Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #35,176 of 46,565

I can't be sure I even know what a veil is.  I upgraded to the HD650 from the HD598, which had more treble and better soundstage, so the veil I heard might have been just the more laid back less bright sound of the HD650.  Then again, I'm not a very critical or picky audio person nor even close to an audiophile.  I guess you can consider me as someone with more money than brains haha....
I just spent $8000 on ticking the Burmester box on my new ordered Porsche...arguably the worst place to listen to music....but I couldn't resist.

I got the non-multi bit Gungnir.  I haven't done enough research nor did I feel like the multi bit would be worth it to someone who just got into the head-fi game.  I'm less than a month into this hobby.
Once I do more research and my curiosity for better sound, I may upgrade to the MB version.  Although I'm pretty easily pleased, I loved my HD598 and I love the HD650 even more after a few days.
I'm sure I'll be just fine with the non-MB version.  I made the decision to go for the Gungnir/Mjolnir2 instead of Bifrost/Valhalla2 is mostly because it looks so cool (like a dedicated listening station) and to try out balanced vs SE input/source.  Experimentation is half the fun no? :)

Enjoy your new toys.  But enjoy the music and forget about the tiny little details with gear -- for now. 
evil_smiley.gif

The Rabbit Hole has never been deeper. 
cool.gif

I very much fear the deep rabbit hole and I know how far it can go....but this is a "relatively" fun and cheap hobby.  The only part that I'm having trouble with is that everything is so subjective and no ones opinion is the same, unlike the automotive world where there are actual numbers and figures to go by.  Makes it very hard to buy equipment or even tubes for the Mjolnir 2.  Regardless, I am still a newb but I can't wait for the Gungnir/Mjolnir2 and HD800S to arrive and I can compare them to the already loved HD650/Apogee Groove combo.  :)

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #35,177 of 46,565

I did order the sports exhaust.  The car is a Macan GTS, my 2nd Porsche, first was a 997 Carrera S with Bose.  I did some extensive listening during the ordering process and for the 2017 year, the Bose is much improved vs previous years.  My final decision for the Burmester was that, no matter the source be it radio, bluetooth streaming via Spotify/Tidal or USB 320kpbs mp3, it all sounded really impressive.  The Bose, some songs sounded good, some sounded bad, while Burmester was consistently impressive.  I can't wait for it to arrive as well, only 5 more weeks till delivery :)

2015 Cayman GTS with Bose - way better than 2009 Cayenne Bose and 2008  Boxster PDE2 - Bose.

But Burmester - I heard in the Panamera Turbo and yep - it lives up to its name.

The Macan GTS is awesome! I drove the Turbo and the S recently and man - so amazing. Love it. You will have a blast - I am sure.

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #35,178 of 46,565

I very much fear the deep rabbit hole and I know how far it can go....but this is a "relatively" fun and cheap hobby.  The only part that I'm having trouble with is that everything is so subjective and no ones opinion is the same, unlike the automotive world where there are actual numbers and figures to go by.  Makes it very hard to buy equipment or even tubes for the Mjolnir 2.  Regardless, I am still a newb but I can't wait for the Gungnir/Mjolnir2 and HD800S to arrive and I can compare them to the already loved HD650/Apogee Groove combo.  :)

Yep - this is a fun hobby - as long as you enjoy the music. I think you are in for a treat with the new combo. Though - I only got the HD650 later in the game when I already stepped up to more expensive headphones LCD-2, HE-560, PM-2, K10, etc. but nowadays the 650 is my most used headphone at home. It's just so easy to live with. 

cheers!

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #35,179 of 46,565

I did order the sports exhaust.  The car is a Macan GTS, my 2nd Porsche, first was a 997 Carrera S with Bose.  I did some extensive listening during the ordering process and for the 2017 year, the Bose is much improved vs previous years.  My final decision for the Burmester was that, no matter the source be it radio, bluetooth streaming via Spotify/Tidal or USB 320kpbs mp3, it all sounded really impressive.  The Bose, some songs sounded good, some sounded bad, while Burmester was consistently impressive.  I can't wait for it to arrive as well, only 5 more weeks till delivery :)

2015 Cayman GTS with Bose - way better than 2009 Cayenne Bose and 2008  Boxster PDE2 - Bose but Burmester - I heard in the Panamera Turbo and yep - it lives up to its name.

