Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #44,747 of 46,527
I'm not. if only because there's a tight relation between FR and an impulse response(or any transient event). So even if the only relevant change(anything audible) was the FR change, I couldn't claim that the transient stuff are the exact same. And at least objectively(audibility is another story), FR change isn't the only thing going on when you change the volume of the internal cavity and very likely a good deal of acoustic damping with a different amount of seal.
But how do you measure that? How do you confirm that it's audible and feels like what you're feeling? This seems like an even more complicated issue given how the FR will also change significantly, so we'll never be completely sure that change is really how freely the driver moves and how "fast".

On the other hand, there is ample evidence that different pads can have very audible FR impacts. It's relatively easy to measure and I do it(badly and for the lolz) every time I get new pads. There is also ample evidence that you can change various impressions of various instruments with an EQ(there's even a job about that). The settings used in a mix for snares may be more aggressive than what 2 different pads would do(luckily because we wouldn't want that kind of EQ on the all song), but audibility and subjective impact are hard to reject. At best we might argue that there can be other variables involved, but not that FR change has nothing to so with our subjective impression of ... almost everything.

I understand how intuitively we feel "speed" so we think it's time domain stuff, but I do not know for a fact that it is in this case. Doesn't it just make more sense to treat this as a FR change when all the evidence of FR change and its audibility is in our face?
I'm perfectly fine considering various causes changing the airflow and how freely the driver can move, but without supporting evidence of significant(audible!) impact in that area from swapping 2 pads, I would leave it as an open hypothesis, and stick with the evil I know: FR.
Yes there certainly is an FR change with different thickness of earpads, but there also is a difference to the intensity of the attack and decay of notes. It’s indeed a question of “how do you measure that” but I never liked the sound of thicker pads, even before I would knew about the possibilty of resonance giving thicker pads a rougher sound relative to thinner pads, I always liked thinner pads when pad swapping.

Btw, I’m not saying the driver actually got faster, but our percepton of it due to driver being closer to the ear, which gives the impression of smoother attack and decay of notes, particularly in the upper mids-treble.

Also logically, it makes sense. When you put a longer enclosure infront of any sound making device, the longer the enclosure is the more resonance, resulting in a rougher sound. It’s just surprising to me that our ears can detect it from such a short range.

What matters most is musical enjoyement, and I sure am not engaged with the hard rough texture (soundwise, not material) of thicker pads relative to thinner pads on the same headphone. Then again, maybe your music genres don’t have a lot of things going on at the same time, don’t have those sounds in that make the difference or another reason, for you to detect a difference, which is fine.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 11:53 PM Post #44,748 of 46,527
Honestly, these have been my saving grace, even when I can't run them through a proper amp they're such a good point of mixing reference. Since I'm sensitive to sound, I don't need to drive them super hard.

Love getting some proper clean sound compared to my old ath-m50s (though now I'm regretting gifting those to a friend... not that I don't want them to have good headphones, but I want to start a proper collection now!)

Feb 23, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #44,749 of 46,527
You can test out different thicknesses (or rather, thinness) by just pushing the headphones closer to your head while wearing it. The sound changes a lot, and you can compare the sound between closer driver vs fresh new pads immediately. If the difference can't be heard then it is a good idea to get generic pads when they're worn out and require new pads.

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #44,750 of 46,527
just broke out my hd650's paired with Dragonfly Red and Apple Camera Dongle to my Iphone12 max pro. Gotta say Apple's hi-rez lossless has breathed new life into some great back catalog's this simple rig set up sounds amazing again. :gs1000smile:
Do you find the Dragonfly Red to be a bit bright? I use it with my HD 6XX's and my two other headphones and find it detailed but a tad too bright.

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #44,752 of 46,527
I haven't gotten around to listing it, but I am selling mint condition HD650 headphones, with all original accessories and single ended LQI 1.5 meter cable. The headphones also come with a new set of ear pads/foam and a 4.4mm balanced Earsonics cable. $380

Feb 26, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #44,754 of 46,527
Well I got bit by the upgrade bug and decided to sell my HD650 and Dragon Fly Red combo. It is in the classified section its a good deal for anyone wanting these cans plus a great dac and apple dongle. 👍
Not for me to say, but this is one of my pet peeves. IMHO, if you were running your 650s off a dragonfly, you have no idea what they actually sound like - no wonder you have the upgrade bug! The dragonfly is a nice little thumbdrive dac/amp, but it can’t possibly do justice to a 300 ohm headphone. Maybe try upgrading to a more robust dedicated amp before you part with your 650s? You could even still use the dragonfly as your dac.

Just my $.02. If I’m out of line then the moderators should delete my post. I could go on, but I’ll shut up now. I really do wish you luck in your quest, I just don’t want you to miss out on the potentially truly beautiful sound of the 650 because you unwittingly matched it with an underpowered amp.

Ok, sorry, shutting up now.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #44,755 of 46,527
Not for me to say, but this is one of my pet peeves. IMHO, if you were running your 650s off a dragonfly, you have no idea what they actually sound like - no wonder you have the upgrade bug! The dragonfly is a nice little thumbdrive dac/amp, but it can’t possibly do justice to a 300 ohm headphone. Maybe try upgrading to a more robust dedicated amp before you part with your 650s? You could even still use the dragonfly as your dac.

Just my $.02. If I’m out of line then the moderators should delete my post. I could go on, but I’ll shut up now. I really do wish you luck in your quest, I just don’t want you to miss out on the potentially truly beautiful sound of the 650 because you unwittingly matched it with an underpowered amp.

Nothing wrong with posting your opinion. I agree with you though because the HD650's reallly need the power put to them to sound their best. My opinion of course.

Feb 26, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #44,756 of 46,527

Agree, the HD 650 really shines with a good amp. I really enjoy the HD 650 - Schiit Valhalla combo.

Feb 26, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #44,757 of 46,527
Most of us who sold a HD6 series Senn end up re-buying it. :disappointed_relieved:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back