Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #42,391 of 46,514
I know imaging is dependent on amps (source combo) as well, but in terms of more of a holography sounds, Hifiman's headphones tend to bring out this imaging characteristics. I think it's due to the way the drivers are configured, and the open nature for the sound to decay outwards. I find holography to be how the sound attacks when becomes present, and how it decays around itself. I usually found dynamics to have a a 'squished to the sound's edge' like imaging, which is a but skew'd. The imaging space has some sort of an elliptical space (and the contour differs by headphones), but for dynamics, the sounds gets pushed to the edge, whereas a Hifiman planar, you can hear the sound presence like close to reality, attacks and decays in both sides.

Amps and somewhat degree of DACs can change the imaging characteristics of the dynamics to a degree. If anybody has not tried Bottlehead crack OTL with speedball, I highly recommend trying to get an introductory to this interesting kind of imaging with dynamics that can be had. It's high impedance output, tranformerless, 120 ohms, so 300 ohm beyond headphones are recommended. There's good reasons why people often recommend the crack for 300 ohm and beyond dynamic driver headphones.
I use them with my Chord Mojo, which is supposed to have excellent depth to it's soundstage and imaging.

The DT 150 and HD 540 Gold (both dynamics), on the Mojo, are definitely a good amount more 3D or holographic with the soundstage and imaging than the HD 650, and they don't have that flat soundstage at all, like the HD 650 has.

However, on binaural recordings, the HD 650 definitely can portray rear soundstage depth well

Apr 28, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #42,392 of 46,514
I use them with my Chord Mojo, which is supposed to have excellent depth to it's soundstage and imaging.

The DT 150 and HD 540 Gold (both dynamics), on the Mojo, are definitely a good amount more 3D or holographic with the soundstage and imaging than the HD 650, and they don't have that flat soundstage at all, like the HD 650 has.

However, on binaural recordings, the HD 650 definitely can portray rear soundstage depth well

Not heard DT150. But DT990 has a lot flat soundstage than HD 6 series.
BTW, I found lot of headphones cannot present soundstage height, even they may have a good depth. The power of Sennheiser is soundstage height presentation.

Apr 28, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #42,393 of 46,514

Having owned both the DT 150 and HD 650 at the same time, the DT 150 just images better and sounds more 3D, not to the degree of it's older sibling the DT 480(which is an imaging and holography monster) but it doesn't have the lacking stock tuning of the DT 480. The DT 150 isn't quite as refined and smooth as the HD 650 though and I found them to behave very differently from each other from system to system. While the HD 600/650 scale very well, and most of my complaints do go away on a good system; I haven't quite heard them reach the imaging and holography capability of some other dynamics. I like the HD 600 and HD 650 mostly for their tuning and tonality while having high fidelity sound that rewards you with better gear.

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #42,394 of 46,514
Having owned both the DT 150 and HD 650 at the same time, the DT 150 just images better and sounds more 3D, not to the degree of it's older sibling the DT 480(which is an imaging and holography monster) but it doesn't have the lacking stock tuning of the DT 480. The DT 150 isn't quite as refined and smooth as the HD 650 though and I found them to behave very differently from each other from system to system. While the HD 600/650 scale very well, and most of my complaints do go away on a good system; I haven't quite heard them reach the imaging and holography capability of some other dynamics. I like the HD 600 and HD 650 mostly for their tuning and tonality while having high fidelity sound that rewards you with better gear.
Yes, same reason I have the HD 650 in my collection. For soundstage and imaging, I have my HD 540 Gold.

I actually find the DT 150 smoother than the HD 650 in texture. HD 650 is only smoother in frequency response. DT 250 - 250 ohms is king in the smooth texture regard though

The DT 150 (w/ DT 100 velours) has more forward vocal emphasis than the HD 650 as well on my system, though the HD 650 still is more forward than neutral, with the Mogami 2893 cable, Chord Mojo and 2 jitterbugs + shielded USB (very important! Otherwise they'll sound thin with the Mojo, like has been reported many times)

DT 150 also has a lot better subbass extension and impact, but mid bass seems to be tighter on the HD 650.

But HD 650 annoys me less, because I have a short and flexible cable for it (thinnest Mogami 2893 possible). I will have the DT 150 cable modded the same way though.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #42,395 of 46,514
Yes, same reason I have the HD 650 in my collection. For soundstage and imaging, I have my HD 540 Gold.

I actually find the DT 150 smoother than the HD 650 in texture. HD 650 is only smoother in frequency response.

The DT 150 (w/ DT 100 velours) has more forward vocal emphasis than the HD 650 as well on my system, though the HD 650 still is more forward than neutral.

But HD 650 annoys me less, because I have a short and flexible cable for it. I will have the DT 150 cable modded the same way though.

The Beyers do have smoother texture and just an overall cleaner response, I find that's the case in most Beyers compared to Senns in general and I think EQ'd/corrected Beyers sound better than EQ'd/corrected Senns. When I was talking about smoothness and refinement, I was referring more to the FR response. Fidelity wise I think the Beyers have better drivers.

