Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #30,166 of 46,565

What's wrong with USB powered DAC's?

Well mainly they are at the mercy of the power supply of the laptop or PC. If it's a good well regulated supply you should be OK, if not the voltage to the DAC can vary depending on how much of a load the Laptop is under. Lord knows what audible effects there could be if the USB voltage is being modulated by the varying activities of the Laptop.
Just about any amp will in part be judged by the size and quality of it's power supply, it all begins there. Would you be more comfortable having your DAC/HP Amp powered by the wall wart that powers the whole laptop at the same time or would you rather have a power supply for the DAC/HP Amp only that looks like this.

As for my comment on battery power, your probably better off with batteries than USB power, at least the voltage won't be affected by anything else besides the DAC-HP Amps own load.  But I still feel the larger and better regulated the power supply is the better off you be in the long run. Just MHO and lots of possible variables involved too.

I agree with having a very nice power plant in your units.

You want to be able to handle the voltage swings in a high impedance headphone.   
smile.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #30,168 of 46,565
  Well mainly they are at the mercy of the power supply of the laptop or PC. If it's a good well regulated supply you should be OK, if not the voltage to the DAC can vary depending on how much of a load the Laptop is under. Lord knows what audible effects there could be if the USB voltage is being modulated by the varying activities of the Laptop.
Just about any amp will in part be judged by the size and quality of it's power supply, it all begins there. Would you be more comfortable having your DAC/HP Amp powered by the wall wart that powers the whole laptop at the same time or would you rather have a power supply for the DAC/HP Amp only that looks like this.

I agree with much of this +1.  I often underestimated the importance of internal power routing (separate isolated internal power supplies for analog and digital sections of DACs) and the noise characteristics of power supplies inside gear like amps and DACs. In a nutshell, inter-component transmission of noise from internal power supplies can add noise to your system by spreading from unit to unit. The AC from the wall hits your internal power transformer, which converts it to DC. That conversion process requires a bunch of diodes that switch quickly, generating a certain amt of noise. That noise can then spread to other gear and to your signal lines. As an aside, this fact negates any benefits of shielded power cables from the wall/power strip/conditioner. Inter-component spread of noise generated from within components will happen regardless of whether the power cables are shielded or not.  As long as the interconnects are shielded, you're fine. Anyways, ideally, a digital player  should have no background tasks running, no fans, nothing. Computers compromise that to different degrees. A dedicated soundcard like a Juli@ that's modded for very low noise would sound very good out of a fan-less dedicated player. That's something that Bryston has done extremely well with their BDP-1/BDP-2 units.

cheers, coffee time here.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #30,169 of 46,565

@c-flyer, G1217 does great work for sure. Very small op, I hope they make a killing! Really well-designed amps at really sane prices. 

cheers

Ok, you guys conversation is throwing me for a loop
confused_face_2.gif

Maestro are you two talking about the Polaris and Ember found at garage 1217?
If not your talking about the Ayon Polaris?
I would not mind buying the Ember II look interesting.
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #30,173 of 46,565
  I know there are several Cowboy Junkies fans on here, and I need to be talked into this box set...

http://www.hdtracks.com/notes-falling-slow

(I promise to listen to this with my HD650s)

I'm not a big fan of hi-res, and for the CJs, especially. But I bought this Live album a while back, and I like it.

http://www.amazon.ca/200-More-Miles-Cowboy-Junkies/dp/B000024KWC/ref=sr_1_15?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1446214649&sr=1-15&keywords=cowboy+junkies

51MkVJbpkVL._SX355_.jpg

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #30,174 of 46,565
  I know there are several Cowboy Junkies fans on here, and I need to be talked into this box set...

That link doesn't work & I can't find any reference to it on the HDTracks site. I've not heard any of the three albums in the box but everything else I have by them is wonderful.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #30,175 of 46,565

Have you listened to Cowboy Junkies before? I only ask because up until a couple of months ago they were a band I'd heard of but for some reason never actually listened to. When I finally got around to it they blew me away. The Trinity Session is good, as is The Wilderness and Caution Horses. The latter is on just about constant repeat right now.

Also, their music is incredibly well suited to the laid back HD 650, particularly with valves.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #30,176 of 46,565

Have you listened to Cowboy Junkies before? I only ask because up until a couple of months ago they were a band I'd heard of but for some reason never actually listened to. When I finally got around to it they blew me away. The Trinity Session is good, as is The Wilderness and Caution Horses. The latter is on just about constant repeat right now.

Also, their music is incredibly well suited to the laid back HD 650, particularly with valves.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you.  I was aware of them, but just now stating to think I would enjoy them.  I bet HDTracks have international limitations.  I was just curious about this new release...

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #30,177 of 46,565

I'm kinda in the same boat as you.  I was aware of them, but just now stating to think I would enjoy them.  I bet HDTracks have international limitations.  I was just curious about this new release...

when they first came out saw them on "Tonight Show,Jay Leno" I knew they would appeal to some folks
The box set on Amazon for about $17 dollars.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015E735X2?keywords=Cowboy%20Junkies&qid=1446216389&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back