Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 24, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #1,996 of 46,564
yup, that is where my HD650's came from. i paid the same price, plus 2day shipping. the whole transaction couldn't have went any more perfect.

Quote:
yeah, have you purchased through them? 

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #1,997 of 46,564
Glad to hear your first hand experience :) ... yeah i got mine standard shipping, i dont mind waiting, hoping also to get me headrooms desktop amp/dac, like the one i see you have! i've heard great reviews of the amp in use with the 650's

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #1,998 of 46,564
WOW! ordered the phones from the same guy, and will be pairing it with the same exact amp. nice!

the HeadRoom amp/dac is great and the combination is absolutely sick. if you like crossfeed and a warm sound you'll be in heaven. the crossfeed also adds a bit of extra bass, which can be good or bad depending on your preference, for me i love the increase in bass. i always have the crossfeed on. it's also a blessing to have the brightness switch, it can really brighten the HD650 up and it makes them a lot of fun. i always use brightness filter 1, otherwise they sound kinda flat IMO. it's not the most analytical and neutral amp, but it is a blast to listen to. the detail in the music is still definitely there and with the options available you can tweak the sound a bit to suit your needs. i've had the combination for about a month now and i am still just blown away. my speakers at home are definitely jealous, and so is my tv. instead of putting the TV on when i get home from work, now i put the headphones on instead.

i think you'll be happy with that setup. let us know how it goes.

Quote:
Glad to hear your first hand experience :) ... yeah i got mine standard shipping, i dont mind waiting, hoping also to get me headrooms desktop amp/dac, like the one i see you have! i've heard great reviews of the amp in use with the 650's

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #1,999 of 46,564

yeah! im very exited about my future set up! i do hear that the 650's are kinda dark, but to know that the amp can bring some brightness to them makes the deal even more sweet... sounds like it is a very dynamic and versatile amp... i can already see me spending hours a day during my vacations getting lost into my music, and "rediscover" a lot of my music! that's a testimony i hear often in these forums :) 
Quote:
WOW! ordered the phones from the same guy, and will be pairing it with the same exact amp. nice!

the HeadRoom amp/dac is great and the combination is absolutely sick. if you like crossfeed and a warm sound you'll be in heaven. the crossfeed also adds a bit of extra bass, which can be good or bad depending on your preference, for me i love the increase in bass. i always have the crossfeed on. it's also a blessing to have the brightness switch, it can really brighten the HD650 up and it makes them a lot of fun. i always use brightness filter 1, otherwise they sound kinda flat IMO. it's not the most analytical and neutral amp, but it is a blast to listen to. the detail in the music is still definitely there and with the options available you can tweak the sound a bit to suit your needs. i've had the combination for about a month now and i am still just blown away. my speakers at home are definitely jealous, and so is my tv. instead of putting the TV on when i get home from work, now i put the headphones on instead.

i think you'll be happy with that setup. let us know how it goes.

Quote:

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #2,000 of 46,564
yea, it has a switch that allows you to add more upper mid-range and more top end. filter 1 starts at 3k and slopes upwards, and filter 2 starts at 1.5k and slopes upwards. i think filter 1 combined with the crossfeed is pretty magical. filter 1 starts just early enough to add a nice amount of attack to percussion(drums). it helps the snare drum in rock and metal to smack you in the face a bit which i really like and helps with vocal clarity, especially female vocals. it doesn't add enough treble to bring on any sibilance or harshness, but just enough to add some attack, sparkle and air to the mix.

it is pretty versatile. the only problem i could possibly see would be with somebody who likes crossfeed, but doesn't like the extra warmth and bass that it adds along with it. i really like the extra warmth and bass myself, and the brightness filters help even things back out a bit.  i am loving the sound. it's very fun and engaging, but is still accurate enough and still very detailed. a person on the analytical side may find it a bit colored, but i enjoy it. i'd rather listen to the music than listen to the headphones. i prefer fun over analytical, but this is a good mix of both i think.

Quote:
yeah! im very exited about my future set up! i do hear that the 650's are kinda dark, but to know that the amp can bring some brightness to them makes the deal even more sweet... sounds like it is a very dynamic and versatile amp... i can already see me spending hours a day during my vacations getting lost into my music, and "rediscover" a lot of my music! that's a testimony i hear often in these forums :) 

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #2,001 of 46,564
Oh boy, Christmas is making the upgraditis bug strike again for me. I'm getting cash for Christmas this year and I'm being urged to spend it all on something I normally wouldn't buy for myself, yet I have no idea what to get! My first step away from the lower end might be coming soon...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #2,002 of 46,564
DT770 pro's and Alessandro MS-1's are low end?