The Macan GTS is awesome! I drove the Turbo and the S recently and man - so amazing. Love it. you will have a blast - I am sure.

Im sure I will too.  Good to know that Porsche fans are also audio fans and not use craving the exhaust notes!!!!  Although I will defend to the death that a combustion engine makes sounds no headphone or speakers can match.  I much rather listen to sports cars exhaust all day long than music out of speakers, born a petrol head and will die a petrol head!!!!!!!

I forgot to mention, best thing about the 2017 with PCM 4.0 is that it NOW can play and read FLAC files.  First time in a Porsche or BMW that I am aware of.  Just another reason to justify the Burmester upgrade. :)

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #35,180 of 46,565

1. The Demo (audition) is everything.
2. After #1, the only opinion that matters is your own.

cheers

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #35,181 of 46,565
I own the hd800's as well as the 650's. 650's still get 85-90 percent of my listening time. I've also had numerous supposedly better phones. Needless to say they are all long gone.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #35,182 of 46,565

1. The Demo (audition) is everything.
2. After #1, the only opinion that matters is your own.

cheers

I agree, but tubes are near impossible to audition.  I auditioned the original HD800 and it was a bit too sharp and piercing to me, and I love bright sound signature (like Focal loudspeakers), which made me spring for the HD650 in the first place, but once I heard the HD800S for a bit, I was pretty satisfied although the audition wasn't for long.  But a good deal came up and I couldn't pass it up and impulse purchased it.  I think the HD650 will still be my first real love of headphones.  <33

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #35,184 of 46,565
  Had a major struggle to get some new pads via a local dealer. Expensive, and basically a pain in the rear to deal with a brick-and-mortar store that told me they could have them in the next day, as long as I pre-paid. Then eventually 13 days later, I got my pads. I haven't put them on yet, but I hope someone can justify my purchase. Do new pads help, at all? My current pads are pretty worn out, and the inner foam is worn through and transparent now. I'm hoping there is some point to this. 

Take a gander at pp.4-6 and 15-16 of SoldierDude's HD650 compendium.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #35,186 of 46,565

2015 Cayman GTS with Bose - way better than 2009 Cayenne Bose and 2008  Boxster PDE2 - Bose.

But Burmester - I heard in the Panamera Turbo and yep - it lives up to its name.

The Macan GTS is awesome! I drove the Turbo and the S recently and man - so amazing. Love it. You will have a blast - I am sure.

All this talk of Porsche's makes me miss my 89 Turbo Cabriolet, the stock Blaupunkt stereo couldn't get loud enough but I don't remember missing tunes in it, also had a 2005 911S but it was more of a cruiser and the stock stereo was decent.  My current 2012 is350 has a Mark Levinson system which is pretty good and my 2002 S-2000 doesn't even have a working stereo, not like it would be heard with the top down and custom Borla exhaust, lol.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #35,187 of 46,565
All this talk of Porsche's makes me miss my 89 Turbo Cabriolet, the stock Blaupunkt stereo couldn't get loud enough but I don't remember missing tunes in it, also had a 2005 911S but it was more of a cruiser and the stock stereo was decent.  My current 2012 is350 has a Mark Levinson system which is pretty good and my 2002 S-2000 doesn't even have a working stereo, not like it would be heard with the top down and custom Borla exhaust, lol.

Lovely. S2000 is such an amazing car indeed. Still is beyond me how HONDA forgot to make a successor. Would Love to hear the exhaust sound. Drove a 2008 IS350 with Mark Levinson sound system for 2 years and also found it pretty damn good. Though to really enjoy it I added HR springs and F-Sport shocks.

The HD650 on the other hand is stock. I just swapped some gear and got hold of a Sony 1140 amp from 1972 (my birthyear) - can't wait to try it this weekend with the HD650.

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #35,188 of 46,565
I drive a Ford Taurus...

It does have a Mach Audio system in it though! Haha

EDIT: In seriousness, I'm going to try the Jodie soon and will be trying out the 650 compared to my Valhalla 2.  Supposedly the Jodie is a fantastic pairing for the 650.

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #35,189 of 46,565
  I drive a Ford Taurus...

It does have a Mach Audio system in it though! Haha

EDIT: In seriousness, I'm going to try the Jodie soon and will be trying out the 650 compared to my Valhalla 2.  Supposedly the Jodie is a fantastic pairing for the 650.

Will like to see what you think of the Jodie, its been on my things to think about

Users who are viewing this thread

Back