Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #44,311 of 46,533
even the drop "velour pads"? so that means it would change sound signature away from Sennheisers tuning once you replace them with the drop pads?
so the best course of action is to buy original sennheiser pads to keep the tuning correct to what Sennheiser intended rather than using drop pads.
I have used the most pads for hd6 series from Drop , Yaxi , Dekoni , Brainwavz , i even make a custom pads with slow memmory foam and stock sennheiser rings. All of then Change the sound for me thats a fact.
The original Sennheiser pads are build eay different than any other pad that i have tried .... Original Sennheiser pads are hybrids with velur outside and artificial leather inside around the plastic ring , they use a specific type of foam that is NOT memmory foam or gel its a kind o fast foam that reacts fast to any press so it goes back to the form fast , also its a kind of foam that is high air penetrated more than most foams that i have used , all that make the original pads unique and hard to replicate .
Pads that are used on 6xx are the classic black ring pads , the New ones that Sennheiser use on New 600 650 660s are using stiffer foam and the ring inside is a see through plastic .
Also the Velur that is used on Original pads is also way different than any other velur pads that i tried , its way better quality for many reassons ( in my opinion) and original pads doesnt have Stitches around the vellur that is touching our face ( most pads have stitches that touch the face) FB_IMG_16257468686116746.jpg .
I have make posts on 660s topic about those pads , i even tried custom Hybrid leather velur angle pad like Sundara pads and again didnt worked like originals.
Some people prefer the changes on sound from aftermarket pads and thats personal taste , other than that no the sound is not the same ... Unless if anyone can find an aftermarket pad that is build like the originals.

If anyone cares i tried to use the original foam used by Sennheiser the one that air pass more easy with different velur materials and also didnt worked , this is the foam

Attachments

• FB_IMG_16257478576009490.jpg
    FB_IMG_16257478576009490.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #44,312 of 46,533
Are the drop 6xx pads identical to the Official 650 pads?
My 6xx 2 years old pair has different design ,plastics and pads compare to my 650 660s Facelift but the shame to my old hd600 ireland . FL had a blacker colour velur and a bit different shape on pads side by side they was also a but stiffer. I order some new pads also to test waiting for the New 2021 pads to arrive but i get the shame like Romanian version with the black ring not the see through... I speak with Sennehiser via mails and told me that those new pads for 600 650 660s use the shame code so is a lottery what i get .
About 6xx i dont know what drop is selling now , but i guess it must be all the stock old parts .
If u clearly see the pads on 6xx vs 660s u can see they use different velur material

Oh also my HD58x use exactlyFB_IMG_16257483526362316.jpg the shame pads like HD6xx

Attachments

• FB_IMG_16257478814949175.jpg
    FB_IMG_16257478814949175.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #44,313 of 46,533
My 6xx 2 years old pair has different design ,plastics and pads compare to my 650 660s Facelift but the shame to my old hd600 ireland . FL had a blacker colour velur and a bit different shape on pads side by side they was also a but stiffer. I order some new pads also to test waiting for the New 2021 pads to arrive but i get the shame like Romanian version with the black ring not the see through... I speak with Sennehiser via mails and told me that those new pads for 600 650 660s use the shame code so is a lottery what i get .
About 6xx i dont know what drop is selling now , but i guess it must be all the stock old parts .
If u clearly see the pads on 6xx vs 660s u can see they use different velur material

Oh also my HD58x use exactly the shame pads like HD6xx
okay so just a bit of clarification: do the original Sennheiser pads for the 600/650/660s fit the 6xx? or are the mounting systems completely different with the drop version?

that's pretty interesting thanks for the insights! I wonder if the 6xx on drop now is also updated with the 2021 pad revisions. really keen on buying that instead of the 660s just to cover more ground.

