Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #22,052 of 46,564
My budget for an amp would be $500 and under but the reason why i chose the odac/o2 is because of the dac being included but i'd love to make sure i do the hd650 some justice i have read that tube amps are better for these headphones although my issues is if i were to buy setup and build the bottlehead crack how would i connect it to my iphone 5s? Also do i need to get a dac too or should i be good? Otherwise im all in for whatever will help the hd650 in that price range.

I will assume you haven't read the previous 10 million posts 
wink.gif

I don't have either of these setups, but 99% of the folks here would recommend either the odac/o2 setup (as you mention above) or one of the modi/magni or modi/vali setups from Schiit. All are within your budget and all, I'm sure, will sound fantastic.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #22,053 of 46,564
I will assume you haven't read the previous 10 million posts :wink:

I don't have either of these setups, but 99% of the folks here would recommend either the odac/o2 setup (as you mention above) or one of the modi/magni or modi/vali setups from Schiit. All are within your budget and all, I'm sure, will sound fantastic.

Yes i am quite the noob you could say but im loving this website so far but im all confused now lol so bottlehead or the o2?

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #22,054 of 46,564
Yes i am quite the noob you could say but im loving this website so far but im all confused now lol so bottlehead or the o2?

How hard do you want to work at it? The o2/odac is plug-and-play, don't you think? I have learned in this hobby to walk before trying to run and I needed to discover my own tastes and learn to appreciate the difference, before scaling up my spend.
That's my advice, but feel free to spend like a drunk sailor, like the rest of us 
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #22,055 of 46,564
How hard do you want to work at it? The o2/odac is plug-and-play, don't you think? I have learned in this hobby to walk before trying to run and I needed to discover my own tastes and learn to appreciate the difference, before scaling up my spend.
That's my advice, but feel free to spend like a drunk sailor, like the rest of us :beerchug:  

You're advice is quite true and wise i agree. I just want to make sure im happy with my hd 650. Tell me considering i am new would it be fine for me just to settle with the odac or just get the crackhead? I am quite the computer geek but i dont think that will help me with building a crackhead. I love getting opinions and suggestions from others what do you think? Also is a crackhead just an amp?

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #22,056 of 46,564
My budget for an amp would be $500 and under but the reason why i chose the odac/o2 is because of the dac being included but i'd love to make sure i do the hd650 some justice i have read that tube amps are better for these headphones although my issues is if i were to buy setup and build the bottlehead crack how would i connect it to my iphone 5s? Also do i need to get a dac too or should i be good? Otherwise im all in for whatever will help the hd650 in that price range.

Wait, if you are getting the HD 650's brand new that will cost you around $350. Crack costs $300 w/o Speedball Upgrade (I do not recommend buying the Speedball yet unless you have the money). IMO the difference is negligible, but others would disagree. So that will cost you +/- $650 right there.

Some notes about the Crack: You will need to learn how to solder, have lots of patience (takes more than a day to build), and be very neat. You can get others to do build it for you but they will charge a fee. I can do this for you for cheap as I like doing this kind of stuff and have a lot of free time. I can also add a few upgrades if you like. 
biggrin.gif

You will not need a DAC for the Crack. Not sure if many people actually get a DAC after hearing the Crack + HD 650's. All you will need to connect the Crack to your iPhone is with a 3.5 mm to 2 RCA stereo cable. This is the one that I bought. It's only 3 ft so you may consider getting a longer one depending on your preference. My Crack is connected to my desktop so I don't really need a longer cable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESM3EIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, if you want the best audio quality, the source matters. The iPhone 5 can only deliver 320 kbps or less. If you listen to music directly from the CD you will notice a big difference. I think Youtube 1080p can deliver higher quality than 320 kpbs but I'm not sure. My suggestion is to listen strictly to 320 kbps or FLAC as those would give you the best possible listening experience. 

