Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 10, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #18,002 of 46,513
I will be transporting my HD650 between work and home. Was wondering if any of you have a headphone case, or could recommend one?

I bought the large "CASEBUDi" from Amazon. Fits perfect. I highly recommend it. $25 US.

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #18,006 of 46,513
Here's my babe with its younger sisters, IE800 and Momentum.

I own hd650 and momentum. I'm really interested in getting the ie800 but not sure if I will like its sound . I've got the impression it's very bassy and I find the hd650 about right in the bass but the momentum a bit much. How does it compare ? Also are the microphonics and issue? I would be using for long dog walks mainly .

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #18,009 of 46,513
I just received my 650's, which are my first pair of Sennheiser's, something I have been looking forward to for awhile after seeing all the praise here on Head-Fi. My immediate impression is that they sound great. I'm just using a cheap little SMSL that I just got, so not sure if I'm getting the full effect yet. Later tonight I'll try them at home on my Bifrost + Vali combo, and see how they sound there.

One thing I'm noticing right off the bat tho, if I have them actually sized to fit my head snugly, they REALLY hurt at the top of my head. I have to loosen it up a bit, which isn't really a problem, just surprised me how tight they can be when actually fit to size.

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #18,011 of 46,513
I own hd650 and momentum. I'm really interested in getting the ie800 but not sure if I will like its sound . I've got the impression it's very bassy and I find the hd650 about right in the bass but the momentum a bit much. How does it compare ? Also are the microphonics and issue? I would be using for long dog walks mainly .

I don't think it's very bassy. The sound signature is very similar to HD650s (rather than HD800 which is similar in name) and while it has plenty of bass, it never results in recessed mids or treble. The sound is very musical, engaging and fun, also very detailed and transparent. Like the HD650s, I can listen to them for hours without any  physical discomfort or ear fatigue. They are the most comfortable and best sounding IEMs I've tried. Also they look very cool. I'll say that though, if you don't like bass, you won't like IE800s. It's not that they are bassy but they aren't thin and analytical sounding. If you like HD650s, you'll like them 99%.

From home to work and back, I have a driver so I sit on the back of the car and listen to IE800s without moving at all myself. I didn't try listening to them whilst walking, at least not for more than 10 minutes, I don't enjoy music that way. However, some say IE800s have bad microphonics. While I haven't had such issue, I'm not the right person to answer that question as I didn't walk much whilst using them.

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #18,012 of 46,513
I just received my 650's, which are my first pair of Sennheiser's, something I have been looking forward to for awhile after seeing all the praise here on Head-Fi. My immediate impression is that they sound great. I'm just using a cheap little SMSL that I just got, so not sure if I'm getting the full effect yet. Later tonight I'll try them at home on my Bifrost + Vali combo, and see how they sound there.

One thing I'm noticing right off the bat tho, if I have them actually sized to fit my head snugly, they REALLY hurt at the top of my head. I have to loosen it up a bit, which isn't really a problem, just surprised me how tight they can be when actually fit to size.

I have pretty big head (please no jokes:smile:) and my 650's are extremely comfortable. It took about a month of use (2 hours a day) for them to loosen up, enjoy!

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #18,013 of 46,513
I have pretty big head (please no jokes:smile:) and my 650's are extremely comfortable. It took about a month of use (2 hours a day) for them to loosen up, enjoy!

They will loosen up with time. And yes, it takes about a month for the pads to compress and the headband to loosen up. Now are the most comfortable hp's that I've even worn. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #18,014 of 46,513

Give them some time (few days).

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #18,015 of 46,513
I just adjusted it up a bit, so the headband isn't quite resting on my head, but it feels fine and is still tight enough not to move around very much.

In other news, I'm listening to Fleetwood Mac 'Dreams', a song that I have listened to HUNDREDS of times before, and I'm noticing little things that I never heard before!! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back