Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #15,556 of 46,565
No, the best Schiit for the HD650 is the Mjolnir. :wink:

Does anyone own the MJ alongside the BH Crack? It's hard to fathom another amp providing any benefit over the MJ in driving the HD650. It's beyond the HD650's ceiling IMO.

I have the MJ and my good friend has the BHC.

In terms of musicality and euphonic sound... the BHC crack still wins out with unreal synergy... superior in all tonal sense for jazz, vocals, pop, etc. and plays to the HD 650's inherent strengths.

The MJ is indeed the best in the Schiit lineup for me... and yes... it does drive the HD650 with a level of authority that keeps it ohhhhh soooo clean. It is very resolving, and most accurate sounding setup for the 650 that I have heard. If there are those out there who want more clarity and less "veil" and "coloured" sound... the MJ + Gungnir does a very solid job. Going fully balanced though, the soundstage and imaging goes to a whole new level IMHO... it makes listening to more grand orchestral pieces like Beethoven's 5th and 6th a complete treat... it really brings out the sense of being in the concert hall.

With all the said... I am EAGERLY waiting for a group buy site (who's name I think I'm not allowed to mention here) to have the BHC + speedball available @ discount. When it does, you can be SURE that I will jump on that so I have the best of both worlds for the HD 650.

beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #15,557 of 46,565
Matt - did you hear the MJ fully balanced? Or was it only fed a s/e signal from the Bifrost?

It's interesting there are different schools here in terms of HD650 signature. It's already quite a warm and musical headphone but you have those chasing more warmth and added euphony and others wanting to maintain its inherent character.

Fwiw, I too find warmth and layering can really play to the HD650's strengths. It's why I was a big advocate of Orange Globes in the early days of Lyr tube rolling.

I agree with Eee Pee though that the MJ does not impart its own signature on the headphone and will present your source component and the transducer at the end of the chain as is. It's a pure amp in that sense. To my ears it's musically engaging as it just brings the headphone to optimal performance - then gets out of the way.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #15,558 of 46,565
Matt - did you hear the MJ fully balanced? Or was it only fed a s/e signal from the Bifrost?

It's interesting there are different schools here in terms of HD650 signature. It's already quite a warm and musical headphone but you have those chasing more warmth and added euphony and others wanting to maintain its inherent character.

Fwiw, I too find warmth and layering can really play to the HD650's strengths. It's why I was a big advocate of Orange Globes in the early days of Lyr tube rolling.

I agree with Eee Pee though that the MJ does not impart its own signature on the headphone and will present your source component and the transducer at the end of the chain as is. It's a pure amp in that sense. To my ears it's musically engaging as it just brings the headphone to optimal performance - then gets out of the way.

I heard the MJ fully balanced through the gungnir. I believe that you have effectively answered your own question. So often people here will try to sell the community on a perfect pairing and synergy ect including myself TBH. The truth is, like others, I get excited and giddy about a combination of gear and want to share my finding with others. 

Truthfully, it comes down to personal preferences and taste when and where audio bliss can be achieved. You may get all warmth and layering that you need personally to hit all the checkboxes on your list, while the MJ may be somewhat sterile and to clean for others. 

The 650 is an exceptional hp and there's more than one amp to deliver the goods with it. Both the MJ and the Crack are special with the 650 in their own way. It just depends on where your preferences lie. For me, the 650 crack curls my toes every time. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #15,559 of 46,565
I wasn't questioning (i.e. challenging) anything Matt. Just stating that I find it interesting that paths diverge in terms of what people want to hear from this headphone.

There are hundreds of pages discussing this topic in relation to the HD800. That headphone is more a blank canvas and responds far better to component matching than the HD650. It's understandable that you have two different groups in those threads, though people may not necessarily be aware of the distinction.

The HD650 already has its own unique voice yet there are those pushing it towards a certain flavour. Take a look at the LCD-2. That too has its own distinct voice, yet there aren't many that would push that headphone towards more warmth and musicality. The pursuit there would be to exert control over its bass region and to pin it to a neutral setup. It's interesting that HD650 owners choose to chase two different dragons.

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #15,560 of 46,565

I heard the MJ fully balanced through the gungnir. I believe that you have effectively answered your own question. So often people here will try to sell the community on a perfect pairing and synergy ect including myself TBH. The truth is, like others, I get excited and giddy about a combination of gear and want to share my finding with others. 

Truthfully, it comes down to personal preferences and taste when and where audio bliss can be achieved. You may get all warmth and layering that you need personally to hit all the checkboxes on your list, while the MJ may be somewhat sterile and to clean for others. 

