Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #22,816 of 46,535
Feb 10, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #22,820 of 46,535
I have finally heard what people mean when they describe the HD650 as a "laid back" headphone. I thought this description referred to how they are not overly bright and therefore not fatiguing on the ears. However, when listening to Angel by Massive attack it can clearly be heard. The thud of the kick drum is slow and wooly sounding and the snare snap which follows lacks bite. It's these two elements, which through my other headphones (eg Grados), really drive the song. I still love my HD650'S but its sad to discover their weaknesses...maybe I should upgrade my amp to compensate haha:smiling_imp:

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #22,821 of 46,535
  For the HD650, I had to sleep on'em before I really started to like their sound. It wasn't driver burn-in, it was my brain getting used to that new sound.

I always burn-in ALL of my audio equipment, including amps, speakers, cables, headphones...and so on.  I usually give an "out-of-the-box" component a brief listen (to get that new toy excitement out of my system) but then simply run the component on a continuous loop for 2-3 days, occasionally listening during the burn-in period.  Thereafter to my ears I find (generally) that the initial harshness is smoothed out and is less strained sounding.  For the most part, with 1 exception (FiiO E11K), the changes are very subtle.

Why bother burning a component in?  Very simple, why not?

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #22,822 of 46,535
  I always burn-in ALL of my audio equipment, including amps, speakers, cables, headphones...and so on.  I usually give an "out-of-the-box" component a brief listen (to get that new toy excitement out of my system) but then simply run the component on a continuous loop for 2-3 days, occasionally listening during the burn-in period.  Thereafter to my ears I find (generally) that the initial harshness is smoothed out and is less strained sounding.  For the most part, with 1 exception (FiiO E11K), the changes are very subtle.

Why not?  How about a waste of time and energy.

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #22,823 of 46,535
Well sorry you're unsubscribing, but I really enjoy the thread regardless. Lots of cool people here with great opinions. I love the mix and variety of what people enjoy, and I think it should be a free forum for people to discuss what they're passionate about. We can also have differing opinions and keep our egos in check. We all enjoy the music
smily_headphones1.gif

I enjoy reading the threads while listening to my headphones.

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #22,826 of 46,535

I often just listening to my gear as it burns-in personally. Though it is interesting to see the changes out of the box and a few days later if there are any noticeable changes, really depends on the gear though. Sometimes burn-in has even been negative in my experience.

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #22,827 of 46,535
Feb 10, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #22,828 of 46,535
So i deicided to pull the trigger, should arrive by the weekend
bigsmile_face.gif

I've been looking for an amp. I will drive them through the computer (MBP).  Any opinions on the Fiio E10k?  

I've also looked at more expensive amps (LD mk2, maybe schiit), but since neither of those options include a DAC, then it would be another 100 USD. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #22,829 of 46,535
Isn't that called "the end of the honeymoon period?" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sometimes, but not necessarily. There was only two times I could say it wasn't the case in terms of honeymoon period and it was with the same model headphone that I owned twice, the AKG K240, the things progressively got harsher over a period of a week or two. Never experienced anything quite like it on any other headphone. It could simply be pad and foam break-in causing it though, but both times the headphones became harsher with time. Other headphones I owned never really changed much if any in harshness. Usually after the honeymoon period I simply grow bored or annoyed with the sound signature but I noticed the annoyances and flaws(i.e. peaky treble) to begin with but rather adjusted to it and then get annoyed with the flaws later on, the K240s were the only headphone I owned where this wasn't the case, they simply got rougher sounding.

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #22,830 of 46,535
Sometimes, but not necessarily. There was only two times I could say it wasn't the case in terms of honeymoon period and it was with the same model headphone that I owned twice, the AKG K240, the things progressively got harsher over a period of a week or two. Never experienced anything quite like it on any other headphone. It could simply be pad and foam break-in causing it though, but both times the headphones became harsher with time. Other headphones I owned never really changed much if any in harshness. Usually after the honeymoon period I simply grow bored or annoyed with the sound signature but I noticed the annoyances and flaws(i.e. peaky treble) to begin with but rather adjusted to it and then get annoyed with the flaws later on, the K240s were the only headphone I owned where this wasn't the case, they simply got rougher sounding.

I know, I was just teasing.
For me, I haven't notice changing in sound signature with burn in. I either like them or not, or I slowely adjust to them. Not saying burn in doesn't exist, I often wonder how much of a change we are talking here. I can see how pads breaking in can affect the sound signature. Maybe I don't have hearing as good as others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back