Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #45,406 of 46,565
How do the HD600 compare with the 6XX?

Nov 2, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #45,407 of 46,565
Yeah they sounded really good. Not as impressive on the Dell Latitude that I use (I'm in IT, I use both a Mac and a Windows PC). The Mac definitely sounds better.
Yeah their new upgraded DAC and Amp is a welcomed addition.

Nov 3, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #45,408 of 46,565
My coworker has a 6XX which I got to try today. I was highly impressed. And this was without an amp or dac and straight out of a new Macbook pro. He was using an EQ app with an EQ profile for the 6xx (it wasn't sonar works). With the EQ it was much better.

I might end up picking up a pair.
I been using EQ for a few years now. It’s made an immense difference in sound quality. The HD650 sounds superb when well EQed.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #45,409 of 46,565
Hello! I have owned the 6XX for a while now, but I haven't modded them yet. I am sure some of these questions have been answered, but I would like some of your own answers. The front foam: my concern is if hair or dust could get in and cause an issue. The rear/spider foam: will removing it cause any change in the sound? These are all easy and simple mods that I could think of. I might consider something like the counterweight mod but I am not sure if I am willing to spend roughly $50 yet.

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #45,410 of 46,565
Hello! I have owned the 6XX for a while now, but I haven't modded them yet. I am sure some of these questions have been answered, but I would like some of your own answers. The front foam: my concern is if hair or dust could get in and cause an issue. The rear/spider foam: will removing it cause any change in the sound? These are all easy and simple mods that I could think of. I might consider something like the counterweight mod but I am not sure if I am willing to spend roughly $50 yet.
• You can replace the ‘front foam’ with fine mesh netting.
• Removing the ‘rear/spider foam’ makes the sound more open.
• Just spend the ~ $50 on the Custom Cans UK counterweight modification. There are plenty of testimonials on the benefits from the modification.
• Here is what my HD6XX earcups look like. Note the earside fine mesh:
595F5B98-4F2C-4435-8145-C3CBCD0795BE.jpeg

Nov 3, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #45,411 of 46,565
• You can replace the ‘front foam’ with fine mesh netting.
• Removing the ‘rear/spider foam’ makes the sound more open.
• Just spend the ~ $50 on the Custom Cans UK counterweight modification. There are plenty of testimonials on the benefits from the modification.
• Here is what my HD6XX earcups look like. Note the earside fine mesh:
Ah, good idea. Will any mesh netting do? Anyways, thanks for the ideas. I'll mod what I can right now and I'll keep them if I like the changes.

Nov 3, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #45,413 of 46,565
I've had both and I ended up selling the 600 and keeping the 650. The 600 may be more neutral (some would say 'accurate'), but the 650 sounds more pleasant to my ears.
I was about to tackle the same question. I currently own the 600 and the 650* for many years (and a 580 since ~1996) and, despite multiple flirtations with many ‘fancier,’, more exotic and more expensive cans, these 3 remain my primary and favorite cans. I completely agree that in stock form, the 600** is the more neutral/accurate presentation, and the 650 the warmer and more musical. That doesn’t mean the 650 isn’t accurate, but it was purposely tilted down compared to the 600 to aim it more at what Sennheiser believed was desired by the home audio market, as opposed to the professional studio market. I like both and have them each set up full time in different rooms (the 580 is somewhere between the two in balance, if, perhaps, ever do slightly less refined. Some days, however, I still think it’s the best of the bunch. HOWEVER, there are many mods available, and most are easy. In particular, the CC ring mod adds just the right amount of bass traction and control to the 600, to make it preferable to a stock 650. In fairness, I’ve personally ordered CC copper ring kits for both my 580 and 650, to reap the benefits of this dimple mod gor them as well - so the tides may turn again. All of my Sennheisers west Dekoni elite hybrid pads because I prefer them to stock. There are many around here, however, who swear by stock. What flavor is your favorite? My 580s also sport metal grilles from the 600, because I felt it tightened things up and eliminated the barely audible nasal (plasticky?) resonance of the original grey plastic grilles, and I removed the rear foam long before I considered adding the ring because it opens up the sound of all of them. My brother considers removal of the rear foam mandatory on his 650‘s (and, indeed, Sennheiser replaced it with a metal screen in the 660’s) but be warned, that is the only tweak that is NOT easily reversed - once you remove that rear foam it’s gone. As for the front foam, I experimented with it and ultimately decided I preferred it in, albeit a softer, thinner foam than the original stock, purchased on eBay inexpensively when my original foam discs were no longer reusable.

