Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #34,996 of 46,535
They are an all-around HP.  I would say they are good at everything, but great at nothing.  By that I mean they will sound good no matter the music, but there are definitely better HP's for specific genres.

Ex.  - Rap / Hip Hop  - maybe the Fidelio X2, or some of the many closed headphones which will have better bass thump. 

Punk/ Metal / electronic- try the HD 700 / Grado's / HE-400S - faster, more energy (treble) for that type of genre

Aug 21, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #34,998 of 46,535
What kinda genre favors the HD650?

For me? Good music.

Too trite? Possibly. It has to be well mastered but given that nothing is going to sound bad. It's forte is Cowboy Junkies though, without a doubt. It's also excellent with Jean-Michel Jarre's latest, Electronica 2. Go figure.

It's all about the music.

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #35,000 of 46,535

Well mastered music in general favors it.

Congratulations. You made post No. 35000.

Thirty-five thousand!
eek.gif

beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #35,001 of 46,535
If the hd650 is $200 less than the 400i, then I would go that route with a Vali 2 or maybe a Modi 2/Vali 1 combo. Would beat the pants off the 400i plus Fiio setup. I owned the 400i for months alongside my hd650 and there wasn't much the 400i does better than a well amped 650. Bass extension is about it.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #35,002 of 46,535
If the hd650 is $200 less than the 400i, then I would go that route with a Vali 2 or maybe a Modi 2/Vali 1 combo. Would beat the pants off the 400i plus Fiio setup. I owned the 400i for months alongside my hd650 and there wasn't much the 400i does better than a well amped 650. Bass extension is about it.

Yeah I agree, 400i doesn't give you more than the 650 except for bass extension. I usually eq the low lows and the 650 really can put out incredible bass.

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #35,003 of 46,535
Yeah I agree, 400i doesn't give you more than the 650 except for bass extension. I usually eq the low lows and the 650 really can put out incredible bass.

And speed. Some percussion sounds amazing with the 400i.

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #35,006 of 46,535

Well mastered music in general favors it.

Congratulations. You made post No. 35000.

Thirty-five thousand!
eek.gif

beerchug.gif

Yeehhhhh ...... [/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img] 
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #35,007 of 46,535
For me? Good music.

Too trite? Possibly. It has to be well mastered but given that nothing is going to sound bad. It's forte is Cowboy Junkies though, without a doubt. It's also excellent with Jean-Michel Jarre's latest, Electronica 2. Go figure.

It's all about the music.

Hi bro..
Just wanna ask for you expert and experience opinions..
I am quite confused to either buy the HD800 or the HD650...
I love the "Planar"...
I love the audeze sound house for bass and meatier sound..
But i love how the treble extension over the ether and unique tuning treble of the T1 gen 1..

Therefore,
Should i ventre to the he650 or the HD800.?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #35,008 of 46,535
Hi bro..
I love the "Planar"...
But i love how the treble extension over the ether and unique tuning treble of the T1 gen 1..

Therefore,

Thanks,
Jonathan

Sorry but you're asking the wrong man. I've never heard a planar headphone or the HD 800. From what I've read from others though I don't think either would particularly suit my taste & the HD 800 definitely doesn't suit my budget. The HD 650 though, when properly sourced & amped, sounds fantastic to my ears. Others will be along with more specific observations. Good luck.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #35,009 of 46,535
What kinda genre favors the HD650?

"Music".

It'd be chin-stroking of the worst kind to give you a silly list like "west coast rock, house, but not mid-2000s Balearic house, jazz.. but not where the drummer is wearing a hat..". They don't catch fire if you start listening to Venetian Snares rather than Miles Davis 
smily_headphones1.gif

They're decent headphones you can use for listening to music. They really demand proper amplification, deceptively so- probably not suited to a small Fiio portable amp. They're not kidding about those 300 Ohms.

As with most things, garbage in, garbage out- so nicely-mastered recordings, through a decent dac and amp will sound good. Everything is there, in the right place- and if that's what you want, you'll enjoy the sound. They have a shade more bass than the 600, and slightly rolled-off highs, on purpose, but the difference is very slight, and a matter of taste. 

As long as you want relatively sensible more-or-less neutral headphones, they're hard to beat at the price. If you secretly yearn for crazy basshead monsters or other very specific signature, there are probably more suitable choices that you could make. It's hard to dissuade anyone from dipping their toe in if they fancy a pair, though- they are good value, comfy and light and will sound great if your music and equipment are up to the job.

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #35,010 of 46,535
Hi bro..
I love the "Planar"...

Therefore,

Thanks,
Jonathan
I see you have the he-6 on your wishlist. Just for that & call it a day. Fantastic bass & treble. Don't think the hd's are going to satisfy you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back