Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #14,446 of 46,525
Little Dot MK III, Schiit Valhalla, or if you are up for some soldering Bottlehead Crack.

Schiit Vali, at $119, sounds like it's going to be a winner too; but it's not released yet. (Schiit said sometime this week, hopefully.)

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #14,447 of 46,525
I think SS amps sound best with the HD 600/650. I don't think they need the warmth of a tube amp due to their existing sound signature. That being said, I recommend something like the Asgard or even the Soloist if your budget can handle it.

Regarding the E12, it should be fine. I have the E12 DIY on order and I'm looking forward to comparing it to the Asgard, Valhalla and HiFi-M8 with my HD 650.

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #14,448 of 46,525
I think SS amps sound best with the HD 600/650. I don't think they need the warmth of a tube amp due to their existing sound signature. That being said, I recommend something like the Asgard or even the Soloist if your budget can handle it.

Regarding the E12, it should be fine. I have the E12 DIY on order and I'm looking forward to comparing it to the Asgard, Valhalla and HiFi-M8 with my HD 650.

Have you ever heard HD 650 with Hybrid/Tube amps? Which ones?

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #14,452 of 46,525

For desktop amp, I'll throw the Asgard 2 in the ring. Really, really good at $250. I spend a good bit of time with this combo. 

I agree with MattTCG, Asgard 2 is an option or you may want to try the new Schiit Vali if you are interested in a tube amp when it is released. I believe the price point will be around $119. The Vali is supposed to be released today and there is a lot of buzz going around it (you can read the Schiit Vali thread here -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/685162/new-vali-schiit-amp ) You can read some reviews on that thread from users who got to test it out already and I am sure there will soon be a full thread dedicated to it once everyone gets their hands on it =)

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #14,453 of 46,525
  Following ChubbsAU's useful question, here's another. What amps do people recommend for the HD650s full stop. Where is heaven to be found?

From your profile, it appears you have a decent source and choice of single ended, solid state amps. I'd look at a Bottlehead Crack with speedball to add the choice of tube goodness.

You really don't need to spend megabucks to hear the HD650 at its best. This notion that it transforms into an uber headphone is a remnant from when the HD650 was at the top and the market offered less choice in quality, affordable components (amps, dacs).

I understand the M-Dac has xlr outputs, so you could try going the balanced route to hear what the fuss is about. The Mjolnir is a fine amp for the HD650 in balanced mode. However, I'd only recommend that if you had other headphones for it (orthos perhaps down the track). Otherwise it's overkill, IMO. The HD650 ceiling isn't as vaunted as what some posts would have you believe.

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #14,454 of 46,525
Apologies to ChubbsAU for surfing on, and widening, his question. Thank you 
beerchug.gif
to all who have contributed thoughts. I'm having a pretty good time with my present set-up, but I am aware that I need a much better source. After that, it's serious thinking about the amp. To tube or not to tube, that is the question... And balanced? Believe me, I'm reading this forum very carefully.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #14,456 of 46,525
And for those of you talking about it. The Vali is up on Schitts website and in stock to order.

Question, I understand that the Vali is a good amp and priced well. My question is... what about a DAC? I currently run my FLAC files on my computer through Foobar2000 and my FiiO EO7K. How would I run the headphones through the FiiO DAC and the Schiit AMP? Whould I have to get a diffent DACto run with the Schiit?

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #14,458 of 46,525
Sennheiser's pricing on replacement pads for HD 600 / 650 is absolutely ridiculous! I hand washed a pair of pads, and both of them broke at the exact same point after drying (top of inner pad stitching). Makes me wonder if there is some planned obsolesce going on with these extremely overpriced pads.

People rant that Beats are overpriced. Now how about that ludicrous price on a pair of pads?

I can understand Audeze's pricing etc, they're much smaller and their pads are in real leather, but Sennheiser is huge and have sold many units that use these pads over the years and ... well, I just find them extremely overpriced.

Akg pads are also overpriced depending on where you buy them from. Even on Amazon sen pads are high.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #14,459 of 46,525
  Apologies to ChubbsAU for surfing on, and widening, his question. Thank you 
beerchug.gif
to all who have contributed thoughts. I'm having a pretty good time with my present set-up, but I am aware that I need a much better source. After that, it's serious thinking about the amp. To tube or not to tube, that is the question... And balanced? Believe me, I'm reading this forum very carefully.

It really depends on what you're looking for endgame... it seems that no combo will be 100% perfect. Having recently heard a bottlehead crack with the speedball upgrade... I must say they really do syngergize well with the smooth sultry tone of the HD650... it really does bring out the musicality and euphonious listening experience. Yet, through the balanced Schiit stack, the HD650 soundstage and details are stepped up. So between these two, it really depends on what I'm listening to. If it's smooth vocal jazz from say... Sophie Milman, Diana Krall or Melody Gardot... I'd likely prefer the Bottlehead Crack. But if it's orchestral work like Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor... the HD650 wins hands down for me as it transports me to the audience in the concert hall. As I generally favour the soundstage improvement for the feeling of a live concert... I prefer the Mojo/Gungnir (hence why I have it
biggrin.gif
).

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #14,460 of 46,525
Thanks Joebobilly... another really useful post for me. I'm going to try and listen to the HD800s (and the HD650s as my reference) with the HDV800s somewhere, and it would be really useful to hear the Mjolnir, but I don't know if I will find a stockist in the UK. The Bottlehead Crack will probably have to wait until I have more time. My upgrade path seems to be selecting itself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back