Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #21,152 of 46,533
  I think the amp requirements for these headphones is way overstated. I don't have a 650 but from the specs the sensitivity is over 100 db/mW. I have a 600 and the sensitivity is 97 db/mW so it's even less sensitive than the 650. Even still, I can plug these into my laptop and at Windows volume 20% it's more than loud enough.

Currently using a E10K. I'd be more than happy to get an O2 or Magni if someone can prove that it improves the sound but I don't understand how. I think it's placebo...

The HD650 scales very well, most of us here I suspect have at some point thought the same thing.

Volume isn't everything.  Try the O2 or Bottlehead Crack, Project Ember, Torpedo etc and see for yourself, keep a open mind and you may well be in for a pleasant surprise at what the HD650's can deliver.

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #21,153 of 46,533
  I think the amp requirements for these headphones is way overstated. I don't have a 650 but from the specs the sensitivity is over 100 db/mW. I have a 600 and the sensitivity is 97 db/mW so it's even less sensitive than the 650. Even still, I can plug these into my laptop and at Windows volume 20% it's more than loud enough.

Currently using a E10K. I'd be more than happy to get an O2 or Magni if someone can prove that it improves the sound but I don't understand how. I think it's placebo...

Since they're your ears, you're the only one who can really prove or disprove it in the end. I got my Magni before I had the HD650, when I was trying to power my 600-ohm Beyer DT770s. Having an amp really did help fill in the bass. With the HD650, I don't find the change as significant. Comparing my setup vs straight out of my iMac, the most notable difference is a smoother treble, which could be the amp or the Wyrd/Modi.

Edit: I should say there can be other slight differences if I listen critically, but I try not to. I listen to enjoy, not critque, and the thing I notice easily and enjoy after my quick test just now is the smoother treble.

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #21,155 of 46,533
Alright I was wondering because I hear that the Fiio E12A was very close to the O2 in terms of transparency and SQ, and the Cayin C5 is equivalent to the E12A but with substantially more power and better soundstage.

I think it's unlikely that those portable amps are as transparent as the O2 but whether the difference is audible I have no idea. I also own the Fiio E18 and whilst it does technically have enough power for the 650's I have to say the sound is quite a bit different. The E18 sounds more exciting I suppose but it's not so good when it comes to subtle details like room acoustics.

To be perfectly honest though there's not a lot in it either way. If you think you might want to use the amp in a portable context as well then I'd probably go for the E12 or Cayin. If it's just going to be sitting on a desk or shelve I'd go with the O2 or Schiit or another of the many desktop options. Get used to the headphones first though because otherwise you'll be chasing your tail forever.

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #21,156 of 46,533
I think it's unlikely that those portable amps are as transparent as the O2 but whether the difference is audible I have no idea. I also own the Fiio E18 and whilst it does technically have enough power for the 650's I have to say the sound is quite a bit different. The E18 sounds more exciting I suppose but it's not so good when it comes to subtle details like room acoustics.

To be perfectly honest though there's not a lot in it either way. If you think you might want to use the amp in a portable context as well then I'd probably go for the E12 or Cayin. If it's just going to be sitting on a desk or shelve I'd go with the O2 or Schiit or another of the many desktop options. Get used to the headphones first though because otherwise you'll be chasing your tail forever.

Well it's been said that the Fiio E18 is a level lower in terms of SQ quality compared to the regular E12. Besides that I mostly play music when laying in my bed, and I carry the amp over to my PS3 for gaming. I dont have a computer at the moment.

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #21,157 of 46,533

Dunno about AUDIO-GD but going balanced makes a quite big difference imo.

As a very quick question: does going balanced mean needing both a balanced DAC and a balanced amp?

I'll probably ask more once I get pass the "I now own a BHC" mark.

I have Both the CRACK and The SEX amp.I will skip the CRACK and get the SEX instead for the purpose of going Balanced without needing a balanced input.

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #21,158 of 46,533
I have Both the CRACK and The SEX amp.I will skip the CRACK and get the SEX instead for the purpose of going Balanced without needing a balanced input.

Silly question, but what's the point of having balanced output on a single ended input? Doesn't that negate the "balanced" part?

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #21,160 of 46,533
Well it's been said that the Fiio E18 is a level lower in terms of SQ quality compared to the regular E12. Besides that I mostly play music when laying in my bed, and I carry the amp over to my PS3 for gaming. I dont have a computer at the moment.

That's not what I've read. As far as I've seen most people comment that the E12 has more power than the E18 but power is not the sole arbiter of sound quality. Are you saying you don't have any amp at all right now and that whatever amp you buy is going to be used as a portable? If so then I'm not the best person to comment on portables as I've only heard the E18. It sounds excellent. Most portables, given that they output sufficient power, are likely to be equally good.

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #21,161 of 46,533
Brought my HD650 home from work tonight. My wife was still working on her computer listening to K-Pop. I had her try them on just for kicks and giggles, half expecting her to say, "that's cool" and immediately take them off, preferring her normal earbuds. But after hitting play, she got this big smile on her face. "Oh, wow. It's the same music but it sounds so different. Oh wow! You been hiding something good from me! Can I borrow them?" Of course, she doesn't want me to spend the money getting her a pair, she just wants to use mine, lol.

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #21,162 of 46,533
That's not what I've read. As far as I've seen most people comment that the E12 has more power than the E18 but power is not the sole arbiter of sound quality. Are you saying you don't have any amp at all right now and that whatever amp you buy is going to be used as a portable? If so then I'm not the best person to comment on portables as I've only heard the E18. It sounds excellent. Most portables, given that they output sufficient power, are likely to be equally good.

At the moment I have a Cayin C5 (well this one came from a bad batch so I'm returning it and I ordered a new one). From what I've heard, the Fiio E12 sounds better than the E18 purely as an amp. The E12 also has more power which gives better results with higher inpedence headphones such as the 650

You can learn more about this here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-13-11-amps-compared

Update: I've been looking more into this and apparently even the Fiio E11k is better sounding than the E18 purely as an amp, with more detail and brighter sound.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #21,163 of 46,533
Well, since your original question related to the O2 and I'm not trying to sell you an E18 I'm not sure what relevance there is in your post. Why are you linking me to a comparison of portable amps anyway? I'm not looking to buy anything.

Wait until you get the 650's and go from there.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #21,164 of 46,533
Well, since your original question related to the O2 and I'm not trying to sell you an E18 I'm not sure what relevance there is in your post. Why are you linking me to a comparison of portable amps anyway? I'm not looking to buy anything.

Wait until you get the 650's and go from there.

You mentioned the E12 and E18, I just added in what I've heard about them in terms of sound quality. I mentioned the E11k because like you said that the E18 sounds pretty decent with the 650, I believe the Cayin C5 will sound pretty good in that case. I linked you to the portable amp comparison in case you were interested in more info about this or wanted to know where I got most of my information from.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #21,165 of 46,533
i'm possibly considering getting another amp that is a solid state for my hd650. atm im using the darkvoice 336se with 5998 and tungsol 6f8g to power it. it sounds fantastic but at some point i just want to be rid of worries when my tubes die and i go off looking for more and spending more $$$ than i should. is the burson soloist SL a great consideration for the HD650 as a solid state amp around the $600 range? i have the ODAC for a dedicated DAC.

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back