I currently have the Sundaras and I'm wondering which of the 6__ line will compliment the Sundara best with the famous sennheiser timbre in the mids. Preference towards neutral and clean but I wonder if the 6xx is too warm for me (then i should just go straight to the 660s in that case) but if 6xx still detailed enough, it might be a fun alternative for the Sundara. Cheapest option too, and if the og pads fit, it might be the best option. haha

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #44,314 of 46,533
okay so just a bit of clarification: do the original Sennheiser pads for the 600/650/660s fit the 6xx? or are the mounting systems completely different with the drop version?

that's pretty interesting thanks for the insights! I wonder if the 6xx on drop now is also updated with the 2021 pad revisions. really keen on buying that instead of the 660s just to cover more ground.

I currently have the Sundaras and I'm wondering which of the 6__ line will compliment the Sundara best with the famous sennheiser timbre in the mids. Preference towards neutral and clean but I wonder if the 6xx is too warm for me (then i should just go straight to the 660s in that case) but if 6xx still detailed enough, it might be a fun alternative for the Sundara. Cheapest option too, and if the og pads fit, it might be the best option. haha
The 6XX/650 starts out warm with a little extra presence and air/treble, then as the pads soften they mellow out the presence and treble and the bass becomes a lot more neutral.

Here's a good demonstration of that: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/sennheiser-hd650/

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #44,315 of 46,533
All the HD 6 series pads HD 600 , 650 , 660s DO FIT on HD 6XX and HD 58X what ever the code the year or the materials that Sennheiser use .
This is something that i dont know If they have on HD6XX the new 2019 FL pads or the new 2021 pads ( some people and maybe Sennheiser is saying that Facelift pads and old pads are not different , So this is MY opinion and only by what i have in front of me ) .
There is also a question about HD 6XX if they use the Facelift design on plastics with the 3 DOTS for blind people inside the Left driver or its the Old one with the Dots outside ... This is something that can say to us people with HD 6XX 2021 version.

I dont know if that helps i will tell u what i think i have Sundara also the 2020 Version with new Pads ( palit i think ? ) anyways , This is my opinion and only... to me the timbre and mids are better on HD 6 line ( all of them ) , that is something that i can hear for sure , other than that its about taste i like the Warm character the smoothed highs and smaller soundstage (that feels singer is in front of u singing just for you) of the HD 650 - HD 660s . To me HD 660s compared to 650 is faster , tighter on bass , the imaging is better than everything on 5 and 6 line ( its close to Sundara for me some times better ) and also 660s sound more dynamic and clear BUT HD 650 are way smoother more forgiving on bad recordings ( some people say that found HD 660s darker , i dont know why but all my friends and me find them more energetic and clear) .
So in my opinion if u already Have Sundara then get HD 650 because having those 2 headphones u get something amazing from both worlds , Sundara are more neutral clinical clear and HD 650 are smoother more organic and warmer so it would be amazing compliment for each other .
If u had to choose just one Headphone is a different story, in that case HD 660s because its has all the good characteristics from both of them without sacrificing to much ,its like trying to satisfy everyone but not being perfect on something , the Swiss Knife of Headphones . 20200929_180609.jpg20201003_213323.jpg

Jul 8, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #44,316 of 46,533
All the HD 6 series pads HD 600 , 650 , 660s DO FIT on HD 6XX and HD 58X what ever the code the year or the materials that Sennheiser use .

This is something that i dont know If they have on HD6XX the new 2019 FL pads or the new 2021 pads ( some people and maybe Sennheiser is saying that Facelift pads and old pads are not different , So this is MY opinion and only by what i have in front of me ) .
There is also a question about HD 6XX if they use the Facelift design on plastics with the 3 DOTS for blind people inside the Left driver or its the Old one with the Dots outside ... This is something that can say to us people with HD 6XX 2021 version.