The key to all of the 300 ohm Senns is amplification. If you do not use an amplifier with a stiff power supply, whether it be tube or SS, you will not get the most out of these headphones (and you may buy into the incorrect aspersion that they are veiled. They are not, but they may found that way if they’re difficult load is beating up your amps power supply. You don’t need the latest snd the greatest, and you don’t need a lot of power. You just need something that won’t be thrown by a dynamic 300 ohm load. Many will tell you that tubes (esoevisllly OTL) is the only way to go. I, personally, think the now ancient OG Burson HA-160 (solid state, class A), is s perfect match (and there are others here who use the same amp - there is a definite synergy there).

Ultimately, you couldn’t go wrong with either. There’s a reason why these cans have been front runners for 25 years - they are damn good! But they do offer slightly different flavors and which you prefer is a matter of taste. After that, they are easy to pull apart and tweak further to taste.

I am not the first experienced user to decide that the 580/600/650 (and a good amp with quality sources) is really all you need to be happy. I’ve been in the hobby for ~50 years, although primarily 2-channel. I’ve only been focused on headphones for a fraction of that time, but I bought my 580’s in 1996 because they were essentially TOTL at that time, and I never had reason to question it - they always made enjoyable music, and they still do. Sure, there are others that do this thst or the other thing better, but there are few that are this well-bslnced, and balance is what makes them do satisfying long term. Personally, I think their success (and their resultant near ubiquity) is their greatest flaw - it’s hard to feel like you own something special when everyone and his brother/son/wife/daughter/etc. has one. I’m wrestling with that very ‘pride of ownership’ issue myself lately, trying desperately to wrestle a gorgeous pair of wood Grado RS-1e’s into submission, so far without complete success, despite my visceral and very real attraction to the leather and wood finish. But the truth is, when it’s time to sit down and listen, I know I can put any one of these three Sennheiser siblings on my head snd I’m not going to be disappointed.

Edit:I’m pretty sure I never answered the original question, but the answer is precisely what @Odin412 said, WAY more succinctly. It’s up to you to pick your favourite flavour - chocolate or vanilla, coffee heath bar crunch or New York super chunk fudge. There’s not a bad one in the bunch….

YMMV, just my $,03, etc., ad nauseum.

* I have never heard the 6xx (although my son does own and love a pair of 58X), but I am happy to accept arguendo the common wisdom that the Romanian-made 6xx is sonically identical to my Irish-made 650.

** Similarly, my 600’s are old ‘marbles’ made in Ireland, I have no experience with the current all grey model from the Romania factory, but accept arguendo that they are sonically indistinguishable.

