Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #14,476 of 46,499

It depends. Only if your current soundcard is really crappy and you notice interference or the sound is just bad. You can pick up the Modi for like $99, so about $200 for the modi/magni if you're on a budget and wanna keep the 650's. If you don't wanna invest an extra $200 then just return them or sell them.

Yeah, my soundcard is pretty crappy and noisy. Thus why I run everything through my FiiO E07K, but those are not enough to drive the HD650.

Thanks for the info Zalithian, I will have to think about what to do....

No problem. Good luck!

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #14,477 of 46,499
Mine arrived today and are still sitting brand new wrapped in the box. I was so excited when I ordered these. Though now I am hesitant to open them as I realized after reading this thread that I do not have anyway to drive them with.

Thinking I might just turn around and sell them here at a reasonable price. I wish I could keep them, but I just can not afford to buy a decent Amp and DAC to pair with them.
frown.gif

Before giving up, I think you should consider picking up a used Audinst MX1.  I've seen them go for as low as 100-110 bucks used on these forums and imo, is a great deal.  It's a pretty decent dac/amp and in my experience, I enjoyed its sound signature more than the schiit magni/modi.  I also used it with my 600 ohm beyerdynic DT880 and in high-gain mode, it was more than adequate.  Should work fine for the HD650s and you can always resell it if you ever plan to upgrade your dac/amp down the line.

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #14,478 of 46,499

You can get a decent enough amp for like $100. The Schiit Magni.

I asked this quesiton before, but wouldn't I need a good DAC as well? Because my source is my desktop computer [FLAC Files of course].

Use your Fiio as your DAC feeding something like a Vali from Schiit.  Rave reviews on early releases of the Vali.  Should be an excellent budget setup for your HD650s.

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #14,479 of 46,499
Use your Fiio as your DAC feeding something like a Vali from Schiit.  Rave reviews on early releases of the Vali.  Should be an excellent budget setup for your HD650s.

I will have to research that... Thanks again for the responses.

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #14,480 of 46,499

Hey guys,

At one point I preferred the 650's over the 600's for guitar based music. They had this nice extra warm blanket which the 600 didn't. I decided to sell them both but now looking again and considering the 650 most eventhough I wasn't that content with them in the end. What comes to your minds when I want the step up from the 650's? Perhaps a little more weight signature-wise. And in the sane price bracket like give or take €500.

add a silver plated copper cable to the hd650

Perhaps. What do you feel is the improvement and what brand of cable do you speak of?

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #14,481 of 46,499

You said, you were loving the mellow sound. You could always buy a pair of new drivers if it bugs you enough.

It comes and it goes. Sometimes I think I'm perfectly happy with my old HD650s, some other times I wonder what does the new version sound like. 
Almost 7 years after the introduction of the revised driver, is the difference that noticeable? I guess all the hype has passed by now. Or maybe after 7 years no one owns the old model anymore! 
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #14,482 of 46,499

add a silver plated copper cable to the hd650

If he wants a different sounding headphone, I really don't think an SPC cable is going to help all that much.  Removing foam strategically is free and alters the sound much more than any cable could.  This comes from trying many different cables on my headphones including the HD650s when I had them.

For Moriez:  what do you mean by weight?  The HD650 are already quite warm with pretty strong bass.  

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #14,484 of 46,499
SO! Back to the beginning.... are these cans still as good and as praised as they were back in 2005??? I need a pair of cans that will rival the detail and clarity of my Shure se215s (mind you that they fit in my ears PERFECTLY and i get an amazing sound signature from them), i need isolation and detail with a punchy, but not basshead, bass. I have $350 give me some options!! Or convince me that the HD650s are a logical upgrade from my shures....

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #14,485 of 46,499
  SO! Back to the beginning.... are these cans still as good and as praised as they were back in 2005??? I need a pair of cans that will rival the detail and clarity of my Shure se215s (mind you that they fit in my ears PERFECTLY and i get an amazing sound signature from them), i need isolation and detail with a punchy, but not basshead, bass. I have $350 give me some options!! Or convince me that the HD650s are a logical upgrade from my shures....

I think you would love everything about them in comparison to the SE215s, plus your desire for detail and clarity... except they are open and lack any form of isolation.

You may want to consider the Shure SRH1540 as an alternative if you need isolation for noisy environments or to keep wives/girlfriends others from being annoyed by your music. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #14,487 of 46,499

I asked this quesiton before, but wouldn't I need a good DAC as well? Because my source is my desktop computer [FLAC Files of course].

You gotta start somewhere.  Will an improved DAC help?  Sure.  But do what you can afford, and add later...

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #14,488 of 46,499
  Judging from your last sentence you've understood perfectly what I meant FraGGleR. If the 600's are so to speak the least weighty and the 650's are in the middle, then what headphone is their meatier brother?

Judging by your profile, you aren't going to do much better for bass weight than your D5000s.  If you want to have more of that warm midrange that the 650s have along with a better bass response, the only headphones that pop into my mind are the Audeze LCD-2.2s, but they are out of your price range.  Your DAC and amp are very solid.  A tube amp might also be something to experiment with if you want to go down that path with the Sennheisers.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #14,490 of 46,499

You can get away with something cheap in the DAC department. I mean if you were to go the DVD/CD player route, you can pick up a Pioneer Elite for not that much which have Burr Brown DACs in them. Sure they aren't up to par with what Schiit can deliver, but it would be better than nothing.

Since you have the FiiO, I wouldn't bother until you save around some money.

Really DACs are going to be for serious listening, like 24/192khz stuff. Depending on the source they can clean up the music a lot or little.

You'd be surprised how much onboard audio has come on a motherboard. Even the Realtek cheap isn't bad at all, you can do a little better upgrading to a Xonar SC.

Again depends what you want to do, your budget, etc.

Frankly if you want the best audio quality experience ever you need to do away with headphones entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back