Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #40,861 of 46,514
If that is the case, you and I certainly hear differently. I think I'm most sensitive to 6-9k. You're the person I would be arguing with all day on sound sigs. LOL.

I think my treble sensitivity is different for iems and full-sized. I don't think they overlap in target signature.
Didnt see you were replying to him.. makes me feel happy that i am starting to get to know sound a bit better!

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #40,862 of 46,514
If that is the case, you and I certainly hear differently. I think I'm most sensitive to 6-9k. You're the person I would be arguing with all day on sound sigs. LOL.

I think my treble sensitivity is different for iems and full-sized. I don't think they overlap in target signature.
Good to have many points of view (different ears) when it comes to audio. My GF is similar to you in that she is a little sensitive to 8-9khz so she and I usually agree to disagree a lot of times but she does have similar preferences to genre so we have something we both agree on. To her the HD600 is decent and the 3.5-4khz peak doesn't bother her but she considers it a bit dry and thin and the HD650 is too warm and full but she seems to like it when watching TV these days. She also didn't like the HD660S when I borrowed it from my friend and says its a bit off in the mids and she also hears more grain in the highs than on the HD600 and HD650, similar to what Tyll says.

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #40,863 of 46,514
Im currently searching for a headphone to complement my DT880 for those treble happy tracks that are unlistenable on the beyerdynamic. Its either the HD650 or the HD600. I like the idea that the 650 has less treble but i do not like recessed vocals so im trending torwards the 600. They will be paired with a BH Crack which im saving up for. Any Input from you guys?

I have plenty of treble and vocals sound nice on the Bottlehead Crack using my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones.

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #40,864 of 46,514
I am 19 and I just recently got into the hobby.. been doing speakers for a while but just moved on to headphones. 600's were my first very good can. So, that may be why we have different perceptions on that. But at the end of the day, all that matters is that we enjoy the hobby :wink:

Pretty good wisdom for someone who is 19. :wink: Enjoy the hobby & keep a close eye on your wallet.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #40,866 of 46,514
Good to have many points of view (different ears) when it comes to audio. My GF is similar to you in that she is a little sensitive to 8-9khz so she and I usually agree to disagree a lot of times but she does have similar preferences to genre so we have something we both agree on. To her the HD600 is decent and the 3.5-4khz peak doesn't bother her but she considers it a bit dry and thin and the HD650 is too warm and full but she seems to like it when watching TV these days. She also didn't like the HD660S when I borrowed it from my friend and says its a bit off in the mids and she also hears more grain in the highs than on the HD600 and HD650, similar to what Tyll says.
Have you seen this presentation by Tyll yet? Also, this article(below) is quite interesting. Our ear shapes have some differences and effects the overall response in how we hear.

Headphone101_InterpretingFrequencyResponse_Photo_EarChartNumbers.jpg

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #40,867 of 46,514
Perhaps due to my preference for a certain sound signature, I just cannot seem to enjoy listening to the HD 6XX. No matter what the genre of music or source (Concero HP, Mojo, nano BL), they just underwhelm in all aspects when compared to my Meze 99 Classics, V-Moda M100 and ZN, and Master & Dynamic MH40.

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #40,868 of 46,514
@SilverEars, thanks for posting the link about ear shapes.

@swiftytoenails, based on the headphones you have listed that you like I'd guess the HD650/6XX would never fit your preferred sound signature. You might want to look into a Fostex TH-X00 or similar since they will have the bass that you seem to like.

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #40,870 of 46,514
Although the 600 and 650 start from the well-known sennheiser sound signature, each one has its essence and particularities, already decided on which one I would buy, sennheiser shows that there are still many people working on the 6x0 line and launches the 660. After following the Reviews and comments, I made the decision according to my personal taste.

I was looking for a sound that most closely resembles how it feels to sit in the middle line between the stage and the final part of the concert, in the case in the middle of the audience. When calculating the acoustics of a room, there will be places where the reverberation will be perfect, and the resonance would fit your ears as if the band or orchestra were playing just for you. The central is the main voice of the band, which comes right in front of you, the more you feel about the music, the more you perceive the instruments. The man at the table has to know how to equalize the sound for the show, if not the best voice and instruments, they will be very bad. Being well equalized, the right thing is to make your voice stronger and sweeter than the most strident instruments, with which the instruments are completing harmonically with the main voice. Engineers who know what they are doing, can make the headphones reproduce as realistically as possible a concert, thinking of the acoustics, the well-positioned band and equalized sound. A great engineer already manages to make the concert hall seem to have the best acoustics, the band is well positioned and mainly, the instruments do not stand out to the main one, that is the voice of the singer.

I feel it on the HD650. Congratulations Sennheiser! As an Architect, I like to greet a team when doing a great project.

Ps. The photos and videos of the HD650 can not do justice to opening the luxurious sennheiser box and seeing the King in that unique painting that harmonizes with the tone of the black velvet cups along with the timeless design of the HD6x0 line sennheiser was able to make the most beautiful headphones of the last decades. These headphones are complete. The sennheiser now offers the 600, 650 and 660, discover your taste and enjoy your music.

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #40,871 of 46,514
Although the 600 and 650 start from the well-known sennheiser sound signature, each one has its essence and particularities, already decided on which one I would buy, sennheiser shows that there are still many people working on the 6x0 line and launches the 660. After following the Reviews and comments, I made the decision according to my personal taste.

I was looking for a sound that most closely resembles how it feels to sit in the middle line between the stage and the final part of the concert, in the case in the middle of the audience. When calculating the acoustics of a room, there will be places where the reverberation will be perfect, and the resonance would fit your ears as if the band or orchestra were playing just for you. The central is the main voice of the band, which comes right in front of you, the more you feel about the music, the more you perceive the instruments. The man at the table has to know how to equalize the sound for the show, if not the best voice and instruments, they will be very bad. Being well equalized, the right thing is to make your voice stronger and sweeter than the most strident instruments, with which the instruments are completing harmonically with the main voice. Engineers who know what they are doing, can make the headphones reproduce as realistically as possible a concert, thinking of the acoustics, the well-positioned band and equalized sound. A great engineer already manages to make the concert hall seem to have the best acoustics, the band is well positioned and mainly, the instruments do not stand out to the main one, that is the voice of the singer.

I feel it on the HD650. Congratulations Sennheiser! As an Architect, I like to greet a team when doing a great project.

Ps. The photos and videos of the HD650 can not do justice to opening the luxurious sennheiser box and seeing the King in that unique painting that harmonizes with the tone of the black velvet cups along with the timeless design of the HD6x0 line sennheiser was able to make the most beautiful headphones of the last decades. These headphones are complete. The sennheiser now offers the 600, 650 and 660, discover your taste and enjoy your music.
Looking for a job writing ad copy for Sennheiser? :)

Just kidding. Thanks for posting.

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #40,874 of 46,514

I feel nauseous

Mar 7, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #40,875 of 46,514
Judging by your Avatar SilverEars, yours are pointy. Wonder what the sound effects are like for you ? :smile:
My Coon ears? These coon ears are sensitive to treble peaks and sibilance. I wish sibilance never existed, and instead of pinapple hate club thread, should be a sibilance hate club.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Fusi
Back