Sennheiser HD650 Cable Shootout: Stock, Zu, Equinox and Grace Five Two
Feb 21, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #106 of 147
I don't know if whether or not this had anything to do with me not burning them in or not but the Mobius was just too harsh for my taste, so yes I guess I would be looking for something like the stock cable but better?

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #107 of 147
Now I don't know about how long you had the Zu for, but if you're looking for the stock cable but better, then I'd say the Equinox is your best bet.

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #108 of 147
Thanks for your quick response I thought that I should go with the Equinox but wasn't quite sure before this. One last question though how does the Silver Dragon compare to the Equinox? I am only asking because used, it is so much cheaper than the equinox.

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #109 of 147
I have never heard the Siver Dragon, buthe author of this thread, Voltron does have both the SD and the Equinox, so you might want to wait for his response. That said, given the different inherent compositions, silver vs copper, the copper cable genreally is a much more warm abnd darker tonality whereas silver is usually brighter. But another factor is synergy and how your other components pair with your cans and your cable.

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #111 of 147
Hmm, that sounds what good too, I don't suppose you've heard the Equinox as well? Why do there have to be so many options?
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #112 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Hmm, that sounds what good too, I don't suppose you've heard the Equinox as well? Why do there have to be so many options?
biggrin.gif

No unfortunately not. Although i've stopped looking at other senn cables a while ago. Yeah yeah I know I'm a G52 fanboy.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #113 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
You ought to see the revised version John_JCB and I did to the old stereophile list. I should still be around somewhere, and more than likely in need of revamping once again.

got it, you just want to make sure my discouragement is complete
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh well, after all the reason I am following this thread is that I want to try these cables nonetheless...just have not decided where to start from !

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #114 of 147
Well, this shootout compares the Grace Five Two, the Equinox, the Zu Mobius and the stock cable. The first thing I'd ask his, what are you looking for in a cable, eg: where do you want to start. For me, I'd start with the stock. and get familiar with it. And then one you know what you want then expand. Just note that the GF2 is no longer in production and that the Equinox from Stefan Audio Arts, if purchased direct has a considerable lead time. So that leaves the Zu and the Equinox, as I do believe that TTVJ has a few on hand.

Feb 21, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #115 of 147
JaZZ-
Thanks for your careful comparisons and input on the cable choices. Also thanks for restraining yourself from snipping my Equinox to test your hypothesis!
eggosmile.gif
I'm glad you enjoyed spending some time checking it out, and now Tao can get in some more time.

PsychoZX and saint.panda-
Thanks for the glossaries, which I find very useful. People here and elsewhere in audiophilia misuse or inconsistently use many terms all the time.

giovanni-
Get studying those glossaries so you can keep up!
very_evil_smiley.gif
Better yet, get some headphones on and then start studying.

skyline889-
I have to say that the Equinox beats out the Silver Dragon on soundstage IMO and I also think in JaZZ's opinion. The SD is a very good cable, though, so if you are looking for a less costly option it is a strong upgrade from stock. From the ones I have tried, the Grace52 (now a collector's item!) also does a great job with soundstage and detail. Best of luck. I have purchased all replacement cables used through the FS/FT forum so don't be put off by list prices or availability--just put out IC feelers or keep your eye on the forum.

Mar 2, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #116 of 147
My opinion is that with the HD650s, Zu has a more energetic top end and offers greater levels of detail than the Equinox. The Equinox though has better bass and more tangible sound stage extremes (left and right).

What I think is important though with cable selection is both your preference AND the synergy of the cable with the rest of your system. In my case, I was happy with the Equinox using a basic SS amplifier, but when I got a Raptor I felt that something missing. Basically, the top end in my system was now dull. Cymbals left me unmoved and high-pitched female singers non-chalant. A good read around here convinced me to try the Zu and it has brought a balance to my system that is much more to my liking.

So the morale is: cable synergy matters. A lot. Be sure to match the cable with the rest of your system.

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #117 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luco
..."What I think is important though with cable selection is both your preference AND the synergy of the cable with the rest of your system. In my case, I was happy with the Equinox using a basic SS amplifier, but when I got a Raptor I felt that something missing. Basically, the top end in my system was now dull. Cymbals left me unmoved and high-pitched female singers non-chalant. A good read around here convinced me to try the Zu and it has brought a balance to my system that is much more to my liking.

So the morale is: cable synergy matters. A lot. Be sure to match the cable with the rest of your system."

This is true IMO too. At least the Equinox sounds different when used with e.g. a Lehmann Black Cube Linear or a HeadAmp GS-1 then with a MPX3. The largest differences from the stock are with the MPX3.
eek.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #118 of 147
Voltron,

As a previous user of the SD cable, I found the cable to shift my system's sonic character unfavourably - too bright a balance. It was also way too stiff and microphonic. I went back to stock cable and have been enjoying it much more.

I'm now looking to get a different set of Senn cable and have been trying to find out which would improve on the stock cable without starkly changing the phones' signature. I've been considering the Headphile V2 cable, but I admit I'm intrigued with the G52 cable. Based on how I like the stock cable (sound and flexibility), would the G52 (or even the Headphile) be a good choice for me IYO?

Regards.

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #119 of 147
i think the blue dragon or equinox would improve the hd650 without drastically changing it

Apr 29, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #120 of 147
I bought the latest cardas headphone cable and it just arrived yesterday (the grey one). 10 feet for $111. Beat that price
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back