Apr 28, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #42,396 of 46,514
The Beyers do have smoother texture and just an overall cleaner response, I find that's the case in most Beyers compared to Senns in general and I think EQ'd/corrected Beyers sound better than EQ'd/corrected Senns. When I was talking about smoothness and refinement, I was referring more to the FR response. Fidelity wise I think the Beyers have better drivers.
Yeah. Although I don't find the highs particularly hyped up on the DT 150, even with the velours. They seem just right to me, extended and sparkly, but not unnaturally so, yet extremely smooth. Even on too bright recordings.

There is more treble energy than the HD 650, yes definitely, but it's because the HD 650 is a bit rolled off, not because the Beyer is actually too emphasized.

Still, the rolloff doesn't really bother me on the HD 650, because it's just a little roll-off, not too much.

The HD 650 has a bit more natural timbre than the DT 150, which is why I keep them.

Apr 28, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #42,397 of 46,514
Yeah. Although I don't find the highs particularly hyped up on the DT 150, even with the velours. They seem just right to me, extended and sparkly, but not unnaturally so, yet extremely smooth. Even on too bright recordings.

There is more treble energy than the HD 650, yes definitely, but it's because the HD 650 is a bit rolled off, not because the Beyer is actually too emphasized.

Still, the rolloff doesn't really bother me on the HD 650, because it's just a little roll-off, not too much.

The HD 650 has a bit more natural timbre than the DT 150, which is why I keep them.

I never really found the DT 150 too bright like most other Beyers, they do have more attack to their treble than the Senns. The HD 600 and 650 both are more subdued in their attack.

Honestly I agree the HD 650 does have a more natural timbre. I personally like the timbre more from the Amiron Home and T1.2(most recent ones I heard were quite warm and darker than expected) than the HD 600/650. The Senns don’t have quite enough attack and can be a little depressing to listen to at times, especially on my Lyr 3 Multibit. But compared to the DT 150, DT 990, etc. I find the Senns have better timbre. I also find the Senns better in terms of timbre than the DT 1990 which I find is slightly off in its upper mids and is a little sharper sounding than I’d like.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #42,398 of 46,514
Yep. I chased planars because of their speed and transient response. They are faster than dynamics but that's about it. Everything always seemed to be on the same plane soundstage wise. At one point I had the HD650, HD700, HE560 and HEXv1 running all on MJ2 for comparison. After 3 weeks , I knew then my journey with planars was over. Lol.
Out of those 4 the HD650 to me was the most holographic and immersive even though the stage wasn't as big as the rest. HD700 took the cake in stage size by a small margin over the HEX. And imo the HEX was the worst sounding of the bunch over all, and was the most expensive can I purchased. Says a lot about the 6 series competing with cans costing a lot more. The HD800 I disliked more than anything I've owned.
Cheers!

"They are faster than dynamics but that's about it"

I love the HD650--it's an amazing value & one of my favorite headphones. But I think you got the planar vs dynamic thing a little wrong. The soundstaging of the HEX v2 is quite a bit more spacious than the HD650's. So is the ZMF Ori's. By contrast, the HD650's soundstaging is more compact/concise, yet very musically pleasing to me. People describe it as "intimate," and that's a good word.

In fairness, the HD650 does certain things (midrange, tonality/timbre, musical naturalness) about as well as any headphone I've heard.

My preference these days is open-back planars. They do some things that I just can't get from dynamics (low distortion/black background, thick, textured bass & notes exploding/receeding quickly). But I'd never get rid of my HD650 (modded by Jupiter Audio Research). It's an essential for me...

Apr 29, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #42,399 of 46,514
I think you misunderstood my post. Please read it again. Never said that the 650 Soundstage was bigger than the HEX. However, the HD700 is.
The 650 imo is the most holographic of the bunch. There's a difference between holography and soundstage size
"They are faster than dynamics but that's about it"

I love the HD650--it's an amazing value & one of my favorite headphones. But I think you got the planar vs dynamic thing a little wrong. The soundstaging of the HEX v2 is quite a bit more spacious than the HD650's. So is the ZMF Ori's. By contrast, the HD650's soundstaging is more compact/concise, yet very musically pleasing to me. People describe it as "intimate," and that's a good word.

In fairness, the HD650 does certain things (midrange, tonality/timbre, musical naturalness) about as well as any headphone I've heard.

My preference these days is open-back planars. They do some things that I just can't get from dynamics (low distortion/black background, thick, textured bass & notes exploding/receeding quickly). But I'd never get rid of my HD650 (modded by Jupiter Audio Research). It's an essential for me...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #42,401 of 46,514
Apr 30, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #42,402 of 46,514
May 1, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #42,403 of 46,514
May 1, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #42,405 of 46,514
Ah, yes please.
TRRS connector. I wonder which device you connect it to..

here ya go!

9940170_l.jpg

HD6XX with KK Cable KTH-O.F. 2.5mm to Fiio Q1 mkii to Note8

Full album below (don't know how to embed a gallery?):

https://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/kk-cable-kth-o-f-2-5mm-balanced-for-hd-6xx.1154945/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back