Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #34,757 of 46,554
Thinking seriously about buying these, but I am a little afraid of the mods. There are no pictures. Does anybody know the seller? Would you buy these at that price? $280?

While I don't know the seller, the price is decent but just remember that some of the mods can't be easily un-done:  foam removal, very hard to get the foam back in even if you have the original foam, the quarter mod will require you to get new pads if you don't like it, and the dynamat can be removed but its not the easiest thing to do, its a little messy to get it all off.

While I haven't done any mods to my HD-650 yet, I was also thinking about buying it so I could compare them but have other things I would rather spend on first (wine: chateau haut-brion 2010, $1000 for 2 bottles, or Elise amp + tubes, or Stax SR-507)

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #34,758 of 46,554
While I don't know the seller, the price is decent but just remember that some of the mods can't be easily un-done:  foam removal, very hard to get the foam back in even if you have the original foam, the quarter mod will require you to get new pads if you don't like it, and the dynamat can be removed but its not the easiest thing to do, its a little messy to get it all off.

While I haven't done any mods to my HD-650 yet, I was also thinking about buying it so I could compare them but have other things I would rather spend on first (wine: chateau haut-brion 2010, $1000 for 2 bottles, or Elise amp + tubes, or Stax SR-507)
[/quot

Well the wine you can only enjoy once...

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #34,759 of 46,554
Thinking seriously about buying these, but I am a little afraid of the mods. There are no pictures. Does anybody know the seller? Would you buy these at that price? $280?

Ask for pics, he has a lot of good feedback.

Only reason I wouldn't is because if you live in the US, you can order a brand new pair from Amazon UK for around $285 with the pound taking such a beating after Brexit.

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #34,760 of 46,554

Quote:

Ask for pics, he has a lot of good feedback.

Only reason I wouldn't is because if you live in the US, you can order a brand new pair from Amazon UK for around $285 with the pound taking such a beating after Brexit.

I know the seller from another forum. He is a scholar and a gentleman.

To be honest, the mods are pretty straightforward. Most of them are reversible (apart from spider cage removal). Sourcing dynamat (if you are not in the US) is probably the hardest part.

If you don't feel comfortable cracking your headphone open and modding, that pre-modded pair would be hard to beat...

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #34,761 of 46,554
Thanks a lot for the reply..

That should give he he400 advantage over the he400i..??

Thanks,
Jonathan

depends on your taste i guess - i found the h400 impossible to listen to - the 400i i can stand a bit longer, but it still too harsh imo as i prefer soft pleasurable sound being pumped into my brain at max volume with no pain blasting me away into another universe. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #34,762 of 46,554
depends on your taste i guess - i found the h400 impossible to listen to - the 400i i can stand a bit longer, but it still too harsh imo as i prefer soft pleasurable sound being pumped into my brain at max volume with no pain blasting me away into another universe. 

Haha, nicely put. It's true though... so many headphones have a super present treble that makes 95% of all music (besides classical) hurt my ears. The HD 650s are so smooth in the treble, and I'm sure the original recording artists and mastering engineers intended their music to be played through speakers and normal consumer headphones without heightened treble. I find the HD650s are one of few headphones ive heard without a significant treble peak.

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #34,763 of 46,554
  good to hear it...anyone you suggest, should I send my senn 650s for a good mod?
I love tight bass, and detailed treble, too...my 'go to' for more detailed neutrality
are the sony 7520s...sure i hear they have some treble spike or bass hump, but the detail
and resolution is wonderful (they're closed cans, however).

wish there was someone in canada who did reputable mods on cans....

There are people here who can. I'm closer to Toronto, but there are also some on the west coast. It's also easy enough to do yourself, you'd just need to get some dynamat...

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #34,766 of 46,554
  OMG THIS HD650 HEADBAND MAKES ME WANT TO CHUNK THESE HEADPHONES ACROSS THE ROOM.....  ordering the beyer leather cusshion thing. srs i really feel this is q701 level bad =|

Hope you find a solution to your comfort issue soon.  The only headphone that I really have a comfort issue with is the LCD-2, the curvature of the headband creates a hot spot on the top of my head that get painful after an hour or so, just been to lazy to make a new more padded one.  With the HD-650 the only problem I had was the original clamping force that was giving me head aches after a hour or so but once I stretched it out a little its really comfortable to me with the clamping force on the side of my head supporting most of the weight.

Jul 21, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #34,767 of 46,554
  Hope you find a solution to your comfort issue soon.  The only headphone that I really have a comfort issue with is the LCD-2, the curvature of the headband creates a hot spot on the top of my head that get painful after an hour or so, just been to lazy to make a new more padded one.  With the HD-650 the only problem I had was the original clamping force that was giving me head aches after a hour or so but once I stretched it out a little its really comfortable to me with the clamping force on the side of my head supporting most of the weight.

yeah its werid cus the hd650 is still more comfortable than any other headphone i tried, but as Z described the hd700, i get that "uncanny valley" of comfort where its comfortable, but just that little bit of discomfort makes the whole thing annoying. 

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #34,768 of 46,554
  yeah its werid cus the hd650 is still more comfortable than any other headphone i tried, but as Z described the hd700, i get that "uncanny valley" of comfort where its comfortable, but just that little bit of discomfort makes the whole thing annoying. 

The HD-700 may be a bit more comfortable but it depends on the shape of your head also, my GF thinks its the most comfortable but since she is tiny there is very little clamping force and the curvature of the headband fits her perfectly.  To her the HD-800 is not very comfortable and I think many would consider it fairly comfortable so its hard to say what is comfortable since everyone is different.  Another headphone that I've been getting used to are my Ypsilon driver Grado clone, its very light and with the G pads is quite comfortable for extended periods of 3-4 hours.  I started using it since the HD-650 and HD-700 were starting to feel heavy when I was editing photos for 6-8 hours per day.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #34,770 of 46,554
  OMG THIS HD650 HEADBAND MAKES ME WANT TO CHUNK THESE HEADPHONES ACROSS THE ROOM.....  ordering the beyer leather cusshion thing. srs i really feel this is q701 level bad =|

You must have a very strange head if you thing the 650 is in the same league as the Q701 for comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back