75B5BE91-4C35-4C01-BFBF-5722860DED15.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #45,414 of 46,565
I was about to tackle the same question. I currently own the 600 and the 650* for many years (and a 580 since ~1996) and, despite multiple flirtations with many ‘fancier,’, more exotic and more expensive cans, these 3 remain my primary and favorite cans. I completely agree that in stock form, the 600** is the more neutral/accurate presentation, and the 650 the warmer and more musical. That doesn’t mean the 650 isn’t accurate, but it was purposely tilted down compared to the 600 to aim it more at what Sennheiser believed was desired by the home audio market, as opposed to the professional studio market. I like both and have them each set up full time in different rooms (the 580 is somewhere between the two in balance, if, perhaps, ever do slightly less refined. Some days, however, I still think it’s the best of the bunch. HOWEVER, there are many mods available, and most are easy. In particular, the CC ring mod adds just the right amount of bass traction and control to the 600, to make it preferable to a stock 650. In fairness, I’ve personally ordered CC copper ring kits for both my 580 and 650, to reap the benefits of this dimple mod gor them as well - so the tides may turn again. All of my Sennheisers west Dekoni elite hybrid pads because I prefer them to stock. There are many around here, however, who swear by stock. What flavor is your favorite? My 580s also sport metal grilles from the 600, because I felt it tightened things up and eliminated the barely audible nasal (plasticky?) resonance of the original grey plastic grilles, and I removed the rear foam long before I considered adding the ring because it opens up the sound of all of them. My brother considers removal of the rear foam mandatory on his 650‘s (and, indeed, Sennheiser replaced it with a metal screen in the 660’s) but be warned, that is the only tweak that is NOT easily reversed - once you remove that rear foam it’s gone. As for the front foam, I experimented with it and ultimately decided I preferred it in, albeit a softer, thinner foam than the original stock, purchased on eBay inexpensively when my original foam discs were no longer reusable.

The key to all of the 300 ohm Senns is amplification. If you do not use an amplifier with a stiff power supply, whether it be tube or SS, you will not get the most out of these headphones (and you may buy into the incorrect aspersion that they are veiled. They are not, but they may found that way if they’re difficult load is beating up your amps power supply. You don’t need the latest snd the greatest, and you don’t need a lot of power. You just need something that won’t be thrown by a dynamic 300 ohm load. Many will tell you that tubes (esoevisllly OTL) is the only way to go. I, personally, think the now ancient OG Burson HA-160 (solid state, class A), is s perfect match (and there are others here who use the same amp - there is a definite synergy there).

Ultimately, you couldn’t go wrong with either. There’s a reason why these cans have been front runners for 25 years - they are damn good! But they do offer slightly different flavors and which you prefer is a matter of taste. After that, they are easy to pull apart and tweak further to taste.

Im not the first experienced user to decide that the 580/600/650 (and a good amp with quality sources) is really all you need to be happy. I’ve been in the hobby for ~50 years, although primarily 2-channel. I’ve only been focused on headphones for a fraction of that time, but I bought my 580’s in 1996 because they were essentially TOTL at that time, and I never had reason to question it - they always made enjoyable music, and they still do. Sure, there are others that do this thst or the other thing better, but there are few that are this well-bslnced, and balance is what makes them do satisfying long term. Personally, I think their success (and their resultant near ubiquity) is their greatest flaw - it’s hard to feel like you own something special when everyone and his brother/son/wife/daughter/etc. has one. I’m wrestling with that very ‘pride of ownership’ issue myself lately, trying desperately to wrestle a gorgeous pair of wood Grado RS-1e’s into submission, so far without complete success, despite my visceral and very real attraction to the leather and wood finish. But the truth is, when it’s time to sit down and listen, I know I can put any one of these three Sennheiser siblings on my head snd I’m not going to be disappointed.

Edit:I’m pretty sure I never answered the original question, but the answer is precisely what @Odin412 said, WAY more succinctly. It’s up to you to pick your favourite flavour - chocolate or vanilla, coffee heath bar crunch or New York super chunk fudge. There’s not a bad one in the bunch….

YMMV, just my $,03, etc., ad nauseum.

* I have never heard the 6xx (although my son does own and love a pair of 58X), but I am happy to accept arguendo the common wisdom that the Romanian-made 6xx is sonically identical to my Irish-made 650.

** Similarly, my 600’s are old ‘marbles’ made in Ireland, I have no experience with the current all grey model from the Romania factory, but accept arguendo that they are sonically indistinguishable.

