Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #9,196 of 46,506
Chiming in a month after getting my HD650s and a few weeks into using them as primary headphones. I have to say, the Bifrost+Lyr combo with these is pure bliss. Vocals are just fantastic. I probably have easily 100 hours of head time with them already... I'd say 3-6 hours a day on average, in one month is 90-180hours. So even saying 150 hours is a good estimate. Either way... Lana del Rey's latest album, Ride, is a lot of gorgeous vocals... her voice is just haunting with these. It's so real.

Man, it's funny when people say the HD650 is one of the most overrated headphones... because it's totally not. It's pretty much everything I could have wanted in a pair of headphones. I still want some quicker, slightly brighter ones with just as good bass, so I got the Custom One Pros but they had a clipping in the right ear any time I turned it up moderately loud. Turns out I'm not the only one with that exact problem, so we sent them in to Beyer and I'm getting a replacement... asked them if I could get a DT880 instead 
biggrin.gif
 doubt they will do it, but it never hurts to ask. But when I heard the COPs, the bass was great, better than the HD650 (not as accurate or refined though) but just more pleasing. Except, there were parts in a song that I knew were there, but couldn't hear them very well. The HD650s might be warm sounding, but they are definitely detailed. Whereas the COPs don't actually resolve detail as well, but I can't expect them to for half the price. But I got my DT880s for 180, my COPs for 150... if the bass wasn't so epic on the COPs I'd just return them and buy some DT880s when they drop down from $240... that kind of clarity is awesome. A nice changeup. Just wish they had a LITTLE more bass.

But I'm rambling -- I'm just trying to say how impressed I've been with the Lyr/HD650 combo. It's very pleasing and with a little EQ for more bass punch it blows me away from time to time. Some dubstep just sounds great because they use more midbass than subbass, like Kill The Noise. The song Saturn from their newest EP (Black Magic) has this one part where it just gets to the right frequency... it's like a bassgasm. Love it.

HD650... 2 BIG thumbs up. 
cool.gif

And I've been avoiding these forums so I could stop spending money and appreciate what I have. And appreciate I have :)

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #9,198 of 46,506
Quote:
Chiming in a month after getting my HD650s and a few weeks into using them as primary headphones. I have to say, the Bifrost+Lyr combo with these is pure bliss. Vocals are just fantastic. I probably have easily 100 hours of head time with them already... I'd say 3-6 hours a day on average, in one month is 90-180hours. So even saying 150 hours is a good estimate. Either way... Lana del Rey's latest album, Ride, is a lot of gorgeous vocals... her voice is just haunting with these. It's so real.

Man, it's funny when people say the HD650 is one of the most overrated headphones... because it's totally not. It's pretty much everything I could have wanted in a pair of headphones. I still want some quicker, slightly brighter ones with just as good bass, so I got the Custom One Pros but they had a clipping in the right ear any time I turned it up moderately loud. Turns out I'm not the only one with that exact problem, so we sent them in to Beyer and I'm getting a replacement... asked them if I could get a DT880 instead 
biggrin.gif
 doubt they will do it, but it never hurts to ask. But when I heard the COPs, the bass was great, better than the HD650 (not as accurate or refined though) but just more pleasing. Except, there were parts in a song that I knew were there, but couldn't hear them very well. The HD650s might be warm sounding, but they are definitely detailed. Whereas the COPs don't actually resolve detail as well, but I can't expect them to for half the price. But I got my DT880s for 180, my COPs for 150... if the bass wasn't so epic on the COPs I'd just return them and buy some DT880s when they drop down from $240... that kind of clarity is awesome. A nice changeup. Just wish they had a LITTLE more bass.

But I'm rambling -- I'm just trying to say how impressed I've been with the Lyr/HD650 combo. It's very pleasing and with a little EQ for more bass punch it blows me away from time to time. Some dubstep just sounds great because they use more midbass than subbass, like Kill The Noise. The song Saturn from their newest EP (Black Magic) has this one part where it just gets to the right frequency... it's like a bassgasm. Love it.

HD650... 2 BIG thumbs up. 
cool.gif

And I've been avoiding these forums so I could stop spending money and appreciate what I have. And appreciate I have :)

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #9,199 of 46,506
Quote:
^^ Tell me more about these magical Amperex tubes and where they can be bought...

For anyone interested, start reading page 285 of the "Schiit Lyr, the tube rolling thread" here on Head-Fi
smile.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #9,200 of 46,506
Finally got my Schiit straight! The lyr came in and I hooked it up. I was getting ready to do some A/Bing with other amps and look for the subtle improvements and decide how worth it really is. The only problem with that theory is there was absolutely nothing subtle about this Schiit! This pair were made for each other. Really happy right now....

The thing that really blows me away so far (I have only been listening for 30 mins so I'm not gunna say too much) is the way this paring somehow is taking older tracks I have or tracks I have previously not liked the production quality and makes SOMETHING at least in that track really shine.

Okay I have to thank the guys on here who influenced me to change my order from the asgard to the lyr at the last second. Tks for talking me into this Schiit.

(also thanks to Malveaux and TwinQY)

Edit: BTW the "demo" deal I got from audio advisor was a good choice -- came with GE tubes and I could swear this box has never been opened. Tape was not broken. Anyway......

