Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #35,161 of 46,565
  Just picked up a used BH Crack (SB not installed).

Upgrading from my Magni 1, it seems like the soundstage has opened up, especially the vertical soundstage. Everything just seems more engaging and in-your-face. The bass and midrange are definitely more impactful and powerful. Vocals are still surprisingly clear, although the treble does seem to have lost its shine a bit. 

Didn't notice a huge improvement at first, but it became much more obvious when I switched back and forth (volume matching as best as I could).

Overall, it seems like a great upgrade. Would a Speedball bring the treble/midrange a bit more forward?

If you have the SB you can install it to see if you like the difference, I actually didn't like the SB installed, could be the tubes that I was using.  If you have to purchase the SB I would hold of and try tubes first, as always YMMV

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #35,162 of 46,565

Is Dynamat mod an idiot-proof mod or is it more a recipe-for-disaster for stupid? Because I'm stupid. I'm not lazy or anything, I'm just not handy with tweaking things (never done one), I don't even have a Phillips #2 screwdriver before I got my PC. The dynamat mod (based on end result pictures alone) seems like it's pretty complicated?

Ditto.   You are not alone & you're not stupid by any means.  We all have our limitations.  I can identify with your feelings of inadequacies when it comes to working with tools, etc. 

beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #35,164 of 46,565
Guys, I have the he500, hd600, X2, thx00, should I journeying into hd650. My amp is the grace m9xx

The HD650 is very similar to the HD600, only more laid-back. If you are happy with the HD600, you should save your money.

However, I used the HD600 for about three years and found them a little too bright. I prefer the HD650. 

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #35,165 of 46,565
Yes you should get the 650 as a complement to the 600. It's like vanilla and chocolate. Both are great but in different ways. You can listen to your music in 2 different ways from 2 of the best headphones ever made.
See the comments in the last month or so (from me and others) about how they compare to each other. And they suit different recordings differently. I actually find them significantly different from each other.

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #35,167 of 46,565
Guys, I have the he500, hd600, X2, thx00, should I journeying into hd650. My amp is the grace m9xx

I'd say go for it, to me its a better X2 and the HD-600 just didn't work out for me.  But if your reason is to find a different sound signature I would pass since the HD-650 is close to the X2 & HE500 so while different its not a really big difference and it also depends on the genre of music that you listen to.  If I were you I would look at something really different like a RS2e or DT-990, very different from what you currently have.

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #35,168 of 46,565
Had a major struggle to get some new pads via a local dealer. Expensive, and basically a pain in the rear to deal with a brick-and-mortar store that told me they could have them in the next day, as long as I pre-paid. Then eventually 13 days later, I got my pads. I haven't put them on yet, but I hope someone can justify my purchase. Do new pads help, at all? My current pads are pretty worn out, and the inner foam is worn through and transparent now. I'm hoping there is some point to this. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #35,169 of 46,565
  Had a major struggle to get some new pads via a local dealer. Expensive, and basically a pain in the rear to deal with a brick-and-mortar store that told me they could have them in the next day, as long as I pre-paid. Then eventually 13 days later, I got my pads. I haven't put them on yet, but I hope someone can justify my purchase. Do new pads help, at all? My current pads are pretty worn out, and the inner foam is worn through and transparent now. I'm hoping there is some point to this. 

Am sure they are worth it. Really worn out pads can change the sound a lot. I once replaced my pads on my trusty 598 and really liked how it felt like a brand new headphone.

Put them on and enjoy the magic!!

cheers!

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #35,170 of 46,565
Have been using the HD650 with the apogee groove for about 2-3 weeks now.  I love it.  At first I swear I thought I heard a "veil" but once you get used to it, its a fantastic headphone.  Recently purchased a gungnir/mjolnir2 with HD800s so I can't wait to compare it.  No matter how the HD800s sounds, I won't get rid of the HD650.  I love them too much, plus they look fantastic.  Very class and elegant.  I love the gunmetal headband and the black grills/earpads.  Not as comfortable as the HD800 or HD598 I had previously, but boy do they feel like quality headphones.  At first the build quality only impressed me, the sound was a bit of an adjustment.  Now, I understand why even after 10 years they are consider among the best.

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #35,171 of 46,565

New pads can have a fairly significant impact on the sound quality.  Absolutely worth going the "official pads" route, despite the increase in cost over knock offs.