Quote:
Oh boy, Christmas is making the upgraditis bug strike again for me. I'm getting cash for Christmas this year and I'm being urged to spend it all on something I normally wouldn't buy for myself, yet I have no idea what to get! My first step away from the lower end might be coming soon...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #2,003 of 46,564
Im there with you buddy, i definitely prefer to have fun with the phones, i want to have fun listening to my music, and i am a fan of having fast attack on the drums so that is great to know that the amp can add to that! im loving what im hearing! 

Quote:
yea, it has a switch that allows you to add more upper mid-range and more top end. filter 1 starts at 3k and slopes upwards, and filter 2 starts at 1.5k and slopes upwards. i think filter 1 combined with the crossfeed is pretty magical. filter 1 starts just early enough to add a nice amount of attack to percussion(drums). it helps the snare drum in rock and metal to smack you in the face a bit which i really like and helps with vocal clarity, especially female vocals. it doesn't add enough treble to bring on any sibilance or harshness, but just enough to add some attack, sparkle and air to the mix.

it is pretty versatile. the only problem i could possibly see would be with somebody who likes crossfeed, but doesn't like the extra warmth and bass that it adds along with it. i really like the extra warmth and bass myself, and the brightness filters help even things back out a bit.  i am loving the sound. it's very fun and engaging, but is still accurate enough and still very detailed. a person on the analytical side may find it a bit colored, but i enjoy it. i'd rather listen to the music than listen to the headphones. i prefer fun over analytical, but this is a good mix of both i think.

Quote:

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #2,005 of 46,564
oh, sorry. i was under the impression that the alessandro ms1's were more money. i'm not to familiar with grado's but for some reason i thought the alessandro was their version of the 225 or 325. my bad.

the dt770pro is a 200 dollar headphone though isn't it? that's what amazon has it at. the hd650 can be had for only $128 more.

Quote:
Well, lower. $99 to over $400 would be a big jump for me.

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #2,006 of 46,564
So, I've got the kids off to bed and helped the wife clean up after the Christmas Eve dinner, and I wanted to fiddle around with my headphones to relax.  I decided to pretend that I needed to get rid of one of my full-sized cans, so I took all four of them out and started listening to music in an attempt to find one to "kick off the island."

EPIC FAILURE.  HD650, K601, DT880, D2000... I love all of them and can't imagine getting rid of one.  I tried to weed one out, but I just couldn't.  Just when I thought I could do without the DT880, I listened to "Madhouse" by Anthrax and said, "Whoa!"  The K601 was getting pushed to the side when I spun up "Subculture" by New Order and started drooling.  I thought that maybe the HD650 didn't do anything to stand out, but then "Freewill" by Rush flew through my ears.  The D2000 was never really in any danger, being the best closed phone I own, and being the 'phone that has the most impactful low-end of the spectrum.  However, I twirled up a little XTC and "The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" to further remind me why I like them so much.

So, here I sit, still listening to the HD650 and enjoying everything about them.  Now, I am wondering which headphone to put on next, and wondering what song to play.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you!

Dec 25, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #2,008 of 46,564
Could you please link me to where HD650s are only $328? Thanks. $415 is the cheapest I see them for right now.

Quote:
oh, sorry. i was under the impression that the alessandro ms1's were more money. i'm not to familiar with grado's but for some reason i thought the alessandro was their version of the 225 or 325. my bad.

the dt770pro is a 200 dollar headphone though isn't it? that's what amazon has it at. the hd650 can be had for only $128 more.

Quote:
Well, lower. $99 to over $400 would be a big jump for me.

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #2,010 of 46,564
Been using the HD650 for over 3 months now and all this while using my PC as a source( awaiting delivery of the NFB-10ES). Even with a low end ampless source, they put a big smile on my face. People said they lacked top end sparkle and to me they were fine, or atleast thats what I thought until I got a replacement balanced cable from Zynsonix for the NFB-10. Holy s**t the trasformation is incomprehensible, to put it bluntly they have so much treble energy that they are borderline sibilant to my ears ( I thougth I would never say that ).
Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that HD650 NEED aftermarket cable. They turn these docile laid back headphones is to a monster ........ok overexaggeration here but you get the point. Can't stress enough how important cables are to these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back