Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #22,036 of 46,564
I will definitely have to try the hd650 first just to be positive but when it comes to bass i wouldn't mind at all if it the bass was less than my sennheiser momentums over ear. I just want to atleast be able to hear and know the bass is there. Also these are good for jazz?? Man i know im going to have a blast with these then haha! Looks like ill have to just wait and see if the hd650 is good with dubstep even if it isnt though ill definitely be keeping them to hear different genres of music as scjarrett said. Thanks for the input.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #22,038 of 46,564
I will definitely have to try the hd650 first just to be positive but when it comes to bass i wouldn't mind at all if it the bass was less than my sennheiser momentums over ear. I just want to atleast be able to hear and know the bass is there. Also these are good for jazz?? Man i know im going to have a blast with these then haha! Looks like ill have to just wait and see if the hd650 is good with dubstep even if it isnt though ill definitely be keeping them to hear different genres of music as scjarrett said. Thanks for the input.

I listen to a lot of acoustic, small group jazz and they are extremely good. No glassy piano and solid bass and drums.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #22,039 of 46,564
I don't listen to hip-hop or dub-step (that I know of, lol) but I do listen to quite a bit of downtempo and ambient electronic music, and I really enjoy the way they sound on the HD650. Some electronic can get fatiguing with the treble bleeps and splashes and such, and the HD650 "polarized sunglasses" filter cuts down that glare nicely.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #22,040 of 46,564
I don't listen to hip-hop or dub-step (that I know of, lol) but I do listen to quite a bit of downtempo and ambient electronic music, and I really enjoy the way they sound on the HD650. Some electronic can get fatiguing with the treble bleeps and splashes and such, and the HD650 "polarized sunglasses" filter cuts down that glare nicely.

To be honest, I don't even know what dub-step is.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #22,043 of 46,564

Hehe nice one teofilrocks. Yes indeed, that is another thing worth mentioning. The HD 650's are so non-fatiguing that you won't get tired from hearing them over an extended listening session. The trebles and hi's don't hurt your ears like other headphones so it's alright to listen to high levels without it hurting your ears (although I do not recommend listening at extremely high levels). 

You also asked if it sounds good with jazz. Oh yes. In fact, I'm listening to Freddie Freeloader right now and it just sounds incredible! Is that Miles playing right next to me? 
atsmile.gif

James

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #22,045 of 46,564
Hehe nice one teofilrocks. Yes indeed, that is another thing worth mentioning. The HD 650's are so non-fatiguing that you won't get tired from hearing them over an extended listening session. The trebles and hi's don't hurt your ears like other headphones so it's alright to listen to high levels without it hurting your ears (although I do not recommend listening at extremely high levels). 

You also asked if it sounds good with jazz. Oh yes. In fact, I'm listening to Freddie Freeloader right now and it just sounds incredible! Is that Miles playing right next to me? :atsmile:

James

i just looked that song up on Youtube it sounds great just using my momentums and an iphone 5s as a source cant imagine what the experience your having!

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #22,047 of 46,564
  Is the HD650 bass more noticeable/louder than HD558's? I know it will be more controlled, and tighter. The HD600's just have zilch.

What are you powering the HD 600 with? I get quite a bit of bass out of my HD 600, but the HD 650 does have a bit more bass and better extension. The biggest difference I found is that the HD 650 sounds cleaner and clearer than the HD 600 though at least when both are well amped. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #22,048 of 46,564

To each his own... I was listening to Ben Frost's A U R O R A today and switched to Grado to feel the full impact of his new release (which is generating a lot of buzz on the Inter-Webs). I have to admit, however, my first listen was painful (think: fingernails on a chalkboard). For me, It was worth sticking out to experience, but man, it's an audio tour de force.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #22,049 of 46,564
i just looked that song up on Youtube it sounds great just using my momentums and an iphone 5s as a source cant imagine what the experience your having!

Just curious, do you have a budget for your Headphone/Amp? Just to let you know I had the O2/ODAC before and compared with the Bottlehead Crack Amp, the latter just matches so much better with the HD 650's. It's cost is $400 (including speedball upgrade). Fellow head-fier's will concur that the Crack and HD 650 are the best combo for its price range. It's also upgrade-able and mod-able that could take you to higher levels of audio pleasure. If you are really interested in this amp let me know, I'll be happy to assist you in building one as it is a DIY amp and I know some really great upgrades that would make your HD 650's just sound incredible. 

James

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #22,050 of 46,564
My budget for an amp would be $500 and under but the reason why i chose the odac/o2 is because of the dac being included but i'd love to make sure i do the hd650 some justice i have read that tube amps are better for these headphones although my issues is if i were to buy setup and build the bottlehead crack how would i connect it to my iphone 5s? Also do i need to get a dac too or should i be good? Otherwise im all in for whatever will help the hd650 in that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back