Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 16, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #33,917 of 46,564
  The amount that the ear pads compress will change the sound a little but for me the original clamping force was causing me headaches, even after bending the sliders a little the sound didn't change to me but its very easy to use the HD-650 for hours at a time now.

I wasn't ever bothered by the clamping force of them, I do have a thinner and longer head than most people however. I have to click the headband adjuster all the way down to the 10th click in order for the pads to fit correctly over my ears. I guess I've also used them so much the metal sliders have less force than when they were new. 

May 16, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #33,918 of 46,564
The suggestion to slightly bend the metal headband extension has worked just fine for me to adjust the amount of clamping force. You can even tighten them back up again as needed to get it just right. I've done this on 2 HD650s so far.
I wish other phones were as easy to adjust this way. (These are great phones, just to repeat myself yet again.)

May 17, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #33,919 of 46,564
I bought mine used so I'm not sure if the first owner did any bending. He said they were used for only 10 hours max, but I've noticed that they feel perfectly fine on my head and I haven't had to bend them at all. After wearing my gaming headset for a few hours then putting the HD 650s on to relax, it just feels incredible. 

May 18, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #33,920 of 46,564

So a couple of things here. The Woo amps are VERY dependent on the tubes being used. Stock tubes left me with a very similar experience. Good, but not great. Put the right set of tubes on a Woo amp and you'll likely have a remarkably different experience. 

Second, I wouldn't call the wa6 the best amp to pair with the 650. Especially considering the preferences you seem to have. There are better pairing for less money. Such as: Crack, valhalla 2, cma800r among others. 

Yes.

...a WA3.

May 18, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #33,922 of 46,564
As a new owner of HD650 and a complete newbie to headphone amps (as in I've never owned one), I have a puzzling experience to share. 

Having read all the glowing reviews of the cans, I bought them without much fear and have been enjoying them with my integrated Marantz PM6004 amp. I am in the process of building a 2nd listening station for headphones (the Marantz is in my basement for dedicated speaker listening) and am trying to decide what amp to buy for the HD650s. Now I've done tons of research and the prevailing thought is that in general dedicated headphone amps are better than integrated amps. Also, tube amps have been reported by many to pair really well with the HD650s and specifically BHC and Woo Audio WA3 or WA6 are amps that are highly regarded.

Imagine my shock when I took my cans to a local Woo Audio dealer to listen to WA6, expecting a much better sound than what I get from my integrated Marantz PM6004 amp, and found that the sound wasn't better at all! It was different but not better. WA6 sounded sweeter but not by much and I couldn't really tell a huge difference in sound stage. Also, the lower end was weaker.on the WA6. As in, I immediately wished for more base and I'm not a base junkie - I just like a warm, full-bodied sound with good base impact. I listened some Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and Beethoven's 5th symphony, where the timpani strokes in the transition from the 3rd to 4th movement were just so very feeble. Now this could be explained by the difference in the source (I use a dedicated Cary CD 300/100 player with builtin DAC) but the sales person assured me his source was of extremely high quality( lossless encoding audio files and a $1000+ DAC). 

Also, I keep hearing that HD650s are hungry cans and not every amp can power them properly. My Marantz doesn't seem to have an issue with that - I only need to go to about 9 o'clock on the volume knob for comfortable volume and anything higher than 10 o'clock will likely leave me deaf after a couple of hours. On the WA6, I had to turn the volume to 12 to get to normal listening level.

So I'm confused. Did I audition a dud? Do people who own WA6 find base to be lacking? I am wondering if I should actually try to find a vintage integrated amp, like NAD 3020, which is known for its sweet, almost tube-like sound but also powerful base, instead of a dedicated headphone amp.

As a first set-up I would definitely suggest you to find a friend that allows you to try a Burson Lycan.
But please never forget that the last judge are your ears only.

May 18, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #33,923 of 46,564
So, I am hoping people could share some opinions for my current situation, and help me maximize what I have. Sadly, I had to return my recently purchased LG V10, as it was reported stolen (I bought from a pawn shop, lesson learned). Thankfully I got my money back, but now I am in a situation where my primary music device is gone.
What i do have, is the following:

Headphones: HD 650 (original and customer braided cable options)

DAP: Fiio X5, Samsung S6

DAC/AMP: Creative E5

Now, I realize none of this is the best hardware (well, aside from the 650s... :wink: ), but I am hoping to hear opinions on what people would use in this situation, with the obvious goal of maximum SQ possible. Thus, I see:

1) X5 --> 3.5mm out --> E5  --> 650
2) S6 --> 3.5mm out --> E5  --> 650
3) X5 or S6 alone --> 650

Now, i am saving up what i can for a really great player, but in the meantime, i am curious what choice people would make with what i have on hand. Additionally, the USB host out from the S6 to the E5 does not play correctly (distortion and 2x playback), so that option doesn't work unless somebody knows a fix (it happens on a different S6 as well, so i assume its the E5)...