I dont know if that helps i will tell u what i think i have Sundara also the 2020 Version with new Pads ( palit i think ? ) anyways , This is my opinion and only... to me the timbre and mids are better on HD 6 line ( all of them ) , that is something that i can hear for sure , other than that its about taste i like the Warm character the smoothed highs and smaller soundstage (that feels singer is in front of u singing just for you) of the HD 650 - HD 660s . To me HD 660s compared to 650 is faster , tighter on bass , the imaging is better than everything on 5 and 6 line ( its close to Sundara for me some times better ) and also 660s sound more dynamic and clear BUT HD 650 are way smoother more forgiving on bad recordings ( some people say that found HD 660s darker , i dont know why but all my friends and me find them more energetic and clear) .
So in my opinion if u already Have Sundara then get HD 650 because having those 2 headphones u get something amazing from both worlds , Sundara are more neutral clinical clear and HD 650 are smoother more organic and warmer so it would be amazing compliment for each other .
If u had to choose just one Headphone is a different story, in that case HD 660s because its has all the good characteristics from both of them without sacrificing to much ,its like trying to satisfy everyone but not being perfect on something , the Swiss Knife of Headphones .
I concur with this. To me the 650 or 6XX has the most contrast and is the best compliment to the Sundara. Between the two of them you have pretty much everything covered as far as musical genres and playing them well.

Jul 11, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #44,317 of 46,533
If you mean the HD650 is now a “good” headphone only compared to higher priced ones then I cannot agree with your statement. I’ve owned headphones such as the Focal Utopia, Senn HD800, HD800 S, Audeze LCD 2 rev 2 pre Fazor, etc. & the HD650, when properly amped is heads & shoulders above them for overall sound quality. At one time the HD650 was the flag ship for Sennheiser and there are many audiophiles who prefer it as well as the HD600 to the HD800 and other high priced headphones.

I’m not into measurements [not saying you are] and no longer part of the FOTM club. Both the HD600 & HD650 are proven high quality sounding headphones regardless or price. Another thing that really helps to get the best out of headphones is using EQ [oh, horror of horrors I can hear coming from the purists]. EQ, when properly done will improve and balance out your headphone, again, regardless of price because there’s no such thing as a ”perfect sounding/ balanced headphone”.

Just my two cents, base on my personal experience and lots of money spent over the years I spend in the rabbit hole.
I agree with BobG55. Using the word “budget” in this context has judgmental overtones which are simply wrong. The 600/650 may not be “the best” in any particular respect (except midrange glory, which is a big one, come to think of it), but you could spend a whole lot more and do a whole lot worse for an all arounder. The Anandas are going back to Hifiman because to my ear, while beautiful sounding, they are flatter and more lifeless than the 650s (not even the 650s strong suit, just my overall impression). I’ll keep searching, because, well it wouldn’t be a hobby if I stopped, but Sennheiser got something very right with this line. They’re going to remain hard to beat.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #44,318 of 46,533
out of curiosity. anyone own the Koss KPH30i? how does it compare to the 600/650/660s? in detail, tuning, and level of warmth. I know it's an odd match up due to pricing but since it's such a well known headphone for the budget, I think someone kind enough can share some insights?

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #44,319 of 46,533
out of curiosity. anyone own the Koss KPH30i? how does it compare to the 600/650/660s? in detail, tuning, and level of warmth. I know it's an odd match up due to pricing but since it's such a well known headphone for the budget, I think someone kind enough can share some insights?
Compared to the 650, it's warmer and less detailed, lacking the same treble and bass extension. From what I understand, the KPH30i is sort of a budget HD 58X before modding, with a bit of bloom in the bass. Detail level is not great, particularly in the bass, but its timbre is fantastic for the price.

Again though, the 650 is a totally different level, particularly with vocal timbre.

It's such a widely available headphone, you should probably find a store, take in your Arias to compare the vocal timbre. If you like it a lot, buy the 6XX.

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #44,320 of 46,533
I have 2 of koss 30i a stock one and i Mod one that i make it over ear , u can see those on koss 30i topic i have some photos there also.

Koss 30i are amazing headphones for the price that are warm on ear very light also i would choose those over many other headphones ... But there is not even close to HD 600 650 660s on every level . HD6 series are faster more detail more air and space honestly are better on everything also comfort is better on HD6 line.
What makes the koss better than HD6 is the price portability and easy to drive.
They really worth the price but dont expect HD 6 level of sound .
I mostly sleep with them because they are slim comfy and smooth sounding ... Those and HD25 light are 2 favorite on ear i have heard but different sound profile.FB_IMG_16263833197288612.jpgFB_IMG_16263833992003249.jpg20210522_122650_HDR.jpg20210522_123626.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #44,321 of 46,533
Hey all. I don’t know if this has been done before already, and if it has I’ll add my impressions…

Im going to try comparing the 6XX, the 58X, and 650 (not pictured), on my channel. I just started the channel but hope to get a lot of stuff out there, like with my Sennheiser’s. The 650 was my first audiophile headphone, and the 800 was my first audiophile love - especially with classical. So I have some love of sennheiser to share on this thread to be sure :) It may be a few weeks with me setting it all up but ya.

