Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #1,982 of 46,564
Nice. It should sound pretty good initially but keep in mind Audio-GD gear is notorious for long burn in times and it'll improve significantly after about 300 hours. Every Audio-GD owner will testify to this (I was a non believer too but I can't deny my experience). If you ordered any of the opamps I'd suggest you install one straight away instead of stock, that way the components burn in at the same time. Check out the Fun thread for more info.

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #1,983 of 46,564
I've had my set of 650's for a mere two days, and I'm also using the Audio-gd Fun as my DAC/AMP.  I've got an April 2010 revision A version of the Fun, and previously listened via Alessandro MS-1's, and Denon D2000's.  I have always enjoyed the MS-1's and use them almost daily for podcast (voice) listening, for music they are nice as well, but lack bass.  The Denon's are fun headphone, but are extremely bright, sibilant and in some cases just downright painful to listen to (for me at least).  The Bass however is awesome.  I've got all 3 DAC's for the Fun, but the WM8741 is the only one I'll use going forward, the need to solder it in doesn't facilitate going back to the others, but it's also the best of the 3 to my ear.

The 650's were simple to switch to, just releasing the gain button on the Fun allows for plenty of volume at the 9 o'clock volume setting. Some older more dynamic recordings need a bit more volume.  Out of the box the new 650's were a bit muffled, now I've got maybe 10 hours on them, and they sound fantastic.  Enough bass, nothing like the Denon's, but enough to satisfy, and it's a well defined bass.  The upper frequencies are very present, I did some A/B with the Denon's today, and they certainly are not as bright or sibilant, but the treble is well defined, I wouldn't call it rolled off at all.  These phones are a pleasure, comfortable, with an extremely smooth sound.  For me the Fun and HD 650 are an excellent pairing.  I haven't tried the Moon HDAM yet, but eventually I'll find time to do that.  For now the WM8741 with Earth is just excellent.  I've got some time off from work next week, and will get in some listening sessions.  I'm looking forward to it.

The only downside to all this is my USB input of the Fun no longer works, windows cannot detect the USB device.  It worked find up until Tuesday of this week.  I put in an order for the upgraded USB input with Mr. Kingwa before it stopped working.  I'm not sure if it was static discharge, or even a cable getting pulled, but it's won't work.  It's put a real crimp in my listening, as I usually use computer to USB as my source, for now I'm playing my audio cd's in my old CD player.  I got that player in 1992, and it's on it's last legs, it has difficulty tracking and skips from time to time. 

RonO

Dec 24, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #1,984 of 46,564
the "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" soundtrack sounds pretty sweet on these. this is the only classical music i can get into. this stuff is powerful, dynamic, and sort of dark. i'm likin it.

Dec 24, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #1,985 of 46,564
Nice writeup RonO, it's reassuring to hear someone else affirm the synergy I hear in my chain. I too have the WM8741 installed with my MacBook connected via optical. I've had my Fun since about September and have used the earth hdam exclusively with my MS-1i and ATH-M50. I've had moon since day one but always preferred earth's pristine clarity and airier soundstage and separation over moon's warmth and seemingly more congested signature (it wouldn't surprise me if moon was not properly burnt in until as recently as a few days ago).

Out of the box the HD650 sounded great with this configuration. There was good balance but I suspected that on less resolving gear I'd hear a muffled and veiled signature. I tried moon briefly but quickly dismissed it. I've reinstalled it and have since conceded the error of my ways. I can't explain what's occurred, perhaps the HD650 and moon both reached that magic burn in threshold or some other nonsense, but the congestion is gone and I now hear the transparency and depth of the earth hdam being matched, but with the added warmth and smoothness of the supposedly tube like signature of the moon hdam. This has just clicked the last few days and its clear to me that things have gone up a notch from my initial impressions.

I simply cannot fathom how people would describe these headphones as slow, boring and too laid back. Perhaps it's more evidence towards the belief that finding the right synergy in your gear is vital.

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #1,987 of 46,564
The Inception soundtrack is SICK! I can see myself really getting into this kind of stuff.

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #1,988 of 46,564
"Time" is one of the most profound tracks I have ever heard, even without the context of the movie.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #1,989 of 46,564
i've never seen the movie, and i still enjoyed the whole soundtrack.

Quote:
"Time" is one of the most profound tracks I have ever heard, even without the context of the movie.

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #1,990 of 46,564
I'll give the Moon another try next week.  The 650 is so different from my other phones, it's worth a listen, and besides, that why with the Fun you get the extra modules, so you can experiment.  Right now listening to London Calling by The Clash. Nice, Lush, so much separation of the instruments, and the nice vocal presentation.  I think I've got a stack of phones headed for the "for sale" forum.

Merry Christmas back to you as well!  Time for family I'll catch up in a few days.

RonO

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #1,992 of 46,564
was it razrdogdeals?

Quote:
I just recently ordered my 650's from a trusty ebay seller! for 328.00!! i hope i got a good deal! cant wait to get them babies in my hands! 

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #1,995 of 46,564
when i got home from work today, nobody was home, so i tried listening to my 2.1 system. maybe it's just because i'm used to my HD650's, but i wasn't liking what i was hearing. it sounded to boring and distant. it's not a bad setup by any means. it's a set of Infinity Alpha 50 towers ran off of a Yamaha RX-V2500(130wpc) and an Epik Sentinel subwoofer. it was tuned by me, with a measuring mic, laptop, and some RTA software. i remember it sounding good, i used to love it, but there is just no attack on percussion like there is with the HD650. i also listen to my car stereo everyday and i still like that, but of course it does sound a lot more forward and has better attack on percussion. i just like being smacked in the face with drums and my home system doesn't do it. at this point it seems like i'd prefer a near-field setup. maybe i can EQ my towers to gain some mid-range attack.

it's funny how our sound preferences change and how our ears get accustomed to a new sound.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back