Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #44,297 of 46,499
I don’t know. There must be some reason why the 650s have been around as a top contender for 20 years (which is, in itself, an important point - they aren’t just 20 years old, they’ve been a top recommendation for thousands of happy music lovers during all of that time). I’m sending back a pair of Anandas I’ve had for about a week because, compared to the 650s the Anandas are overly polite, have no bass and are downright boring. And my 650s have like new dekoni hybrid pads on them, virtually identical to the Ananda stock pads, so don’t start making baseless assumptions about worn pads contributing some imagined comfort factor. The 650s are simply more engaging cans, at a little more than half the new, reduced price of the Anandas. I had the same experience with a pair of Focal Elears several months ago. It depends why your in it - if it’s a competition of some kind, or oi you're trying to create the ultimate home headphone experience, the 650s are probably too pedestrian. But as I get older (I’m 61), I realize all of that is total bull. I just want to put on my headphones and have fun. Period. I’d like to get something new, but if I’m going to shell out $700+ for a pair of headphones, then right out of the box they should make me happier than my trusty 650s do. I should not have to work at it. I work at being a lawyer. This is for fun. So far, I haven’t found the right pair, but I’ll keep looking, because that’s also fun. Maybe I’ll try some older HiFiMans - I hear they may have the soul that the Anandas so manifestly lack.
May I suggest the Drop Hifiman HE5xx. I find that it complements my Drop HD6xx.

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #44,298 of 46,499
May I suggest the Drop Hifiman HE5xx. I find that it complements my Drop HD6xx.
Not interested in Drop. I recently sold he560s and currently own Anandas. I also just sold a pair of lcd-x and a pair of focal Elears. Thanks for your learned input, but ~$200 cheapened, drop-tuned headphones are not the answer. I know you meant well, but your suggestions mistakenly assume that I’ve only tried one headphone in the last 50 years. So, no, you may not.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #44,300 of 46,499
Gotta love head-fi. Full of grouchy old f*cks.
Lol! Absolutely - And kids who don’t know crap giving them advice!

G-d save me from my well-meaning friends.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #44,301 of 46,499
Not interested in Drop. I recently sold he570s and currently own Anandas. I also just sold a pair of lcd-x and s pair of focal Elears. Thanks for your learned input, but ~$200 cheapened, drop-tuned headphones are not the answer. I know you meant well, but your suggestions mistakenly assume that I’ve only tried one headphone in the last 50 years. So, no, you may not.
Lighten up Francis.

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #44,302 of 46,499
Lol! Absolutely - And kids who don’t know *** giving them advice!

G-d save me from my well-meaning friends.
😂 I appreciate you taking that in good humour.

Also, you're rocking a HD650. Great classic headphone, but essentially it's now a budget headphone. So personally I welcome suggestions whatever the price (don't be a snob). For anyone that doesn't... Don't post on a forum, you're likely to get replies!!!

UMN - you keep suggesting dude. Your opinion is as valid as anyone elses.

Jul 6, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #44,303 of 46,499
The 650 is the only sub 2k headphone that i put just at the bottom of endgame/totl headphones in one category with Utopia and Susvara.
The HD650s are heavenly on my Lotoo Paw Gold 2017! I found PMEQ settings that are perfect! I also love my Shure SRH1540 headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #44,305 of 46,499
Are the drop 6xx pads identical to the Official 650 pads?

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #44,307 of 46,499
😂 I appreciate you taking that in good humour.

Also, you're rocking a HD650. Great classic headphone, but essentially it's now a budget headphone. So personally I welcome suggestions whatever the price (don't be a snob). For anyone that doesn't... Don't post on a forum, you're likely to get replies!!!

UMN - you keep suggesting dude. Your opinion is as valid as anyone else
If you mean the HD650 is now a “good” headphone only compared to higher priced ones then I cannot agree with your statement. I’ve owned headphones such as the Focal Utopia, Senn HD800, HD800 S, Audeze LCD 2 rev 2 pre Fazor, etc. & the HD650, when properly amped is heads & shoulders above them for overall sound quality. At one time the HD650 was the flag ship for Sennheiser and there are many audiophiles who prefer it as well as the HD600 to the HD800 and other high priced headphones.

I’m not into measurements [not saying you are] and no longer part of the FOTM club. Both the HD600 & HD650 are proven high quality sounding headphones regardless or price. Another thing that really helps to get the best out of headphones is using EQ [oh, horror of horrors I can hear coming from the purists]. EQ, when properly done will improve and balance out your headphone, again, regardless of price because there’s no such thing as a ”perfect sounding/ balanced headphone”.

Just my two cents, base on my personal experience and lots of money spent over the years I spend in the rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #44,308 of 46,499
If you mean the HD650 is now a “good” headphone only compared to higher priced ones then I cannot agree with your statement. I’ve owned headphones such as the Focal Utopia, Senn HD800, HD800 S, Audeze LCD 2 rev 2 pre Fazor, etc. & the HD650, when properly amped is heads & shoulders above them for overall sound quality. At one time the HD650 was the flag ship for Sennheiser and there are many audiophiles who prefer it as well as the HD600 to the HD800 and other high priced headphones.

I’m not into measurements [not saying you are] and no longer part of the FOTM club. Both the HD600 & HD650 are proven high quality sounding headphones regardless or price. Another thing that really helps to get the best out of headphones is using EQ [oh, horror of horrors I can hear coming from the purists]. EQ, when properly done will improve and balance out your headphone, again, regardless of price because there’s no such thing as a ”perfect sounding/ balanced headphone”.

Just my two cents, base on my personal experience and lots of money spent over the years I spend in the rabbit hole.

Didn't use the word "good", I used "great". It's a budget headphone by price. Compared to Focal etc. this is a headphone that costs just over $200!!! It's insane how good a headphone it is for that money. What really sets it apart is how well it scales with equipment. On lower level equipment those expensive cans do sound better, but once you get to better levels of equipment the HD650 (and HD600) will often equal or surpass many of those. Best of all, it's a joy to use with tubes. It's taken a ZMF Auteur to dethrone my HD600. But I've just ordered a HD6XX in the hopes that (combined with some recent and upcoming kit) it will dethrone my ZMF Aeolus (and put some money back in my pocket, I do love my Aeolus though).

I'm not a huge fan of using EQ as I'm not great with it, too many options and I'm not decisive enough. As a result I tend to try Oratory presets etc. But I agree EQ'ing a headphone can lead to some superb results. The Hifiman Ananda for instance, too bright for me, with Oratory EQ I loved it.

If there was one perfect headphone, there would be no headphone market. Fortunately a mass of genres and our own personal preferences for sound keep our wallets well and truly busy in this rabbit hole.

Just as an example of price doesn't always equal satisfaction. I recently bought a Philips SHP9500. It sits proudly next to my Auteur. I think the SHP is a joy to use, especially when I need to take the ZMF weight off my neck!

Jul 7, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #44,309 of 46,499
My pair of HD650 headphones were purchased in 2014 and mostly went unused until earlier this year when I purchased an Atom Amp from JDS Labs. That amp really improved the sound of the headphones. They sound incredible now. Previous amps I tried never made the 650 sing. These other amps included the Asgard 3, Magni 3, and Matrix M-stage HPA.

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #44,310 of 46,499
The pads that come with the 6xx are identical. The pads that drop sell separately are not.
even the drop "velour pads"? so that means it would change sound signature away from Sennheisers tuning once you replace them with the drop pads?
so the best course of action is to buy original sennheiser pads to keep the tuning correct to what Sennheiser intended rather than using drop pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back