Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #2,026 of 46,564
ohhh, trust me, i am sticking with my 650's for a looooooong time. i am still absolutely loving them. i have no desire to try any other headphones right now. i've only had this new setup a month, so any upgrades will be far far away.

Quote:
Don't do it dude. You seem as content with your setup as I am, so if you value your sanity and don't want to go into that dark realm of diminishing returns... just stay clear! We're safe here!
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #2,027 of 46,564
Hi all,

New to HD650, I used HD600 years ago. (I sold all HP gears)

My HD650 is different I heard before(Old HD650 from my friend), something improved.

I'm use Matrix Mini-i's amp, want to upgrade a compact balanced amp.

Any comments? I'm thinking LittleDot's MKVII+

Stock cable still not good enough, prepare to make a cable for HD650.

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #2,028 of 46,564

Quote:
Quote:
gotcha. i have no idea who he is and i don't visit the LCD2 threads. i may be to tempted to try them and i can't afford to.

Don't do it dude. You seem as content with your setup as I am, so if you value your sanity and don't want to go into that dark realm of diminishing returns... just stay clear! We're safe here!
wink.gif

Lol. Until the next poster who wants to try to assure us that 650s don't sound anything like music and that we're stuck in the dark ages if we don't move on to LCD-2s. I've found a logical defence though: I don't trust the LCD-2 mechanically, so every time I might be tempted I tell myself that no matter how good they sound, it will count for nothing if they fall to pieces in my hand, or the microphonic cord drives me crazy or the connecting plugs keep touching my shoulder. It works a treat.   
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #2,029 of 46,564
My logical defense is that the LCD-2s cost ~$600 more than the HD650s.

And that a rig worthy of the LCD-2s would cost, at the low-end, about $1K-2K.  Total cost: ~$2K-3K.  

Whereas with the HD650s where you can get set up at the low end for a cool $550-650.

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #2,031 of 46,564

Quote:
Does anyone who wears glasses with their HD650 have any comfort issues? Does it affect the sound in anyway when wearing glasses?

I find that the HD650 is pretty comfy with glasses because the pads are very soft and the velour doesn't cause annoying squeaking. There is no difference in sound quality.

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #2,033 of 46,564

Quote:
Does anyone who wears glasses with their HD650 have any comfort issues? Does it affect the sound in anyway when wearing glasses?

I wear glasses and have zero issue with the phones. I haven't noticed any sound difference with or without them but I haven't concentrated on it very hard. I just hear good sound. 

I keep reading the LCD-2 and HD650 comparison. They are both good and I enjoy the HD650 for what it is as I do the LCD-2. Maybe those who have issue aren't listening to the music. :^)

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #2,034 of 46,564
Got mine today...enjoying them so far thru an LDMKIII. gonna compare that to the Gilmore Lite tomorrow.

Warm and liquid are the words that come to mind after initial listen.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #2,036 of 46,564

wink.gif

I think the HD 650s really are a sweet spot for me. That said, LCD-2s will be coming sometime - hopefully I can hear them at a meet. My wallet trembles in trepidation (and apparently - alliteration).

I'll likely still cherish the HD 650s for the initiation to some semblance of what music is supposed to sound like, though. I wish I could gift these cans to everyone I know who enjoys music! Along with an amp!

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #2,037 of 46,564
I hope you got moon as well. I know I crapped on about earth initially but my preference has shifted considerably towards the more forward and warmer moon sound of late. Also, remember the long burn in time. Like I said, every Audio-GD owner will testify to this. Enjoy.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #2,038 of 46,564
How would you guys compare the HD600 to the HD650. Generally speaking, which can would be better for 90s hip hop and some electronic dance music, along with every other genre. Primarily hip hop and electronic dance music though.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #2,039 of 46,564
I haven't heard the HD600, so I can't comment on that, but the Hip-Hop I listen to on occasion (mainly Big Boi, Roots, Raekwon) sounds really good on my setup. Some of it can sound horrid though (Kanye, Cudi) but that's mainly due to the horrible brickwalled sound inherent in those recordings. Some will say the HD650 lacks bass for these genres but the sub bass in what I'm listening to at the moment (Big Boi's General Patton) says otherwise.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #2,040 of 46,564
Yeah I did the Moon OPA as well.  But Audio GD didn't mention the DIR9001 at all in my quote and now I'm concerned whether or not I did get it.  I don't remember being charged $22.50 extra for it as the website advertises.  So the Moon is forward?  How forward - Mids-forward?  

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back