Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #30,616 of 46,564
A very thoughtful and intelligent approach to Hi Fi, one in which I share with you.  I read so much here and on other forums about how much others agonize over tiny details and are constantly switching components almost as often as they change their underwear. They've turned playing with the gear itself into it's own hobby. Each to their own I guess, whatever makes them happy but they seem so involved in playing with the gear sometimes I wonder when they have time to just listen to and enjoy the music?
Have a Wonderful  and Blessed Thanksgiving Everyone.
Sal

Guilty as charged. I go through a lot of gear and really have a lot of fun doing it. But I will say I've had an HD 650 almost contiuously since the first day it hit the street.

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #30,617 of 46,564
I can't comment on the dac portion of the hdvd800 but as an amp, it's up there with the best, not just for Sennheisers. There's a strange phenomenon on head fi concerning amps. Anything made by a mainstream company such as sennheiser, bryston, musical fidelity, oppo etc gets zero interest. Only certain small, garage type companies are widely discussed. It almost seems like the longer the wait time for delivery the better. I've read posts by guys waiting months. My personal experience with quite a few of the head fi darling companies has been pretty bad with regard to the amps working properly. That's one reason I tend to focus more on mainstream high-end companies. They just seem to have things more figured out when it comes to a finished product.

Have to take issue with your broad statement that you are having bad luck with the smaller companies being bad, is one I don't agree with. I have been using a Garage 1217 Ember for about a year now, no problems, no long wait for shipment.  The response for customer service has been execellent, and helpful.  I am a member on the Ember forum and see no large scale problems with members amps.  They are constantly striving to improve their offerings, and have expanded the capabilities of the amp itself.  I started out rolling 9 pin tubes, they made an adapter to roll, 6SN7 tubes, tried them, then the adapter for the dual 7193 tubes, and now I am using the the dual  6J6SGT adapter with the St bottles and this so far is the best I have heard from this amp.  Would like to try an hdvd800 sometime but doubt it would scale the 650's higher to make the Ember go away considering the price differencial.  Garage 1217 warranty is five years, generous I would say.So would an amp 4 times the price of the Ember be four times better?  That is a question that, I for one would say no to.  I have considered upgrading,(who hasn't) but after research just getting ready to pull the trigger, they come out with more possiblilites for the Ember, I try them and forget spending all that money, when this keeps me content. YMMV of course.  If I had the funds to buy the new Senns HE 1060 I would in a heart beat.  But there again, would that be a 10 times better sounding amp?  Doubt that. Love the look of it though.

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #30,618 of 46,564
  my take on this is that of course it's totally subjective. headphones are soooooo different from one another. the objective information is here only to help shortening the list of stuff one might like. and because it's so very subjective, I tend not to go at it trying to have the best sound, the highest quality, the TOTL product or stuff like this. I know for a fact such goals have no end. there will always be a new one, a better something at least in one particular spec. that's like trying to be rich, if there is no roof to hit, no matter how high you get, there will always be a higher place and a new product. it's a sure method to fail happiness when your goals have no set limit.

so instead I focus on removing the nagging elements. and about that more than anything else, we cannot listen to other people's opinion. only you know what makes you explode. it would be silly to rely on strangers to tell me what will annoy me in a headphone. for sound I would be very happy with a LCD2, I do prefer it to a hd650. but the weight trumps all in my case. the hd650 could be half the headphone it is, just because it's light and comfy, it would probably still be my first pick.
the hd800 is a noticeably superior headphone, but I can't stand the signature. so would it make sense to pay the extra buck for a hd800 just to end up EQing it as a HD650? not to me. but that might be the audio nirvana of another dude. we put different value on different things. but what's for sure, if your headphone does nothing that gets on your nerve, then it's an amazing headphone for you!
IMO what's missing to the hd650 is that it doesn't go back on its stand by itself when the job is done, roomba style. you know with little wheels around the earcups. but I'm afraid it would make it too heavy so I settle with the actual hd650. life is hard.
biggrin.gif

