Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #11,791 of 46,499
Do you think it's a significative upgrade to change my hd-650 with Silver Dragon cable for a Lcd-2 v.2?

I have a Darkvoice 3322 amp and I don't want to change it soon.
I have a Rega p2 turntable and a Denon DCD-2560 cd player. I'll probably upgrade my cd player when I'll can.

Thanks!

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #11,792 of 46,499
I was also thinking the LCD2. Would that be a lot better than the HD650 in all regards?

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #11,793 of 46,499
Think of it as a super HD650. Been able to A/B them, and while I love the HD650, the LCD2 is a clear upgrade, though similar tonality.

The LCD2 has a bit more weight in sound, the bass is considerably fuller, and the organic tone becomes even more realistic and less headphone like. The sound is more dimensional and less linear in presentation.

I honestly didn't expect it to be that much of an improvement, but with careful listening you can hear the difference in refinement.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #11,796 of 46,499
Quote:
Do you think it's a significative upgrade to change my hd-650 with Silver Dragon cable for a Lcd-2 v.2?

I don't have any experience with either the LCD-2 or the Silver Dragon Cable. However I have some experience with the HD650 and an equinox cable. It is a little controversial in terms of if cables do anything at all but to me, cables in general do make some nice improvements. They are however not the type of improvement jump that I would justify a $300+ purchase. if you're looking to spend money for a significant upgrade, I believe your money will be better spent going for the LCD-2.

If you feel very happy with your HD650 and can find a good deal on the silver dragon cable (maybe $150 or so), definitely jump on it but overall I feel that if you have the money to afford something like the LCD-2 (which I'd be quite jealous :p), go for that instead. If you're not quite satisfied with the HD650, no amount of cable/equipment upgrades will change your mind. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #11,797 of 46,499
Think of it as a super HD650. Been able to A/B them, and while I love the HD650, the LCD2 is a clear upgrade, though similar tonality.

The LCD2 has a bit more weight in sound, the bass is considerably fuller, and the organic tone becomes even more realistic and less headphone like. The sound is more dimensional and less linear in presentation.

I honestly didn't expect it to be that much of an improvement, but with careful listening you can hear the difference in refinement.
Does the LCD2 change much with different amps though?

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #11,798 of 46,499
It's not as hard to drive, and sounds good off practically anything.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #11,799 of 46,499
Quote:
Thanks so much, it helped a lot:). So the HD650 is good with all genres? And it doesn't destroy bad recordings right? Because I'm mainly looking for a headphone thats good for synthesizer and electronic sounds. Any recommendations of headphones for this type of music?

I listen to nearly everything depending on mood and it all sounds great, these headphones are just perfect for me :) Only switching sometimes to SR225i when I'am in mood for bright cans, usually for metal and dance, definitely not for example when I'am in mood for jazz.

As for synthetic stuff ... oh my god, this is so good on HD650, I can feel the energy from music and that's what I love about them 
tongue_smile.gif
 :

Could listen to his 2 albums all day long and they are free for download in FLAC, I'am definitely gonna donate him some cash for this piece of music.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #11,800 of 46,499
The main idea of my question is, with my Silver Dragon cable for HD650 (create a significative difference for me) matching with my amp Darkvoice 3322 (amp creating a nice combo with my HD650), do you think I can create a better combo with only my Darkvoice and Lcd-2.

If I have to change my amp for matching with LCD-2 or if my cable, amp, HD-650 generating a better combo sound, i am not interested to pay much more for LCD-2...

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #11,801 of 46,499
Quote:
The main idea of my question is, with my Silver Dragon cable for HD650 (create a significative difference for me) matching with my amp Darkvoice 3322 (amp creating a nice combo with my HD650), do you think I can create a better combo with only my Darkvoice and Lcd-2.

If I have to change my amp for matching with LCD-2 or if my cable, amp, HD-650 generating a better combo sound, i am not interested to pay much more for LCD-2...

I have a Darkvoice 337Se, and it sounds significantly better with the HD650s then the LCD-2s,  I like them of of an SS amp or a hybrid amp. I have not heard/owned the 3322, but i would imagine it having a similar signature.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #11,802 of 46,499
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks so much, it helped a lot:). So the HD650 is good with all genres? And it doesn't destroy bad recordings right? Because I'm mainly looking for a headphone thats good for synthesizer and electronic sounds. Any recommendations of headphones for this type of music?

I listen to nearly everything depending on mood and it all sounds great, these headphones are just perfect for me :) Only switching sometimes to SR225i when I'am in mood for bright cans, usually for metal and dance, definitely not for example when I'am in mood for jazz.

As for synthetic stuff ... oh my god, this is so good on HD650, I can feel the energy from music and that's what I love about them 
tongue_smile.gif
 :

Could listen to his 2 albums all day long and they are free for download in FLAC, I'am definitely gonna donate him some cash for this piece of music.

Links for FLAC? That was a great song. Hm, this or the LCD-2.. Maybe the Mad Dogs and the HD650's? I've heard the LCD-2's are a huge step up and its not a night and day difference..

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #11,804 of 46,499
Apr 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #11,805 of 46,499
Please can someone helped me get this straight. I have a 2009 MacBook for my I tunes and using it to stream Mog music service at 320 KBPS this all sounds great with my GR07 and A900x. I'm looking to take a leap to the HD650  which I have on order refurbished. I get great volume from my Mac Book I don"t turn it up more than halfway. If I purchase the Fii0 e12 to keep things portable will I be on the right track? Or am I missing something, do I need a DAC a CD source, or a desk top Amp. I also have as source a 2013 Ipad mini and a Samsung galaxy 3 phone. Sorry this thing with the 300ohm and a need for Amp/Dacs are new to me. Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back