May 18, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #33,924 of 46,564
  So, I am hoping people could share some opinions for my current situation, and help me maximize what I have. Sadly, I had to return my recently purchased LG V10, as it was reported stolen (I bought from a pawn shop, lesson learned). Thankfully I got my money back, but now I am in a situation where my primary music device is gone.
What i do have, is the following:

Headphones: HD 650 (original and customer braided cable options)

DAP: Fiio X5, Samsung S6

DAC/AMP: Creative E5

Now, I realize none of this is the best hardware (well, aside from the 650s... :wink: ), but I am hoping to hear opinions on what people would use in this situation, with the obvious goal of maximum SQ possible. Thus, I see:

1) X5 --> 3.5mm out --> E5  --> 650
2) S6 --> 3.5mm out --> E5  --> 650
3) X5 or S6 alone --> 650

Now, i am saving up what i can for a really great player, but in the meantime, i am curious what choice people would make with what i have on hand. Additionally, the USB host out from the S6 to the E5 does not play correctly (distortion and 2x playback), so that option doesn't work unless somebody knows a fix (it happens on a different S6 as well, so i assume its the E5)...

Welcome to Head-Fi
beerchug.gif
 and congrats on the HD-650.

While I don't have the Fiio X5 or E5, I have the original X3, X3ii and 2 X1.  I would hold out until you can get a decent amp that drives the HD-650 first, for me it would be either Ember or BH Crack for the under $500 range.  None of my DAPs can drive the HE-650 properly so I really don't even try to used the HD-650 with a DAP, other DAPs may work but I have not tried any others and since I consider the HD-650 a home only headphone I've never really tried to use it portable.

May 18, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #33,925 of 46,564
Thanks for the welcome!

For what its worth, a small point of correction - my amp would be  creative E5, not a Fiio E5.  I think the E5 has the oomf to power my cans, but i am curious what people would choose for an overall best EQ (given that this is all stuff i have in hand).

Additionally, while i am sure its possible, i might look a little funny toting a BH Crack around with me (if i missed it, i guess i should have pointed out i want my combo to be mobile as well).  That said, ideally I am saving for a good, all in one unit (perhaps a Fiio X7 and AM5), but that will be down the line a bit...

May 18, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #33,926 of 46,564
  Thanks for the welcome!

For what its worth, a small point of correction - my amp would be  creative E5, not a Fiio E5.  I think the E5 has the oomf to power my cans, but i am curious what people would choose for an overall best EQ (given that this is all stuff i have in hand).

Additionally, while i am sure its possible, i might look a little funny toting a BH Crack around with me (if i missed it, i guess i should have pointed out i want my combo to be mobile as well).  That said, ideally I am saving for a good, all in one unit (perhaps a Fiio X7 and AM5), but that will be down the line a bit...

I think a Bh Crack would look cool being carried around
tongue.gif
, just kidding.

I really don't know much about portable stuff so I hope other in this thread will give you some good advice on portable gear.  my GF uses a HD-700 when she is walking our dog and uses a Fiio X3 to drive them, pretty good pairing.

May 18, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #33,927 of 46,564

Yes.

...a WA3.

WA3 was on my short list but after I heard WA6, I took it off. Is the sound that much different?
As a first set-up I would definitely suggest you to find a friend that allows you to try a Burson Lycan.
But please never forget that the last judge are your ears only.WA

Thanks, I'll look into this. I did consider the Soloist SL and I may still get a used one just to try. I think at this point I have settled on giving Project Ember 2 a go as my first tube amp.

May 18, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #33,928 of 46,564

WA3 was on my short list but after I heard WA6, I took it off. Is the sound that much different?
Thanks, I'll look into this. I did consider the Soloist SL and I may still get a used one just to try. I think at this point I have settled on giving Project Ember 2 a go as my first tube amp.

Remember we are discussing the HD-650, specifically <$1K amps, to which I would say the WA3 is the best I've personally listened to, including the WA6, Bottlehead Crack + Speedball, Schiit amps, and some others etc.

Just my opinion, and YMMV ... please note, however, that @MattTCG's comment is important: you need better tubes than what Woo will send you with the amp. You don't need to go crazy.

PM me if you are going this route and want some reasonable recommendations.

May 18, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #33,929 of 46,564

Remember we are discussing the HD-650, specifically <$1K amps, to which I would say the WA3 is the best I've personally listened to, including the WA6, Bottlehead Crack + Speedball, Schiit amps, and some others etc.

Just my opinion, and YMMV ... please note, however, that @MattTCG's comment is important: you need better tubes than what Woo will send you with the amp. You don't need to go crazy.

PM me if you are going this route and want some reasonable recommendations.

Yes, I remembered that and took it into consideration. WA3 is $600 plus cost of non-stock tubes (?? I guess between $100-$200). Project Ember 2 is $350 plus tubes seem to be less expensive and you only need one. Of course, if WA3 with specific tubes sounds better than Project Ember then the higher cost would be justified. But I have no idea which one I'll like better.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back