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #9,201 of 46,506
Hi-I just got back from a dog walk, like to listen to music while strolling. I took my JVC HA-S500, a well regarded, not-too-expensive over the ear phone, my ipod touch/Studio V, and listened to some jazz Brad Meldhau's Live in Tokyo (I left the 650's home thinking I looked to silly walking around outside with them on, though my teen daughter enlightened me, telling me I looked just as silly with the JVC's). Nice sound, not too involving, felt like changing albums but kept listening. Got home, swapped for the 650's...WOW. It breathes life into the performance, making what had sounded like an academic solo piano outing become an involving performance, with warmth of instrument and soul. I BELIEVE!! I BELIEVE!!! PRAISE THE LORD, I BELIEVE!!!

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #9,202 of 46,506
The JVC's are more comfortable IMO, though.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #9,203 of 46,506
Quote:
Hi-I just got back from a dog walk, like to listen to music while strolling. I took my JVC HA-S500, a well regarded, not-too-expensive over the ear phone, my ipod touch/Studio V, and listened to some jazz Brad Meldhau's Live in Tokyo (I left the 650's home thinking I looked to silly walking around outside with them on, though my teen daughter enlightened me, telling me I looked just as silly with the JVC's). Nice sound, not too involving, felt like changing albums but kept listening. Got home, swapped for the 650's...WOW. It breathes life into the performance, making what had sounded like an academic solo piano outing become an involving performance, with warmth of instrument and soul. I BELIEVE!! I BELIEVE!!! PRAISE THE LORD, I BELIEVE!!!

I think the HA-S500 is a good (surprisingly good) headphone. At its price, I haven't heard better. The HD-650 is a noticeably improvement at everything except isolation, although the 'S500 isn't exactly an award winner there.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #9,204 of 46,506
So... I don't know if anyone remembers my posts a few pages back regarding my Senn HD-650's condition (whether they were broken or not), but I've pretty much concluded that it is indeed because of my soundcard that I'm hearing so much noise/distortion: because I caught the same distortion and noise with my cheap $20 Sony headphones, as well as my cheap $20 Altec Lansing desktop speakers. It was just that my Sony headphones and Altec Lansing speakers were so bad that they masked the noise/distortion.

So I've decided to wait a little to save up a bit of cash to purchase a DAC within a month or so (something I've actually already wanted to do before I noticed the distortion, but is now something I quite frankly can't wait to do now).

But in the meantime, I'm planning on just dealing with the distortion while using these Senn HD-650's (but admittedly, it's almost unbearable)... the only question is, will constantly playing these headphones with a noisy source (my motherboard's onboard audio, with a SnR of 96db) over the lone run, damage the headphones? Does the distortion/noise from the crummy source damage the headphones at all? Or, would I still be safe using the Sennheiser HD-650's, even though it's playing all the noise and distortion, until I get the new DAC (which will be in about a month or so)?

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #9,205 of 46,506
Quote:

I think the HA-S500 is a good (surprisingly good) headphone. At its price, I haven't heard better. The HD-650 is a noticeably improvement at everything except isolation, although the 'S500 isn't exactly an award winner there.

I like the S500-was one of my favorite phones till the 650's arrived. It's not just specifics of the sound...detail, or bass, or imaging. The 650's are incredibly involving-I want to bop or dance when I listen to music on them.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #9,207 of 46,506
A crappy source is unlikely to damage your headphones, but it's sort of like buying a Stradivarius and saying, "man, I don't have a bow, so I'll just use a chicken bone to play this for a while".

So... Does the distortion/noise from the crummy source damage the headphones at all? Or, would I still be safe using the Sennheiser HD-650's, even though it's playing all the noise and distortion, until I get the new DAC (which will be in about a month or so)?

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #9,208 of 46,506
Quote:
A crappy source is unlikely to damage your headphones, but it's sort of like buying a Stradivarius and saying, "man, I don't have a bow, so I'll just use a chicken bone to play this for a while".

LOL! No, I definitely agree. It's damn near unbearable listening to the setup as it is now (even though I am using the HD-650). As mentioned before, I always had in mind to buy a new DAC in the next month; I just had no idea it would be this bad.
blink.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #9,209 of 46,506
Quote:
Finally got my Schiit straight! The lyr came in and I hooked it up. I was getting ready to do some A/Bing with other amps and look for the subtle improvements and decide how worth it really is. The only problem with that theory is there was absolutely nothing subtle about this Schiit! This pair were made for each other. Really happy right now....
The thing that really blows me away so far (I have only been listening for 30 mins so I'm not gunna say too much) is the way this paring somehow is taking older tracks I have or tracks I have previously not liked the production quality and makes SOMETHING at least in that track really shine.
Okay I have to thank the guys on here who influenced me to change my order from the asgard to the lyr at the last second. Tks for talking me into this Schiit.
(also thanks to Malveaux and TwinQY)
Edit: BTW the "demo" deal I got from audio advisor was a good choice -- came with GE tubes and I could swear this box has never been opened. Tape was not broken. Anyway......

Fantastic combo. Just liquid smooth together. PM me if you are looking for suggestions in trying some new tubes that have good synergy with the 650s. The GEs are decent, but the Lyr shines with better tubes.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #9,210 of 46,506
Quote:

LOL! No, I definitely agree. It's damn near unbearable listening to the setup as it is now (even though I am using the HD-650). As mentioned before, I always had in mind to buy a new DAC in the next month; I just had no idea it would be this bad.
blink.gif

Which DAC you looking at? i'm making my purchase list for next year and also in the market for a DAC to go with the violectric v100 > HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back