+1 good statements, another view to see things

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #30,619 of 46,564
Have to take issue with your broad statement that you are having bad luck with the smaller companies being bad, is one I don't agree with. I have been using a Garage 1217 Ember for about a year now, no problems, no long wait for shipment.  The response for customer service has been execellent, and helpful.  I am a member on the Ember forum and see no large scale problems with members amps.  They are constantly striving to improve their offerings, and have expanded the capabilities of the amp itself.  I started out rolling 9 pin tubes, they made an adapter to roll, 6SN7 tubes, tried them, then the adapter for the dual 7193 tubes, and now I am using the the dual  6J6SGT adapter with the St bottles and this so far is the best I have heard from this amp.  Would like to try an hdvd800 sometime but doubt it would scale the 650's higher to make the Ember go away considering the price differencial.  Garage 1217 warranty is five years, generous I would say.So would an amp 4 times the price of the Ember be four times better?  That is a question that, I for one would say no to.  I have considered upgrading,(who hasn't) but after research just getting ready to pull the trigger, they come out with more possiblilites for the Ember, I try them and forget spending all that money, when this keeps me content. YMMV of course.  If I had the funds to buy the new Senns HE 1060 I would in a heart beat.  But there again, would that be a 10 times better sounding amp?  Doubt that. Love the look of it though.

How can you disagree that I've had bad luck with small companies? It's a fact, I have.
Obviously I don't need convincing that more expensive isn't always better. My top phones of choice are Senn 650 and 700 even though I could afford any other phone (except Orpheus 2).

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #30,620 of 46,564

I think @donlin just had some bad experience with small companies, while yours might be good. It's just different person experience.

My personal experience with the small companies thus far is also not very good. The Schiit Modi+Vali stack that I have does not sound as good as my iMac -> Sony CMT-BX20i bookshelf system. Possible reason can be that the DAC inside a Mac might be quite good (as lots of people mentioned it), and the T-amp inside the Sony bookshelf system might also be a high performance/price amp. Anyway when I plug my HD650 directly into the phone jack on my Sony bookshelf, it sounds better than Modi+Vali. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #30,621 of 46,564
I think @donlin
 just had some bad experience with small companies, while yours might be good. It's just different person experience.

My personal experience with the small companies thus far is also not very good. The Schiit Modi+Vali stack that I have does not sound as good as my iMac -> Sony CMT-BX20i bookshelf system. Possible reason can be that the DAC inside a Mac might be quite good (as lots of people mentioned it), and the T-amp inside the Sony bookshelf system might also be a high performance/price amp. Anyway when I plug my HD650 directly into the phone jack on my Sony bookshelf, it sounds better than Modi+Vali. 

Thanks for the support. I'm with you on your view of Schiit gear. Just for the record though, my comments were not directed toward bottle head or ember which I have no experience with. I could be wrong but I think they both sell kits and building a kit just isn't for me.

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #30,622 of 46,564
Well I'm late to this party but I'm glad I came! Came home from work today to find my new HD650 waiting for me.  Got it for $300 on sale from Adorama last week.

My reference is HE-500 and ZMF Blackwood.  Using Modi 2 -> Project Polaris.  Playing FLAC files of various genres.

I know 12 years after it's release I'm not going to say anything that hasn't already been said.  But damn.  So far I'm really impressed. 

Very different presentation compared to the planar magnetics I own.  Going to wait for new toy syndrome to wear off before I make comparative judgements.  But... Damn.  Really happy right now
beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #30,624 of 46,564
Wish I had seen that last week. Does Adorama put them on sale often?

I'm not sure if Adorama consistently has good deals on the HD650 specifically, but it seems like they are oftentimes mentioned in the deals thread for various headphones.

FWIW they shipped my order out next business day, 3 day UPS shipping at no charge, no taxes either.  So I'm happy about that.  I feel like they could have cushioned the item in the package a bit better but hey nothing was damaged so I'm not mad.  Recommended.