Have been using the HD650 with the apogee groove for about 2-3 weeks now.  I love it.  At first I swear I thought I heard a "veil" but once you get used to it, its a fantastic headphone.  Recently purchased a gungnir/mjolnir2 with HD800s so I can't wait to compare it.  No matter how the HD800s sounds, I won't get rid of the HD650.  I love them too much, plus they look fantastic.  Very class and elegant.  I love the gunmetal headband and the black grills/earpads.  Not as comfortable as the HD800 or HD598 I had previously, but boy do they feel like quality headphones.  At first the build quality only impressed me, the sound was a bit of an adjustment.  Now, I understand why even after 10 years they are consider among the best.

Plug those 650s into your Mjolnir and never hear a veil again.  Only time any modern 650s have a veil is if they are not being properly matched with gear.  Did you get the D/S Gungnir or Multibit?

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #35,172 of 46,565
I can't be sure I even know what a veil is.  I upgraded to the HD650 from the HD598, which had more treble and better soundstage, so the veil I heard might have been just the more laid back less bright sound of the HD650.  Then again, I'm not a very critical or picky audio person nor even close to an audiophile.  I guess you can consider me as someone with more money than brains haha....
I just spent $8000 on ticking the Burmester box on my new ordered Porsche...arguably the worst place to listen to music....but I couldn't resist.

I got the non-multi bit Gungnir.  I haven't done enough research nor did I feel like the multi bit would be worth it to someone who just got into the head-fi game.  I'm less than a month into this hobby.
Once I do more research and my curiosity for better sound, I may upgrade to the MB version.  Although I'm pretty easily pleased, I loved my HD598 and I love the HD650 even more after a few days.
I'm sure I'll be just fine with the non-MB version.  I made the decision to go for the Gungnir/Mjolnir2 instead of Bifrost/Valhalla2 is mostly because it looks so cool (like a dedicated listening station) and to try out balanced vs SE input/source.  Experimentation is half the fun no? :)

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #35,173 of 46,565
  I can't be sure I even know what a veil is.  I upgraded to the HD650 from the HD598, which had more treble and better soundstage, so the veil I heard might have been just the more laid back less bright sound of the HD650.  Then again, I'm not a very critical or picky audio person nor even close to an audiophile.  I guess you can consider me as someone with more money than brains haha....
I just spent $8000 on ticking the Burmester box on my new ordered Porsche...arguably the worst place to listen to music....but I couldn't resist.

I got the non-multi bit Gungnir.  I haven't done enough research nor did I feel like the multi bit would be worth it to someone who just got into the head-fi game.  I'm less than a month into this hobby.
Once I do more research and my curiosity for better sound, I may upgrade to the MB version.  Although I'm pretty easily pleased, I loved my HD598 and I love the HD650 even more after a few days.
I'm sure I'll be just fine with the non-MB version.  I made the decision to go for the Gungnir/Mjolnir2 instead of Bifrost/Valhalla2 is mostly because it looks so cool (like a dedicated listening station) and to try out balanced vs SE input/source.  Experimentation is half the fun no? :)

Sorry for the off topic, but....
As a fellow Porsche driver - I can tell you the sports exhaust is the only sound system you need. 
beerchug.gif

We are now on Porsche #3 and always "only" had the Bose sound system - and while they are getting better - once you listen to the Burmester - well - the Bose is - as I said: Sports Exhaust is all I listen to. LOL.

cheers and enjoy it!!

EDIT: enjoy the audio ride - but step on the brakes every now and then and enjoy the tunes - only when you get bored - upgrade, otherwise be happy.

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #35,174 of 46,565

Enjoy your new toys.  But enjoy the music and forget about the tiny little details with gear -- for now. 
evil_smiley.gif

The Rabbit Hole has never been deeper. 
cool.gif

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #35,175 of 46,565

Sorry for the off topic, but....
As a fellow Porsche driver - I can tell you the sports exhaust is the only sound system you need. 
beerchug.gif

We are now on Porsche #3 and always "only" had the Bose sound system - and while they are getting better - once you listen to the Burmester - well - the Bose is - as I said: Sports Exhaust is all I listen to. LOL.

cheers and enjoy it!!

EDIT: enjoy the audio ride - but step on the brakes every now and then and enjoy the tunes - only when you get bored - upgrade, otherwise be happy.

I did order the sports exhaust.  The car is a Macan GTS, my 2nd Porsche, first was a 997 Carrera S with Bose.  I did some extensive listening during the ordering process and for the 2017 year, the Bose is much improved vs previous years.  My final decision for the Burmester was that, no matter the source be it radio, bluetooth streaming via Spotify/Tidal or USB 320kpbs mp3, it all sounded really impressive.  The Bose, some songs sounded good, some sounded bad, while Burmester was consistently impressive.  I can't wait for it to arrive as well, only 5 more weeks till delivery :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back