Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #44,763 of 46,527
Not for me to say, but this is one of my pet peeves. IMHO, if you were running your 650s off a dragonfly, you have no idea what they actually sound like - no wonder you have the upgrade bug! The dragonfly is a nice little thumbdrive dac/amp, but it can’t possibly do justice to a 300 ohm headphone. Maybe try upgrading to a more robust dedicated amp before you part with your 650s? You could even still use the dragonfly as your dac.

Just my $.02. If I’m out of line then the moderators should delete my post. I could go on, but I’ll shut up now. I really do wish you luck in your quest, I just don’t want you to miss out on the potentially truly beautiful sound of the 650 because you unwittingly matched it with an underpowered amp.

Ok, sorry, shutting up now.
I'm going to go a step further: the Dragonfly line-up is overrated crap, and there's better dongles for less money, and ones that can go pretty hard in terms of peak voltage thanks to USB-C.

They generally won't nail a refined performance like good desktop gear, but certainly fantastic for portable gear, especially something that can sit in your pocket. The only concern at that point becomes battery drain from your phone and thermals.

Yes, which usually means tubes (especially OTL) or a SS amp with a very stiff power supply (I prefer class A).
Schiit Asgard 3 is a fantastic entry point for this, and a big step up from the previous line-up (as is the Magni 3+ in its own right).

650/6XX sounds fantastic out of it, if not as smooth as it would be out of tubes.

Not sure I sent even 1V into mine.
It's more about the quality of the circuit design than cranking the pot. For all the basic measurements tell us about how things perform with test tones, amps that handle the voltage and current swings more easily tend to refine the technical performance of a headphone.

DACs definitely do have a bigger say on tonality, but the right kind of power delivery can make a big difference... I don't believe that's entirely encompassed by a listed peak measurement or distortion characteristics though.

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #44,764 of 46,527
Schiit Asgard 3 is a fantastic entry point for this, and a big step up from the previous line-up (as is the Magni 3+ in its own right).

650/6XX sounds fantastic out of it, if not as smooth as it would be out of tubes.
It is, and it does. For another step up I’d recommend having a look at their Lyr3 tube hybrid amp. There definitely is no shortage of power there, and together with a Bifrost2 dac and (of course) the HD6XX, the sound is fantastic to my ears.

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #44,765 of 46,527
I'm going to go a step further: the Dragonfly line-up is overrated crap, and there's better dongles for less money, and ones that can go pretty hard in terms of peak voltage thanks to USB-C.

They generally won't nail a refined performance like good desktop gear, but certainly fantastic for portable gear, especially something that can sit in your pocket. The only concern at that point becomes battery drain from your phone and thermals.

It's more about the quality of the circuit design than cranking the pot. For all the basic measurements tell us about how things perform with test tones, amps that handle the voltage and current swings more easily tend to refine the technical performance of a headphone.

DACs definitely do have a bigger say on tonality, but the right kind of power delivery can make a big difference... I don't believe that's entirely encompassed by a listed peak measurement or distortion characteristics though.
Apple dongle with audible transparency ftw.. lol

Feb 27, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #44,766 of 46,527
Well, my HD650s with extra goodies is up in classifieds.

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #44,769 of 46,527
Still trying to pair HD650 with a nice affordable amp. Budget below $500.
Was looking at ZEN DAC v2 for its price..
Schiit Jotunheim2 seems like something to consider.....

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #44,770 of 46,527
Still trying to pair HD650 with a nice affordable amp. Budget below $500.
Was looking at ZEN DAC v2 for its price..
For me, taking my time and shopping carefully used works well. Woo WA6+ ($550), Rupert Neve RNHP ($300), and recently Quicksilver ($850). All were mint. Sonically I like Schiit as well, but it’s priced so well new that used frequently isn’t a great deal.

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #44,771 of 46,527
For solder slingers, I’ll, of course, add Bottlehead. I’ve had several in my system at meets here in the Pacific Northwest. Terrific with HD6 series, both OTL and transformer coupled.

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #44,773 of 46,527
Mar 4, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #44,774 of 46,527
New owner of HD 6XX.

I have also tried the 600 and 660S previously, I will try to make a comparison with the 6XX later based on what I remember.

I only listened to 6XX for an hour, but the thing that surprised me immediately is that they don't feel dark, swollen and boring at all, from the reviews / opinions I read I had this idea.

From a neutral source the sound is very clean and detailed, with some brightness.

They probably also need burn-in.

I also got the 2.5mm Drop balanced cable.

Can I use an adapter with it to use it on a 4.4mm balanced output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back