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #30,625 of 46,564
Thanks for the support. I'm with you on your view of Schiit gear. Just for the record though, my comments were not directed toward bottle head or ember which I have no experience with. I could be wrong but I think they both sell kits and building a kit just isn't for me.

I also found Schiit gear disappointing sonically as I found them sterile sounding, haven't had issues reliability wise though. Garage1217 amps can be bought pre-made from the company, I don't think the Bottle Head ones can(though I believe they used to). Agree that it's usually best to stick with well established companies in terms of gear. I've had mixed luck with small companies personally. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #30,626 of 46,564
I
I'm not sure if Adorama consistently has good deals on the HD650 specifically, but it seems like they are oftentimes mentioned in the deals thread for various headphones.

FWIW they shipped my order out next business day, 3 day UPS shipping at no charge, no taxes either.  So I'm happy about that.  I feel like they could have cushioned the item in the package a bit better but hey nothing was damaged so I'm not mad.  Recommended.

Thanks, I will keep a lookout. I have purchased photography equipment from Adorama and was pleased with the experience so am comfortable purchasing from them.

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #30,627 of 46,564
  A very thoughtful and intelligent approach to Hi Fi, one in which I share with you.  I read so much here and on other forums about how much others agonize over tiny details and are constantly switching components almost as often as they change their underwear. They've turned playing with the gear itself into it's own hobby. Each to their own I guess, whatever makes them happy but they seem so involved in playing with the gear sometimes I wonder when they have time to just listen to and enjoy the music?

Sal

This is a good statement too. Didnt saw it before.  

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #30,628 of 46,564
Well I'm late to this party but I'm glad I came! Came home from work today to find my new HD650 waiting for me.  Got it for $300 on sale from Adorama last week.

My reference is HE-500 and ZMF Blackwood.  Using Modi 2 -> Project Polaris.  Playing FLAC files of various genres.

I know 12 years after it's release I'm not going to say anything that hasn't already been said.  But damn.  So far I'm really impressed. 

Very different presentation compared to the planar magnetics I own.  Going to wait for new toy syndrome to wear off before I make comparative judgements.  But... Damn.  Really happy right now :beerchug:

Oh man, coming from the HE-500 your going to love the HD650's. Have fun!

Nov 25, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #30,629 of 46,564

Sal

This is a good statement too. Didnt saw it before.  

I see that as another hobby. I can be the happiest little kitten, listening to one single song for a week straight at times, but I have a few buddies who will try to listen to 2 or 3 new albums every day. a little like one would do with movies, you see it once and move on.
I suspect it's the same with gears, some get a real pleasure out of trying many different gears and getting new experiences all the time. it's not my thing, but I'm sure it's mighty fun for some.
as long as it's not the casual lost lamb with too much expectations, jumping from one disappointment to the next. I wish that one to nobody(ok maybe a very short list of people I don't like. and that's it!) ^_^

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #30,630 of 46,564

I see that as another hobby. I can be the happiest little kitten, listening to one single song for a week straight at times, but I have a few buddies who will try to listen to 2 or 3 new albums every day. a little like one would do with movies, you see it once and move on.
I suspect it's the same with gears, some get a real pleasure out of trying many different gears and getting new experiences all the time. it's not my thing, but I'm sure it's mighty fun for some.
as long as it's not the casual lost lamb with too much expectations, jumping from one disappointment to the next. I wish that one to nobody(ok maybe a very short list of people I don't like. and that's it!) ^_^

I have a friend who buys new and used gear all the time, fits your description of enjoying different gear.  When I visited him a few months ago he had a few headphones, amps and DACs in un-open boxes, so I was the lucky one to open them up and try them out.  He is wealthy enough that spending $5-10K a month on this hobby does not faze him but as he said, he doesn't get to spend all the time he wants so he buys a lot of stuff to have on hand when he does get some free time.  I lucked out as one of the boxes had a used SR-009 and SRM-007 in them that he gave to me, said he got a great deal so he couldn't pass them up, in return I'm going to build him a BH Crack for when he comes to Hawaii on his next golf trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back