Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #34,981 of 46,564
  HD-650 on the side for now, ypsilon driver in walnut wood cups and SR-225i drivers in rosewood cups are the headphones of the moment for GF and self, but not to worry, HD-650 will always be around

HD 650 can be your "main squeeze" .. but functions equally comfortably as a 'side chick.'  It can be a fun, cheap date.. but it's most rewarding.. especially late at night.. if you go all out and treat her right with good food/gear.

As my friend @eke2k6 would say, "a lady in the streets.. and a freak between the sheets."

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #34,983 of 46,564

Glad you're liking the Z7! :) 

Currently listening to Karen Souza - Feels So Good (and it sounds so good!)

I definitely think the Z7 is a good alternative to the HD650. I've owned 2 HD650s in the past and they are magical in their own right. The Z7 is the perfect closed back counterpart and IMO has an even wider imaging than the HD650!

Those are my compliment cans currently too.  Z7s are more bass forward and closed, which can be great for off hours listening...

On a side note, I had a week with the Audeze Sine.  And if you think the HD650 is smooth, you ain't heard nothing yet.  I was kinda disappointed by them, as I was expecting some of that "planar bass" and wasn't feeling the love.  Its a good, not great headphone...

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #34,984 of 46,564
Hello lads, first time posting here.

Ive decided to step into the world of hifi and I have 2 headphones that really look great to me however I would like to ask you advanced users what you think of them.

First one is Senn Hd650 and the other one is Hifiman He400i.
I listen to metal and some little rap/edm and I dont really know if I prefer dark or bright sounding phones.
Also, I will be running these (for some time without amp and then later on) off a cheap Fiio amp so please keep that in mind. I dont have big budget so I have to compensate somewhere :frowning2:
From what I gathered he400i will sound better ...right? Or should I still go for Sennheiser?
Id much rather buy Hd650 because they seem to be better quality and also must admit I MUCH prefer stuff made in EU than China :)

What do you guys think?

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #34,985 of 46,564
Hello lads, first time posting here.

Ive decided to step into the world of hifi and I have 2 headphones that really look great to me however I would like to ask you advanced users what you think of them.

First one is Senn Hd650 and the other one is Hifiman He400i.
I listen to metal and some little rap/edm and I dont really know if I prefer dark or bright sounding phones.
Also, I will be running these (for some time without amp and then later on) off a cheap Fiio amp so please keep that in mind. I dont have big budget so I have to compensate somewhere :frowning2:
From what I gathered he400i will sound better ...right? Or should I still go for Sennheiser?
Id much rather buy Hd650 because they seem to be better quality and also must admit I MUCH prefer stuff made in EU than China :)

What do you guys think?

I haven't owned the hd650's very long, but based off your musical preferences I would go with the 400i's it's faster headphone and I think the planar bass will sound better with the EDM.

If you listened to classical or classic rock I'd say hd650's all the way.

Aug 20, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #34,990 of 46,564
The 400i requires less power to drive. It has a much lower impedance than the hd650.
When I said flexible I meant the he-400i is not as amp picky as the hd650.

+1

Musiklife, based on your needs and musical tastes, I agree 100% with lenroot77 that between these two headphones, the HE-400i would probably better suit your needs. I love my HD-650, and while it doesn't need an expensive amp to perform well, I do think it benefits GREATLY from proper amplification.

As you stated an amplifier will not be available to you for a while, I think the HiFiMan 'phones would probably net you more joy, especially without an amp and going by your musical tastes.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck with whatever you choose.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #34,992 of 46,564
  +1

Musiklife, based on your needs and musical tastes, I agree 100% with lenroot77 that between these two headphones, the HE-400i would probably better suit your needs. I love my HD-650, and while it doesn't need an expensive amp to perform well, I do think it benefits GREATLY from proper amplification.

As you stated an amplifier will not be available to you for a while, I think the HiFiMan 'phones would probably net you more joy, especially without an amp and going by your musical tastes.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck with whatever you choose.
smily_headphones1.gif
OI8s0.jpg

+2 :)

Thanks for the specification! Thank you @Leeroot77 also. Ill have some reading to do on the matter that's for sure!

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #34,993 of 46,564
It was actually me asking :D
Thanks for the answers.
Now I just have to make the decision if he400i are worth almost 200$ more than hd650....
go for it. Your going to get better results with matching the 400i with the fiio than the 650.

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #34,994 of 46,564
It was actually me asking
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the answers.
Now I just have to make the decision if he400i are worth almost 200$ more than hd650....

That's a hard question if the HE-400i is $200 more than the HD-650 since $200 will get you a decent amp (Vali2) to drive the HD-650 but as the others have said your choice of genres favors the HE-400i.  If looking long term the HD-650 would be my choice only because it will scale with better equipment more than the HE-400i.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back