The 650 is an exceptional hp and there's more than one amp t  o deliver the goods with it. Both the MJ and the Crack are special with the 650 in their own way. It just depends on where your preferences lie. For me, the 650 crack curls my toes every time. 

Matt, do you own the BHC or did you just get the opportunity to try it out somewhere/somehow ? 

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #15,561 of 46,565
  I wasn't questioning (i.e. challenging) anything Matt. Just stating that I find it interesting that paths diverge in terms of what people want to hear from this headphone.

There are hundreds of pages discussing this topic in relation to the HD800. That headphone is more a blank canvas and responds far better to component matching than the HD650. It's understandable that you have two different groups in those threads, though people may not necessarily be aware of the distinction.

The HD650 already has its own unique voice yet there are those pushing it towards a certain flavour. Take a look at the LCD-2. That too has its own distinct voice, yet there aren't many that would push that headphone towards more warmth and musicality. The pursuit there would be to exert control over its bass region and to pin it to a neutral setup. It's interesting that HD650 owners choose to chase two different dragons.

I plan on chasing both
biggrin.gif
fully with the intent that the BHC (when I can get it) will complement the MJ depending on my mood and music choice for the evening.

EDIT: When I do finally get the BHC, I'll be sure to do direct comparison with MJ.

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #15,562 of 46,565
What school....each is jus sharing their discoveries n excitement here...on the versatility of this amazing hd650.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #15,563 of 46,565
What school....each is jus sharing their discoveries n excitement here...on the versatility of this amazing hd650.

The HD650 isn't that versatile IMO. Sure it sounds good with most types of music but it always imparts its distinctive sonic signature regardless of what you're listening to. It's like the LCD-2 in that sense. Coloured, but in a pleasing way.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #15,564 of 46,565

... it always imparts its distinctive sonic signature regardless of what you're listening to.

That statement is true for every single headphone ever made in the history of the known universe. I know this cause I'm an omnipotent and omniscient hyper-intelligent being from another dimension. I'm here on your world visiting my aunt Patty.

The HD650 is really not that much different in it's sonic signature than a HD600 which is prized for being very non genre-specific.  The 650 has more body in the mid-bass region and less treble energy. I'd say that the only type of music that it really doesn't gel with would be string ensembles, but that's if you're being really picky.  If the HD600 didn't exist there would be far more praise for the 650 I think.   

EDIT:  

The HD650 isn't that versatile IMO. Sure it sounds good with most types of music...

Dang,  for an omnipotent and omniscient hyper-intelligent being I must be having an off night.  Either that or this beverage called "Guiness" is affecting me in some strange way.  Whatever....I missed this before.

You made a statement, then proceded to contradict yourself with the very next statment.  I'm not pointing this out to show off my <hiccup> superiorer inteligect.  Nushing like that sherioushly.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #15,565 of 46,565

That statement is true for every single headphone ever made in the history of the known universe...

Well no schiit Sherlock. It's a truism that every object in the universe has its own distinct qualities. That should go without saying. I figured members here would be intelligent enough to not have the bleeding obvious preached to them. I never stated that other cans had no signature. The insinuation was that the HD650 is more coloured.

You made a statement, then proceded to contradict yourself with the very next statment.  I'm not pointing this out to show off my <hiccup> superiorer inteligect.  Nushing like that sherioushly.

The HD650's signature limits its versatility. I concede that it sounds good with most types of music but that's because I enjoy and accept its inherent signature miring every recording. I'm a huge HD650 fanboy and have riled its detractors, but even I can acknowledge that this headphone is coloured and less able to shift its signature based on the recording.

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #15,568 of 46,565
I've brought in some hired help for this one. My soldering skills are somewhat primitive. There are upgrades to the pot, primary caps, power caps and the sb upgrade of course. I'm in the process of building a special walnut box for it...a little over sized to accommodate the larger caps. This one should be pretty nice. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #15,569 of 46,565
...that would be a WSB :p

(walnuted, speedballed...or warpspeedballed )

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #15,570 of 46,565
I agree with all the above and thought the Mjolnir was the best by a good bit in the pile simply because it didn't seem to add its own flavor in any way. Besides owning it already, it'd be the one where I would say, okay I need to save up for this.

We've had a Crack w/ speedball and Mjolnir on the same table before also. I'd still pick the Mjolnir despite being more of a tube guy. In all my years, it's an amplifier that does what it's supposed to do, really well. To the point of it being boring and nothing special. But in this sense, that's a good thing.

We have another meet coming up soon and I'll make it a point to compare the Mjolnir with the Crack again.

this is really interesting, I got both.  but never hooked up the 650 to the MJ as I had the BHC and 339 which I assumed would work better.
I need to pick up a balanced cable or a adapter for my Q cable  though before I can give it a whirl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back