Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #45,436 of 46,565
Well I've gone and done it finally. Sounds quite good. I didn't remove the foam first, just stuck the copper weights on top. They sound fresh, a bit clearer and faster somehow.

DSC_0489.JPGDSC_0490.JPG

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #45,438 of 46,565
Well I've gone and done it finally. Sounds quite good. I didn't remove the foam first, just stuck the copper weights on top. They sound fresh, a bit clearer and faster somehow.

DSC_0489.JPGDSC_0490.JPG
I have similar impressions from my recently CC mod-applied 650s! I think the bass tightened up very nicely and seems cleaner. I also just applied the rings over existing foam. I get more texture and details in the low end and the impression of a little more extension. I was planning of fiddling with the foams, but after some hours of listening, I'm skeptical.

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #45,439 of 46,565
I have similar impressions from my recently CC mod-applied 650s! I think the bass tightened up very nicely and seems cleaner. I also just applied the rings over existing foam. I get more texture and details in the low end and the impression of a little more extension. I was planning of fiddling with the foams, but after some hours of listening, I'm skeptical.

Agreed. I don't think it's necessary to remove the foam. 650 sounds damn good now, so weighty in the notes with better clarity and yes tighter bass. I was really enjoying it last night.

Nov 8, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #45,440 of 46,565
Just curious, for those who ordered the Custom Can DIY kit, how long does it take for CC to ship them out?
I ordered mine (2nd and 3rd sets) on October 29, and they arrived here (NY) today. 8 days, not including day of order. But I live near JFK, can’t say for Singapore.

13DF722C-F064-42B0-89A6-B141E1FEBE3A.jpeg

I respectfully disagree with my respected friends above regarding the removal of the rear foam disc. I removed it from all of mine years ago, long before I ever considered ordering the CC rings. I think it adds another level of transparency - less noticeable on the 600s, more obvious on the 650s. To MY ear, in MY system. And the CC foam bullets can be used (or not) to subtly adjust further for taste, and to act as a dust guard if you’re concerned about that. The downside, of course, is that you really can’t put that foam disc back once you remove it.

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #45,441 of 46,565
I ordered mine (2nd and 3rd sets) on October 29, and they arrived here (NY) today. 8 days, not including day of order. But I live near JFK, can’t say for Singapore.
I saw them on the pics of headphones thread (no words) and almost commented on how nice the copper looks on them. 😁

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #45,443 of 46,565

13DF722C-F064-42B0-89A6-B141E1FEBE3A.jpeg

I respectfully disagree with my respected friends above regarding the removal of the rear foam disc. I removed it from all of mine years ago, long before I ever considered ordering the CC rings. I think it adds another level of transparency - less noticeable on the 600s, more obvious on the 650s. To MY ear, in MY system. And the CC foam bullets can be used (or not) to subtly adjust further for taste, and to act as a dust guard if you’re concerned about that. The downside, of course, is that you really can’t put that foam disc back once you remove it.**

🎶 “Give me a home, where the Senns have no foam…” 🎵

** I actually did just to see, then removed it again. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #45,444 of 46,565
Nov 8, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #45,446 of 46,565
Can anyone compare hd650 and hd660 for sq

thanks

d
The details aren’t really relevant, because EVERYTHING will depend upon your ancillary gear. Headphones don’t make sound on their own. That being said, I had the 660S for a week and returned them because I thought they were a little more ‘uptilted’ than the 650 in particular as I recall (this was almost a year ago), and I simply did not like them as much as my 580, 600 or 650. But that’s ME in MY system*. You might have a totally different system, and totally different taste in music, and totally different preferences or expectations in sound.

*Which is slightly different now than it was then, having moved from a Soloist to an older, lower powered, but IMHO purer sounding HA-160.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #45,447 of 46,565
You obviously didn’t read (or comprehend?) the prior posts, in which he said he wanted one to modify and one to keep stock. Doesn’t sound like consumerism or a waste of money to me. Sounds like a hobby.

Yeah, and this is my one hobby on which I actually spend a material amount of money. I am particularly attached to the HD-600 for personal reasons. So I suppose one can view any hobby as consumerism / waste of money (however if that's one's point of view, then why be on Head-Fi at all), but equally I think everyone understands hobbies are good for the mind. Sure, owning four pairs is not defensible from a pragmatic point of view, but I enjoy having them and have a "use" for all of them: one at home stock, one at home modded, one at the office, one new in box as a time capsule for three decades from now. :)

I will also add that replacement parts are not always in stock, sometimes not available anymore period, and often outrageously expensive. It would cost me 100 EUR to get a replacement marbled headband right now with shipping and import fees from the UK (Audio Sanctuary). That's > 33% of the price of a second marbled unit for one replacement part. I'd rather own two and stop ferrying them to and fro to avoid mishaps.

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #45,448 of 46,565
I'm tempted to complete this mod with the 600, but I feel like all it needs is the inner foam removed and replaced w something lighter. I have a spare i may perform the CC mod w
I did the CC mod on my hd600s. They are an older model so when I touched the foam to see how hard it would be to remove it disintegrated. So once that happened, I took it as a sign to remove the foam :).

I'm pretty pleased with the results. Increase in bass quantity without any noticeable difference anywhere else. Using the most hollow CC foam. One thing I did notice is that the foam is quite a bit longer than needed and pokes up past the copper weight. Anyone else notice this?

Nov 8, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #45,449 of 46,565
Yeah, and this is my one hobby on which I actually spend a material amount of money. I am particularly attached to the HD-600 for personal reasons. So I suppose one can view any hobby as consumerism / waste of money (however if that's one's point of view, then why be on Head-Fi at all), but equally I think everyone understands hobbies are good for the mind. Sure, owning four pairs is not defensible from a pragmatic point of view, but I enjoy having them and have a "use" for all of them: one at home stock, one at home modded, one at the office, one new in box as a time capsule for three decades from now. :)

I will also add that replacement parts are not always in stock, sometimes not available anymore period, and often outrageously expensive. It would cost me 100 EUR to get a replacement marbled headband right now with shipping and import fees from the UK (Audio Sanctuary). That's > 33% of the price of a second marbled unit for one replacement part. I'd rather own two and stop ferrying them to and fro to avoid mishaps.
100% agree. As I said in my original post on this question a couple of days ago, as long as you’re not spending the rent money or the kids’ college fund, go enjoy yourself. Life’s too short to do otherwise. And NO ONE has the right to tell someone else they are having fun wrong. 🤪

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #45,450 of 46,565
I did the CC mod on my hd600s. They are an older model so when I touched the foam to see how hard it would be to remove it disintegrated. So once that happened, I took it as a sign to remove the foam :).

I'm pretty pleased with the results. Increase in bass quantity without any noticeable difference anywhere else. Using the most hollow CC foam. One thing I did notice is that the foam is quite a bit longer than needed and pokes up past the copper weight. Anyone else notice this?
That sounds exactly right to me. The 650 foam came out in one piece, but the 580s and 600s came out in bits. And yes, the little nuggets definitely stick up. On mine they touch the metal grille.

I also use the most open foam on the 600s, and the slightly open foam on the 580s and the 650s, both of which need less help on the bottom.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back