded cable running balanced with an XLR connector.  The biggest improvement for clarity/treble is to take them off and put my Grados on
popcorn.gif

Completely agree but prefer DacMagic Plus over Bifrost Uber with S.E.X.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #15,357 of 46,514
I got to try HD650s recently.  I find the rumors of them being 'dark' and 'veiled' extremely exaggerated.  Through a Schiit setup (Mjolnir + Gungnir), they were actually pretty bright.

I really liked them, and I'm thinking these will be my next step up when I eventually decide to upgrade headphones.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #15,358 of 46,514

This. If you want to settle down with the 650, I would urge you to consider the BHC. Just wow...
eek.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #15,359 of 46,514
  I got to try HD650s recently.  I find the rumors of them being 'dark' and 'veiled' extremely exaggerated.  Through a Schiit setup (Mjolnir + Gungnir), they were actually pretty bright.

I really liked them, and I'm thinking these will be my next step up when I eventually decide to upgrade headphones.

'Bright' is the general sonic quality of Schiit equipment (based on Asgard 2 and Magni + Modi).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back