Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #11,821 of 46,514
Sorry I have to keep clearing my thoughts up. I was thinking of trying the E11 with the Samsung 3 and GR07 IEM for use in the gym. I really never had any intention for using the E11 with the HD650, I ordered it for the HD598 which I returned before I got an amp because I was looking for something a little more engaging I guess I will never know how they would have sounded with an amp. Maybe that's why the timing of all these questions are important so that I can try things and be able to return them if needed. I for some reason I don't like to hold on to a product once I decide to return it. Your of the opinion of the E12 will not do justice to the HD650 is understood but their are other opinions out there. Any thoughts on the E09/07k as an all around device? Sounds like a Lot of people like the Schilts and O2 and using a desk top for the HD650. I guess I was fighting it for awhile.
Thanks

Here's an idea, if you are just using an iem, why not just get the E09/07k and use the 07k as your portable amp/DAC instead of the E11? Saves you having to buy the E11. :)

Having said all of that, I have heard the E09/07k with the HD 650, but whilst they do do the HD 650s justice, the SQ is still a cut below the schiit stack or the O2/ODAC stack. So for the same price I will continue to suggest the last two. Obviously, investing in even better amps and DACs will improve SQ but the change becomes less and less noticeable whilst price begins to exponentially rise.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #11,822 of 46,514
Quote:
Here's an idea, if you are just using an iem, why not just get the E09/07k and use the 07k as your portable amp/DAC instead of the E11? Saves you having to buy the E11.
smily_headphones1.gif

Having said all of that, I have heard the E09/07k with the HD 650, but whilst they do do the HD 650s justice, the SQ is still a cut below the schiit stack or the O2/ODAC stack. So for the same price I will continue to suggest the last two. Obviously, investing in even better amps and DACs will improve SQ but the change becomes less and less noticeable whilst price begins to exponentially rise.

Yes I was thinking the same thing about the E9 combo I know it can be had for a good price. But like you said it may not stand up SQ wise and the reliability maybe a problem but it would kill two birds with one stone. I heard their maybe newer versions. I still think your right about the Schilt or O2. Thanks. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #11,823 of 46,514
Quote:
Yes I was thinking the same thing about the E9 combo I know it can be had for a good price. But like you said it may not stand up SQ wise and the reliability maybe a problem but it would kill two birds with one stone. I heard their maybe newer versions. I still think your right about the Schilt or O2. Thanks. 

No worries! Let us know what you end up getting and how much you enjoy the HD 650s when you do.

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #11,824 of 46,514
I have had the e17/e09k combo for over half a year of very satisfied listening
biggrin.gif
.  Don't know about the e07... from reviews I read, the e17 is more capable... but the e07 is more affordable.  But in terms of function, it's really great cause I can use the e17 during the day for my Shures on the go... then when I get back home at night, just dock the e17 as a DAC, and be welcomed home by the lush loving of the HD650s
redface.gif
.  For the price it really gives pretty solid SQ imho... fairly neutral, with a shade of warmth would be my 2 cents.  Even after recently demoing a Lyr/BF combo, I feel the Fiio combo isn't THAT far behind... not the same level (nor price either)... but I think it deserves more credit than what people give it.  Yes, the M&M Schiit is very very likely better for the price... but it doesn't have the portability option. 

My personal plan for my next upgrade will be a the A2/Bifrost... but I'll likely keep my e17 as a portable amp
rolleyes.gif
really like that thing.
BUT, in the end... the HD 650s will speak for themselves
popcorn.gif
  Hope that helps!

P.S. Well ripped/recorded 320kbps mp3s will be just fine... I did some A/B for a FLAC that was ripped to 320 kbps and only noticed the difference to be very very minor when I was super focused and looking for it.  Simply put, I would easily not be able to tell if I wasn't listening to one right after the other for direct comparison.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #11,825 of 46,514
Quote:
Do you think it's a significative upgrade to change my hd-650 with Silver Dragon cable for a Lcd-2 v.2?

I have a Darkvoice 3322 amp and I don't want to change it soon.
I have a Rega p2 turntable and a Denon DCD-2560 cd player. I'll probably upgrade my cd player when I'll can.

Thanks!

I recently demoed a pair... indeed calling the LCD2 a direct upgrade for the HD 650 would be a very apt description.  Very similar sound signature but with stronger, tighter bass, and better resolution overall.

HOWEVER.  Warning for those who have big heads (mine's huge
rolleyes.gif
)... the LCD2s are very heavy and hard to fit on a big head (or big ears).  Comfort was a very big issue for me and became a deal-breaker.  So sadly, I will never own a pair of these (unless they change the fit and size).

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #11,826 of 46,514
Quote:

I recently demoed a pair... indeed calling the LCD2 a direct upgrade for the HD 650 would be a very apt description.  Very similar sound signature but with stronger, tighter bass, and better resolution overall.

HOWEVER.  Warning for those who have big heads (mine's huge
rolleyes.gif
)... the LCD2s are very heavy and hard to fit on a big head (or big ears).  Comfort was a very big issue for me and became a deal-breaker.  So sadly, I will never own a pair of these (unless they change the fit and size).

Or unless you shrink your head. 

Seriously, though. I just know I'm not going to get better for comfort and SQ than the HD650... Sure, I would like to listen to the LCD2 for the hour that people can handle the weight.  But that's a lot of money for an hour at a time when I can listen to the HD650 for hours straight! 

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #11,827 of 46,514
Bought a HD650 a couple hours ago for my birthday which is in early May. Can't wait
size]
 Also, they come with a 1/4 to 1/8 plug right?

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #11,828 of 46,514
Quote:
Bought a HD650 a couple hours ago for my birthday which is in early May. Can't wait
size]
 Also, they come with a 1/4 to 1/8 plug right?

Yep, they do.

And congratulations!  Welcome to the club. :)

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #11,829 of 46,514
Congrats and welcome to the family :)

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #11,831 of 46,514
Gotta say... I'm loving the HD-650 for electronic dance music. I know most people listen to EDM for the beats and the bass, but I also really love all the sweet, synthesized bits of the genre. So, surprise, surprise, the HD-650 does all those synth parts really well, given most such parts in the mid-range. Sounds sooooo good. Soooooooo good. So sweet, yet crisp. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #11,832 of 46,514
I just received my 650 a week ago, and I can't stop listening to all kind of music. For now, I really think the cans shine with classical and jazz, especially solo piano. I am just listening to Benjamin Grosvenor solo playing Chopin, Liszt and Ravel (Decca) : the sennheisers are precise in the mids and trebles, the bass is detailed and goes deep, with quite a large soundstage. It's like *you* were playing behind the piano.

I still have to find a nice amp. I tested the CMoyBB from JDS. It's a good start, at least far better than my computer's or phone's output. Next try will be with tubes :)

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #11,834 of 46,514
I was interested in the Valhalla rather than the Lyr. I read somewhere that an OTL design is the best match for the 650s... Maybe I'll rather try my first DIY with a Bottlehead Crack...

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #11,835 of 46,514

Users who are viewing this thread

Back