Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #40,891 of 46,499
Finally, a big food fight on this thread that's NOT about the V-Word!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
After 600 hours of burn on on the cable I got, and FINALLY! No more veil!

No really. the Yggy likely needs to be on for 4-8 hours to warm up, but after that, it should be good to go. The Schiit line of multibit DACs does seem to work better when they are properly warmed up. There might even be a scientific reason for that.

headphone burnin, for some headphones, can be very real. I was at a meet with a new Ether C and a burned in one. Everyone could easily tell the difference in a blind test. a year later and no one could tell the difference. That was one headphone that seems to benefit greatly from burn in. Many do not change it all. I would venture that most headphones don't change that radically, maybe 1 or 2 db at certain frequencies. It certainly possible a headphone that was sitting virtually unused for years might change a bit after use. Maybe it got a little dried out and using it stretched things back into shape.

Some people believe there is value in burning in cables. There doesn't appear to be scientific evidence of it helping, either measurable or ABX testing. That doesn't mean it doesn't help, it just means we need better ways to measure. Its possible the Yggy sounds different after the internal or external wires are "burned in". The likelihood this is true is very very small based on science, but it's not 0.

Ponder this: Is there a veil if you are Vail, Co?

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #40,892 of 46,499

I used to work in Vail, CO, and I can tell you that I had no veil on any of my audio gear. Scientifically speaking, of course.

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #40,894 of 46,499

No really. the Yggy likely needs to be on for 4-8 hours to warm up, but after that, it should be good to go. The Schiit line of multibit DACs does seem to work better when they are properly warmed up. There might even be a scientific reason for that.

headphone burnin, for some headphones, can be very real. I was at a meet with a new Ether C and a burned in one. Everyone could easily tell the difference in a blind test. a year later and no one could tell the difference. That was one headphone that seems to benefit greatly from burn in. Many do not change it all. I would venture that most headphones don't change that radically, maybe 1 or 2 db at certain frequencies. It certainly possible a headphone that was sitting virtually unused for years might change a bit after use. Maybe it got a little dried out and using it stretched things back into shape.

Some people believe there is value in burning in cables. There doesn't appear to be scientific evidence of it helping, either measurable or ABX testing. That doesn't mean it doesn't help, it just means we need better ways to measure. Its possible the Yggy sounds different after the internal or external wires are "burned in". The likelihood this is true is very very small based on science, but it's not 0.

i had the same expereince with HE400i and HD6XX, also i got a B&W P7 and it sounded so dull and flat with almost no bass that i sent back, now i think that it was probably because i opened it, listened for 10 minutes ans put it back in the box with no burn in :D

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #40,896 of 46,499
I received my 6XX yesterday and they have +/- 15hrs burn-in on them. I'm listening to them right now via XLR with my GS-X Mk2 and for years all I've read about was the Sennheiser veil. What veil???
There’s no way to tell unless comparing them, but I really think the 6xx has a little more energy up top than the 650, just enough to eliminate the veil. One would need a sample of each headphone approximately the same age to compare.

That said, that amp certainly drives the headphones well, and better than most any other SS amp.

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #40,898 of 46,499
that amp drives everything to perfection, you kidding me? that's like endgame amp.

No offense intended. I was't kidding about anything. Saying an amp drives a headphone well is compliment to the amp.

It's a great amp, but I prefer a warmer/lusher amp for the Utopias or the HD800, for example. I think it pairs great with the HD650/6xx and many other headphones. It's certainly a fantastic end game amp when paired with the right DAC and headphones, but no amp is a perfect match for every headphone.

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #40,899 of 46,499
Pink Floyd, The Wall on HD650 headphones, and my slightly upgraded Bottlehead Crack with the 1.1 Speedball upgrade. Lotoo Paw Gold Diana is my source, all connected with Audioquest Big Sur interconnect Yeah, baby!!!
0314180748_Film3.jpg

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #40,903 of 46,499
I received my 6XX yesterday and they have +/- 15hrs burn-in on them. I'm listening to them right now via XLR with my GS-X Mk2 and for years all I've read about was the Sennheiser veil. What veil???
Haha exactly like i thought 3 years ago at first listening.

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #40,904 of 46,499

I have SS-DS dac+SS amp and i let them on 24 /7 with a break after 1 month,lol.

Mar 14, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #40,905 of 46,499
Wrong again. This is about belief. That is all it can be, without everyone having their own set of test equipment, and the knowledge to use it.

Once again read the title of the thread: "Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread".

Re "That is all it can be, without everyone having their own set of test equipment, and the knowledge to use it." That must be you, right?

Sooner or later his nonsense breaks out in just about every thread...some self-appointed Prophet of Logic pops ups, helpfully critiquing everyone else's beliefs as false,

It's incredibly tiresome being preached at. It's not a good way to make friends or influence people...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back