Im trying to get a recording rig set up too so I can provide you all with how they each sound side by side. I know I’ve been curious if the 6XX is ACTUALLY the same as the 650. I also got the 58X because..:well I was just curious haha.

Feel free to stop by sometime to check it out, or sub if you want to get notified of when the comparisons happen.

Peace!

image.jpg

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #44,322 of 46,533
Hey all. I don’t know if this has been done before already, and if it has I’ll add my impressions…

Im going to try comparing the 6XX, the 58X, and 650 (not pictured), on my channel. I just started the channel but hope to get a lot of stuff out there, like with my Sennheiser’s. The 650 was my first audiophile headphone, and the 800 was my first audiophile love - especially with classical. So I have some love of sennheiser to share on this thread to be sure :) It may be a few weeks with me setting it all up but ya.

Im trying to get a recording rig set up too so I can provide you all with how they each sound side by side. I know I’ve been curious if the 6XX is ACTUALLY the same as the 650. I also got the 58X because..:well I was just curious haha.

Feel free to stop by sometime to check it out, or sub if you want to get notified of when the comparisons happen.

Peace!

image.jpg
sounds interesting! Please make sure you use brand new pads on your 650 and 6xx. (very crucial on pad life on the sennheiser cans apparently from what I've heard)
And if you can, compare it with the original Sennheiser pads as well since from my understanding the 6xx has different out of the box pads?

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #44,323 of 46,533
I have 2 of koss 30i a stock one and i Mod one that i make it over ear , u can see those on koss 30i topic i have some photos there also.

Koss 30i are amazing headphones for the price that are warm on ear very light also i would choose those over many other headphones ... But there is not even close to HD 600 650 660s on every level . HD6 series are faster more detail more air and space honestly are better on everything also comfort is better on HD6 line.
What makes the koss better than HD6 is the price portability and easy to drive.
They really worth the price but dont expect HD 6 level of sound .
I mostly sleep with them because they are slim comfy and smooth sounding ... Those and HD25 light are 2 favorite on ear i have heard but different sound profile.FB_IMG_16263833197288612.jpgFB_IMG_16263833992003249.jpg20210522_122650_HDR.jpg20210522_123626.jpg
yup I recall coming across your mod on the koss thread. That makes it a closed back right?
I also posted my mod a few weeks ago using the Grado G pads with an added layer of foam at the back to fix the thinner mids caused by the G pads mod.
Timbre is really nice and no grain compared to my m50x (what a nightmare) haha. Can't believe a cheap headphone could sound that smooth and natural.

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #44,324 of 46,533
Compared to the 650, it's warmer and less detailed, lacking the same treble and bass extension. From what I understand, the KPH30i is sort of a budget HD 58X before modding, with a bit of bloom in the bass. Detail level is not great, particularly in the bass, but its timbre is fantastic for the price.

Again though, the 650 is a totally different level, particularly with vocal timbre.

It's such a widely available headphone, you should probably find a store, take in your Arias to compare the vocal timbre. If you like it a lot, buy the 6XX.
Thanks for the pro tip on the Aria. I'll try to keep that in mind and bring them whenever I get around testing them out at a local store here.
Nice to know the 650 is less warm than the Koss. I really don't want anything too warm in my line up (without tubes at least). reason why I skipped the Moondrop Starfields and stuck with the Arias. lol

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #44,325 of 46,533
sounds interesting! Please make sure you use brand new pads on your 650 and 6xx. (very crucial on pad life on the sennheiser cans apparently from what I've heard)
And if you can, compare it with the original Sennheiser pads as well since from my understanding the 6xx has different out of the box pads?
I can see about dabbling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back