Before you jump into the HD 650's, I would still highly recommend listening to different pairs of headphones around that price range. I cannot stress that enough. Try to see if you could hear the Crack and HD 650's together if possible. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

James

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #22,057 of 46,564
I play a lot of Deadmau5 and Infected Mushroom. Imo, the bass is perfect for this type of music. Jazz is quite stunning on them. Source is definitely a factor though.
I will definitely have to try the hd650 first just to be positive but when it comes to bass i wouldn't mind at all if it the bass was less than my sennheiser momentums over ear. I just want to atleast be able to hear and know the bass is there. Also these are good for jazz?? Man i know im going to have a blast with these then haha! Looks like ill have to just wait and see if the hd650 is good with dubstep even if it isnt though ill definitely be keeping them to hear different genres of music as scjarrett said. Thanks for the input.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #22,058 of 46,564
Wait, if you are getting the HD 650's brand new that will cost you around $350. Crack costs $300 w/o Speedball Upgrade (I do not recommend buying the Speedball yet unless you have the money). IMO the difference is negligible, but others would disagree. So that will cost you +/- $650 right there.

Some notes about the Crack: You will need to learn how to solder, have lots of patience (takes more than a day to build), and be very neat. You can get others to do build it for you but they will charge a fee. I can do this for you for cheap as I like doing this kind of stuff and have a lot of free time. I can also add a few upgrades if you like. :D

You will not need a DAC for the Crack. Not sure if many people actually get a DAC after hearing the Crack + HD 650's. All you will need to connect the Crack to your iPhone is with a 3.5 mm to 2 RCA stereo cable. This is the one that I bought. It's only 3 ft so you may consider getting a longer one depending on your preference. My Crack is connected to my desktop so I don't really need a longer cable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESM3EIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, if you want the best audio quality, the source matters. The iPhone 5 can only deliver 320 kbps or less. If you listen to music directly from the CD you will notice a big difference. I think Youtube 1080p can deliver higher quality than 320 kpbs but I'm not sure. My suggestion is to listen strictly to 320 kbps or FLAC as those would give you the best possible listening experience. 

Before you jump into the HD 650's, I would still highly recommend listening to different pairs of headphones around that price range. I cannot stress that enough. Try to see if you could hear the Crack and HD 650's together if possible. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

James

Oh no my budget is JUST for the amp lol the headphones im not including the budget is just for the amp. But before anything im doing alot of reading on all of these first before i throw my wallet lol.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #22,059 of 46,564
You're advice is quite true and wise i agree. I just want to make sure im happy with my hd 650. Tell me considering i am new would it be fine for me just to settle with the odac or just get the crackhead? I am quite the computer geek but i dont think that will help me with building a crackhead. I love getting opinions and suggestions from others what do you think? Also is a crackhead just an amp?

I never learned how to solder before building the Crack so if I could do it you can as well. The thing I forgot to mention is that you'll need a few tools. Solder, solder wire, wire strippers, small wire cutters, and a desoldering tool. But as I said I can build it for you for a small charge.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #22,061 of 46,564
From what I've read. The Crack seems to be all the rage for these phones. I'm extremely happy with my Valhalla, which I picked up used for $200. Although I did upgrade my stock tubes to Voskhod 75 SWPG Silver HG.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #22,063 of 46,564
Oh no my budget is JUST for the amp lol the headphones im not including the budget is just for the amp. But before anything im doing alot of reading on all of these first before i throw my wallet lol.

Oh well that makes it a lot easier. Then for that price then the Crack+Speedball would be an excellent amp for your HD 650's. I have not heard any other amp besides the OD/ODAC so I cannot compare Schiit or Woo Audio's with the Crack. I can definitely tell you that the O2/ODAC is many steps beneath the Crack. The thing about the Crack like I said is that it is highly mod-able and upgrade-able which will allow you to take it to new heights as I have done. With all the mods that I've done I feel like I'm listening to a new pair of headphones, and they sound fantastic. 
biggrin.gif

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back