Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #9,211 of 46,535
Quote:
Which DAC you looking at? i'm making my purchase list for next year and also in the market for a DAC to go with the violectric v100 > HD650.

Hmmm... not sure if it will help, since I'm planning on purchasing the Matrix M-Stage DAC (not the crummy one that comes with the M-Stage USB amp), to pair with the Matrix M-Stage amp that I have. I have no idea how it would pair with your violectric v100.

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #9,213 of 46,535
Well, I've just joined you guys! I've had the HD600 in the past, but I could never really enjoy their sound, as they sounded too analitical for me. I just hope these HD650 can finally make me happy... 
smile.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #9,214 of 46,535
I've just collected my HD650 after deciding on these over the HiFiman HE-400. Currently have them connected to a Colorfly C4 and initial impressions are very impressive 
L3000.gif
. Definately a more neutral headphone than my 4.Ai IEM's and Beyerdynamic T70p

At the moment I am using the stock cable but wondered if anyone could comment on whether an aftermarket cable would improve these even further? Being based in the UK I was thinking of a Toxic Cables one (I already have a Silver Poison on my Heir 4.Ai and this made a vast improvement).

I have the option of either another Silver Poison (Silver and Gold Alloy) or the Silver Coated Copper option.......any comments on what people think would be more appropriate for the HD650. Not sure if the Silver Poison would be too bright for the 650's??

Cheers

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #9,215 of 46,535
IMO the after market cables make the smallest difference in the chain. Don't look for any significant difference or change in sound signature with a cable. Now, this is coming from a guy who does like after market cables. I hear very good things about Toxic but have not owned one. I have owned two cables for the 650...moon audio silver dragon and the Q Audio cable (newest build).

The moon audio makes the most appreciable difference in the sound signature. It's ability to making the 650 more "resolving" in certainly there. But ergonomically the cable is not great. It's thick and not very flexible. 

The Q cable is a work of art. Soft and very pliable. It's a wonderful silk braid that is just fantastic to use. Steve's cables now come with adapters so that you can use them with other hp's. 

So in short, buy an after market cable for: a custom length, a softer easier to use experience and for very modest changes in the sound. 

gL!!

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #9,218 of 46,535
All I'm reading has me lusting in my heart for the Schiit (the Leckerton 6S has gotten some good write ups), trying to let the account have a little break...

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #9,221 of 46,535
Quote:
I love the layout of the mobile app though...very nice!!

^^

@tdock...we are in agreement on the 650. There is certainly no veil for me or mid bass hump. The bass is deep and textured and I go as far as to call the treble "energetic." But the mids are the real star of the show. Completely addictive.

I just can't stop listening to the mids on these. Honestly, I just can't see myself changing anything in my current setup except maybe some tubes on the lyr. It just sounds that good to me. 
wink.gif

Are you still running the e17 as a DAC for your main setup?  I'm currently on the e17/e09k setup.  It's solid (no pun intended), but I'm considering the upgrade to the Lyr, but hoping that i might not have to drop the large dough for the bifrost.  I figure changing the e09k to the Lyr would be more cost effective than changing from e17 to the Bifrost?

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #9,222 of 46,535
Quote:
Finally got my Schiit straight! The lyr came in and I hooked it up. I was getting ready to do some A/Bing with other amps and look for the subtle improvements and decide how worth it really is. The only problem with that theory is there was absolutely nothing subtle about this Schiit! This pair were made for each other. Really happy right now....
The thing that really blows me away so far (I have only been listening for 30 mins so I'm not gunna say too much) is the way this paring somehow is taking older tracks I have or tracks I have previously not liked the production quality and makes SOMETHING at least in that track really shine.
Okay I have to thank the guys on here who influenced me to change my order from the asgard to the lyr at the last second. Tks for talking me into this Schiit.
(also thanks to Malveaux and TwinQY)
Edit: BTW the "demo" deal I got from audio advisor was a good choice -- came with GE tubes and I could swear this box has never been opened. Tape was not broken. Anyway......

Nice to hear Doc, glad it all worked out. It is definitely a great pairing (Lyr/HD650).  

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #9,223 of 46,535
Quote:
Are you still running the e17 as a DAC for your main setup?  I'm currently on the e17/e09k setup.  It's solid (no pun intended), but I'm considering the upgrade to the Lyr, but hoping that i might not have to drop the large dough for the bifrost.  I figure changing the e09k to the Lyr would be more cost effective than changing from e17 to the Bifrost?

I changed to the lyr and will never look back. The dac will make the least difference in the chain. Still..buy a bifrost used here!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back