Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #34,741 of 46,564
has anybody tried the hd600 headband cushion on the hd650? i got my wool cover and its MUCH more comfortable, but it still just feels slightly off and i think its the headband cusions, i can still feel them through the wool and it bothers me....looking at the hd600 cushion it looks a lot more comfortable, so thinking of ordering one and putting it in my hd650, it should fit right? any of you guys do it? does it improve comfort? 

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #34,742 of 46,564

Quote:
  has anybody tried the hd600 headband cushion on the hd650? i got my wool cover and its MUCH more comfortable, but it still just feels slightly off and i think its the headband cusions, i can still feel them through the wool and it bothers me....looking at the hd600 cushion it looks a lot more comfortable, so thinking of ordering one and putting it in my hd650, it should fit right? any of you guys do it? does it improve comfort? 

​I tried the HD-600 cushion and it didn't make much difference, the HD-650 pad is only missing the middle section while the HD-600 has 4 hot spots, so its a pick your poison.  Remember the other pad that was talked about earlier, might want to try that or get creative and build your own like I did for my HE-400:

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #34,743 of 46,564
  ​I tried the HD-600 cushion and it didn't make much difference, the HD-650 pad is only missing the middle section while the HD-600 has 4 hot spots, so its a pick your poison.  Remember the other pad that was talked about earlier, might want to try that or get creative and build your own like I did for my HE-400:

right on, its weird cus i notice when i put my 650s on first thing in the morning, they feel uncomfortable, but after i take them off and put them on a few minutes later they feel better...whats up with that??

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #34,744 of 46,564
@Beztis, I understand how you are feeling, last month I was spending a lot of time on the computer editing photos from a album that had been damaged by water and after a few hours I noticed that even my HD-700 and SRH-1840 which I consider two of the more comfortable headphones that I have were becoming uncomfortable.  I started to use a SennGrado build with G cushions and i was able to work on the photos for 6-8 hours at a time without noticing the headphones.  The SennGrados are really light and the G cushions are really comfortable but the sound with the G cushion is not as good as the L cushions, but since I was after comfort the G cushions were great.

I don't know if you adjusted the clamping force of the HD-650 yet but for me it was a issue that I had to take care of, bent the metal sliders out so that it would not give me head a head ache.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #34,745 of 46,564
  @Beztis, I understand how you are feeling, last month I was spending a lot of time on the computer editing photos from a album that had been damaged by water and after a few hours I noticed that even my HD-700 and SRH-1840 which I consider two of the more comfortable headphones that I have were becoming uncomfortable.  I started to use a SennGrado build with G cushions and i was able to work on the photos for 6-8 hours at a time without noticing the headphones.  The SennGrados are really light and the G cushions are really comfortable but the sound with the G cushion is not as good as the L cushions, but since I was after comfort the G cushions were great.

I don't know if you adjusted the clamping force of the HD-650 yet but for me it was a issue that I had to take care of, bent the metal sliders out so that it would not give me head a head ache.

yep, i think what happens is that since these are spring metal bars, in the morning they get tight from sitting all night, so they feel tight when i put them on first thing in the morning - but then few minutes later on my head they get comfy :) 

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #34,746 of 46,564
I was wondering if anyone is using their HD650 with a FiiO X5ii? I have tried my 650's with the X5ii Line Out (thereby utilizing the X5's DAC and Equalizer) into a Schiit Vali2. I normally don't mess around with EQ settings and just run it as is but I don't care for the way the 650's sound. They are to muddy and lifeless sounding. I have experimented other tubes but I still find the sound too dull.

Yesterday I fiddled around with the FiiO's EQ and noticed that the sound tailoring is helping a bit. I have read that the HD650's have this mid bass hump. Perhaps if I made some EQ adjustments in that region I could reduce or soften that hump. Where in the frequency range is this hump? Better still does anyone have some X5 EQ settings for their HD650's that help?

Perhaps I'll also post this request in the X5ii thread. Thanks in advance.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #34,747 of 46,564

I love your grill mod there.  I hope someday to do something similar to an HE-6, which is the only Hifiman I like...

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #34,748 of 46,564

I love your grill mod there.  I hope someday to do something similar to an HE-6, which is the only Hifiman I like...

If you like I can make another pair, either silver, black or the off gold color for the metal part.  The fabric I used is silk organza, very fine but acoustically transparent, only have gold, pink, aqua and white.  Just to let you know the grill material is quite thick so the retaining ring will not fit but I've trimmed the edges so that they fit tight in the cups and will not fall out.  I've built 5 of the grills so far, one for my HE-400, HE-400i and HE-560, and for my son's HE-560 and another friends HE-400i.

Only ask to pay for shipping and $10 to cover the grill material and silk organza fabric.

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #34,749 of 46,564
  If you like I can make another pair, either silver, black or the off gold color for the metal part.  The fabric I used is silk organza, very fine but acoustically transparent, only have gold, pink, aqua and white.  Just to let you know the grill material is quite thick so the retaining ring will not fit but I've trimmed the edges so that they fit tight in the cups and will not fall out.  I've built 5 of the grills so far, one for my HE-400, HE-400i and HE-560, and for my son's HE-560 and another friends HE-400i.

Only ask to pay for shipping and $10 to cover the grill material and silk organza fabric.

Thanks for the offer.  If I end up with an HE-6 someday, I'll take you up on that.  It looks sharp, and probably helps...

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #34,750 of 46,564
Thanks for the offer.  If I end up with an HE-6 someday, I'll take you up on that.  It looks sharp, and probably helps...
Really opens up the sound. He-6's are my second favorite phone currently. 650 still reigns.

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #34,751 of 46,564

Interested to mod my he400 for that..
Will it tame the sibilance of the he400??
Adding more bass extension and control?

Really nice work you have there bro..
Appreciate of your good work.

Talented person.

Regard,
Jonathan

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #34,752 of 46,564
Interested to mod my he400 for that..
Will it tame the sibilance of the he400??
Adding more bass extension and control?

Really nice work you have there bro..
Appreciate of your good work.

Talented person.

Regard,
Jonathan

The grill mod will not tame the sibilance of the HE-400, it is mostly for a little improvement of the sound stage and a maybe a slight improvement of the clarity.  Just remember that this is mostly for the older HE-400 and HE-400i with the back plate, if you have the newer HE-400i with the 2.5mm connectors then it might not make any difference at all per some who have tried the grill mod on the newer HE-400i without the back plate

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #34,753 of 46,564
The grill mod will not tame the sibilance of the HE-400, it is mostly for a little improvement of the sound stage and a maybe a slight improvement of the clarity.  Just remember that this is mostly for the older HE-400 and HE-400i with the back plate, if you have the newer HE-400i with the 2.5mm connectors then it might not make any difference at all per some who have tried the grill mod on the newer HE-400i without the back plate

Thanks for the reply bro.

Appreciated a lot for that.

My soon to be he400i is a screw type..

But i am more interested to mod the he400..

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #34,754 of 46,564
Thanks for the reply bro.

Appreciated a lot for that.

My soon to be he400i is a screw type..

But i am more interested to mod the he400..

Thanks,
Jonathan

It will not tame the sibilance of the HE-400, if anything it just gives the sound more air (more sibilant to some), better separation of instruments and a slightly better sound stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back