Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #33,154 of 46,565
Hi folks .. Can somebody please recommend an aftermarket cable for these that could possibly enhance the sub bass and clarity on these?.. something not too expensive. sub $200.. cheers

The best way to do that is to use DSP.

Windows/Mac:

Sonarworks

iOS:

Accudio

Android:

Viper4Android

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #33,155 of 46,565
Those are probably part of the power circuit, judging by their size 
tongue.gif
  Bass impact/quality and overall dynamics will be affected by those caps the most.

Yep... Checked the page and the ELNA's are the next ones down (Labelled as "Large high-quality sound coupling capacitor")- those are where the sound is passing through. Makes complete sense.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #33,156 of 46,565
  Hi folks .. Can somebody please recommend an aftermarket cable for these that could possibly enhance the sub bass and clarity on these?.. something not too expensive. sub $200.. cheers

Jesus christ, NO. There is no cable that will do this.

edit:
Spend your money on something much wiser... eg. a better DAC, a better amp, new pads, alcohol/etc.

There is literally no way for a regular cable to change the transducers, such that they sound more clear/have more bass/etc. You could build a box that changes the loading on the drivers, and it'll mess up the frequency response if you really want... add or subtract RLC and see what happens. These are the electrical properties that affect how the driver responds.

This is something akin to what the MIT cable does, but it is hardly just a cable... it's really a circuit that connects in series with the drivers. So technically yes, you could buy this cable and it would probably change the sound: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vero-revolutionary-headphone-cable#/

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #33,158 of 46,565
Hahaha, I'm not a cable believer, it's just some of them are cool. Like this guy I saw, his cable was like yarn and could be rolled up easily and stuff. That was sweet.

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #33,161 of 46,565
Jesus christ, NO. There is no cable that will do this.

edit:
Spend your money on something much wiser... eg. a better DAC, a better amp, new pads, alcohol/etc.

There is literally no way for a regular cable to change the transducers, such that they sound more clear/have more bass/etc. You could build a box that changes the loading on the drivers, and it'll mess up the frequency response if you really want... add or subtract RLC and see what happens. These are the electrical properties that affect how the driver responds.

This is something akin to what the MIT cable does, but it is hardly just a cable... it's really a circuit that connects in series with the drivers. So technically yes, you could buy this cable and it would probably change the sound: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vero-revolutionary-headphone-cable#/

Lol. Good for you man. I get tired of the cable voodoo that goes on here sometimes. There was a guy on the vintage thread talking about amp/pre-amp jumpers and fuses making a giant difference lol. Really? Fuses?

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #33,162 of 46,565
Those are probably part of the power circuit, judging by their size :p   Bass impact/quality and overall dynamics will be affected by those caps the most.

Yep... Checked the page and the ELNA's are the next ones down (Labelled as "Large high-quality sound coupling capacitor")- those are where the sound is passing through. Makes complete sense.

The things those large capacitors likely affect have been some of the areas that have been affected the most, it's probably both the capacitors settling in causing the change in sound.

Anyways if someone wants to see if there is any difference between cables, etc. or not, just make recordings with the exact same settings and same headphone in same exact position in regards to the microphone, except said cable and listen and use a spectrum analysis of the recording to see and hear if there are any differences. Rinse and repeat numerous times to see if there is any consistency. Cables should be one of the last things to upgrade in the system as the differences they make are subtle compared to a new amp/DAC/headphone, power quality(there is a reason the best gear has beefy power supplies), etc. It's best to get to the point where one is content with their system then do some cable upgrades if they wish to. I've always found cables make a difference but it's subtle, and shouldn't be a priority honestly.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #33,163 of 46,565
Hey,

I'm very new to this forum and I have a question.

I am planning to buy a headphone that will be different that the one I have now - I use hd598, I love them for the soundstage, I love how comfy they are, but they are too bright and it seems to me like the bass is not detailed at all. After making some reasearch... I'm planning to buy the HD650, as people say that the bass is great and detailed and they are "darker" and more laid back.

I usually listen to progressive rock, Porcupine Tree, as well as other bands like Modest Mouse, Queen, Sufjan Stevens, Patricia Barber etc. etc. 

I want to buy a dac and the amp. At first I've been planning to buy magni2 uber + modi 2 uber to pair them with hd650, but since I already have fiio x3II someone said that I can use it as a dac on my pc and it will not be much different in sound quality form the shiit stack. 

And now I'm confused. Overall my hype was a little bit killed, I would like something that will make a big difference between my hd598 / fiio x3 II / fiio e17k. I thought that hd650 / modi 2 uber / magni 2 uber will do that for me... but nope.

I can spend overall 750 euros (note, I also need to buy headphones) in EU (shipping to Poland). Is there anything in that price range that will be a great improvement, give me something that will blow me awa as compared to my hd598 / fiio x3 II / fiio e17k?

Huge thanks for your help and your time. I'm a newbie, I truly do appreciate your support.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #33,164 of 46,565
  Hey,

I'm very new to this forum and I have a question.

I am planning to buy a headphone that will be different that the one I have now - I use hd598, I love them for the soundstage, I love how comfy they are, but they are too bright and it seems to me like the bass is not detailed at all. After making some reasearch... I'm planning to buy the HD650, as people say that the bass is great and detailed and they are "darker" and more laid back.

I usually listen to progressive rock, Porcupine Tree, as well as other bands like Modest Mouse, Queen, Sufjan Stevens, Patricia Barber etc. etc. 

I want to buy a dac and the amp. At first I've been planning to buy magni2 uber + modi 2 uber to pair them with hd650, but since I already have fiio x3II someone said that I can use it as a dac on my pc and it will not be much different in sound quality form the shiit stack. 

And now I'm confused. Overall my hype was a little bit killed, I would like something that will make a big difference between my hd598 / fiio x3 II / fiio e17k. I thought that hd650 / modi 2 uber / magni 2 uber will do that for me... but nope.

I can spend overall 750 euros (note, I also need to buy headphones) in EU (shipping to Poland). Is there anything in that price range that will be a great improvement, give me something that will blow me awa as compared to my hd598 / fiio x3 II / fiio e17k?

Huge thanks for your help and your time. I'm a newbie, I truly do appreciate your support.

Europe and equipment options are an unknown for me, but since you put some Schiit products on the table, I can tell you the HD650 pairs very well with Bifrost and Lyr. With Schiit bringing out more equipment options and revisions, used equipment is becoming more prevalent. Just an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

• HWB3
Back