75B5BE91-4C35-4C01-BFBF-5722860DED15.jpeg
I'm among those who started with the vaunted Icon HDP and HD650 pairing (something horrible). The veil came about because people like me bought an overrated amplifier. The veil is a normal condition that suggests that it is badly amplified. Electronically with the PRE-GAIN from Violectric and Lake People, I can create poor amplification conditions even on Avantone Planar, Sony and Austrian Audio. When everything is set up right the HD650s are perfectly sharp and open like my other headphones.👋

Nov 3, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #45,415 of 46,565
To my ears, the HD650 with the Custom Cans mod is my end game. I've been adding about +1.5 db of bass shelf since I got it a month ago but recently went naked with no EQ. Still blown away by how it sounded to my ears. They've been in my stable for almost a decade and while I've had other love affairs (e.g. with planars etc.), I've kinda held on to them for nostalgia. Who would have thought that all it took was a small mod to turn them into what I've been looking for all this time.

I have not touched my Hifimans since I've done the CC mod. With each passing day, I am getting closer to selling one of them...crazy!
Yes indeed. Small mod, big difference. A almost a different headphone.

Nov 4, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #45,417 of 46,565
Ah, good idea. Will any mesh netting do? Anyways, thanks for the ideas. I'll mod what I can right now and I'll keep them if I like the changes.
If your after an idea/suggestion as to what kind of mesh to look for, I find silk organza is a good material to use. You can get it in varying densities depending on how fine you want the mesh and silk is almost transparent acoustically. Mines just from the local fabric shop my wife frequents but you can get it at all sorts of craft shops etc.

SKowQVZ.jpg
Fk0jeqn.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #45,418 of 46,565
Trying to get your inputs here - is it weird to own 2 HD650s???

I've own a 600 (Ireland) and just purchased the 650. I really like how it sounds. But I also have a Custom Cans mass loading mod incoming and now I'm hesitant to mod the 650. 600 won't be modded as I want it pure stock.

So now I'm planning to get another 650 (2nd) just to do all the mods. (650s on sale now and can get it from my local shop at around 238ish US.) Weird? Waste of money? Or just stick with the current 650 that I have and mod it?

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #45,419 of 46,565
I am in the same siuation as you. I have both the 600 and 650, but are considering buying another 600 just for modding. I think it makes sense because modding with weigts, pads, cables etc. will make the headphones different from stock, not necessary better. It might be better with some music but not all. Imo the 600 will be the preferable one to mod because it's the most neutral of the two.

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #45,420 of 46,565
Trying to get your inputs here - is it weird to own 2 HD650s???

I've own a 600 (Ireland) and just purchased the 650. I really like how it sounds. But I also have a Custom Cans mass loading mod incoming and now I'm hesitant to mod the 650. 600 won't be modded as I want it pure stock.

So now I'm planning to get another 650 (2nd) just to do all the mods. (650s on sale now and can get it from my local shop at around 238ish US.) Weird? Waste of money? Or just stick with the current 650 that I have and mod it?

Ahem, not weird at all. Here is my HD-600 "situation". :)

Unit 1 - I started with a new marbled version years ago. Still the headphone I am most attached to. The HD-660s grills make it look even more special.

Unit 2 - Then when selling a different headphone, someone proposed me a trade for an almost brand new marbled HD-600. It was exactly at the time Sennheiser announced the new version, so I thought... why not get a backup.

Unit 3 - Then a while later I wanted to see what the new aesthetics are like, so I grabbed a new HD-600 for the office. T

Unit 4 - Then I grabbed another new unit during a nice sale, at the time of the purchase by Sonova when I thought they might get discontinued. This is still boxed, unopened.

Unit 5 - Recently I wanted to try the black silk model. Ahem.

Now I just ordered the Custom Cans mod. I will take some time at Christmas to ponder which one shall get the mod. Surely not Unit 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back