Sennheiser HD650 Cable Shootout: Stock, Zu, Equinox and Grace Five Two
Feb 20, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #91 of 147
Well, I've come to a definitive conclusion -- although it can also be seen as provisional in view of one decisive issue: The Equinox has a length of 2.5 m, which is more than twice the length of the other cables. That doesn't allow a fair comparison. If the Equinox reacts the same to shortening as the stock cable, there's a considerable sonic potential in a shorter length (such as 1.2 m) -- in the form of increased smoothness and clarity as well as higher brilliance.

The main configuration for audition consisted of the McCormack UDP-1, a homemade IC of copper and silver magnet wires and the Aria prototype. Alternatively I used the Bel Canto DAC2 (fed by digital signals from the UDP-1) as source, moreover the EMP as headphone amp, although I soon renounced the latter since it didn't show a much different behavior with respect to cable characteristics, and the Aria was the superior amp when it comes to accuracy and transparency. I also tried the direct connection to both the DAC2 and the UDP-1 to exclude the influence of the headphone amp. The main reference recording for the comparison was a DVD-A, Schumann's piano concerto on MDG -- one of the best recordings within my collection (in 24 bit/96 kHz) --, beside a few other classical and jazz recordings.

The most obvious difference between the Equinox and the other aftermarket cables was its higher definition and texturing and the more three-dimensional presentation. It's definitely drier, less liquid and less brilliant than the latter and in this regard in line with the stock cable. It has indeed great similarity to it, but clearly surpasses it in terms of detail and accuracy. And the higher detail actually also carries higher brilliance when listened more closely for. But also a tendency towards coarseness or graininess -- that's why the stock cable's lesser detail occasionally results in a smoother presentation, depending on the recording or the passage. The Equinox's superior spatial presentation and air between the notes remain obvious, though.

But what they have in common is a certain perceived treble roll-off, a lack of treble sparkle, which makes cymbals sound a bit lackluster and piano notes slightly too matte and soft. However, I was impressed by the high level of definition and accuracy, which I felt to be responsible for the large soundstage and good instrument separation, thanks to accurate reproduction of spatial information I suppose. The other high-end cables -- Silver Dragon, Zu Mobius and BlackSilver -- seemed to coat everything with a mellow sheen which took some of the three-dimensionality away. In turn the resulting liquidity makes for a better coherence between the notes, and they also seem to offer the finer grain -- it's not even wrong to speak of the finer detail and an overall greater refinement, at least in the case of Zu and Silver Dragon. So higher detail (Equinox) stands against finer detail (Zu and SD). I hope it makes sense anyhow...

So despite the high detail the Equinox lacks the clarity, liquidity and brilliance I'm used to, particularly from the Silver Dragon, and which I consider essential for the musical flow. The Equinox's overtexturing -- as I'd call it -- catches too much of my attention and detracts me from the music. So the two smoother or «sleeker» sounding silver cables are more «musical» in this respect and less fatiguing. Although the Zu Mobius' sharp-edged treble can achieve a minor degree of fatiguingness as well, whereas the Silver Dragon at best may sound slightly coolish and artificial; OTOH it offers the highest degree of coherence in my setup and never sounds harsh. In exchange its bass is a bit lean and its treble rounder and less focussed than the Zu's (not to speak of the Equinox, although there combined with the mentioned matteness).

As to the Headphile BlackSilver: it sounds rather unspectacular, but nevertheless liquid-smooth and brilliant. It's not the last word in terms of definition and expression, though, and may sound a bit noncommittal. This may be a good thing if you don't want to be distracted from the mere musical information, but it's certainly not the most audiophile sound for a sound gourmet. One thing has to be considered, though: The cable is slightly shortened, and the small piece of Sennheiser stock cable at the connector's end has been removed, and instead the silver wires are soldered directly to the pins. This has resulted in a clearer and sleeker characteristic of which I'm not sure if it's really an improvement compared to the originally less transparent, but more textured sound.

As hinted above, I strongly suspect that a shorter length and maybe soldering the wires directly to the pins would result in a clearly more favorable rating of the Equinox. Maybe it would even reach the top position. However, it will be difficult for the HD 650 to displace the K 701 from there, which I would describe as close to a synthesis of the best HD-650 cable characteristics. (Disclaimer: all ratings to my ears and IMO.)

Thanks again, Voltron, for letting us audition your Equinox. It's now going back to Tao who would like to try it again -- this time on its HeadCode, which is expected to come back from repair this week.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #92 of 147
quote from Jazz's review:

"...
increased smoothness and clarity
higher brilliance.
accuracy and transparency
higher definition and texturing
drier, less liquid and less brilliant
detail and accuracy
higher brilliance
coarseness or graininess
smoother presentation
superior spatial presentation
air
treble roll-off, a lack of treble sparkle
lackluster
matte and soft
accurate reproduction
mellow sheen
liquidity
finer grain
finer detail
refinement
higher detail
finer detail
liquidity and brilliance
overtexturing
musical
coolish and artificial
degree of coherence
rounder
focussed
definition and expression
noncommittal
transparent
textured

...."

wow...I certainly am not in this league guys, but I mean, I am speechless. This is the most confused, unpenetrable recount of a dream into music sensation ! Of course, that is just my read and I don't count ! I am just trying to learn. However, here, I have to give up.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #93 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by giovanni
wow...I certainly am not in this league guys, but I mean, I am speechless. This is the most confused, unpenetrable recount of a dream into music sensation ! Of course, that is just my read and I don't count ! I am just trying to learn. However, here, I have to give up.

http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index.html

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #95 of 147
OT quote:

Quote:

"I said I never had much use for one.
I never said I didn’t know how to use it."

This is by Tom Selleck in Quigley, Down Under right after he shoots the bad guy with a pistol the bad guy thought Quigley didn't know how to use.

Back on Topic:

Thanks for the great read and informative review Voltron. Reinforces my like of the Equinox, and makes me glad I rejected the review of the Zu. Now once I have some time on my hands in about 3-4 monhts I'll look into seeing if I can borrow a G52 to see how good it is for myself....

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #96 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
Now once I have some time on my hands in about 3-4 monhts I'll look into seeing if I can borrow a G52 to see how good it is for myself....

Whenever you would like to hear it let me know. I will let you borrow mine.

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #97 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Whenever you would like to hear it let me know. I will let you borrow mine.

Mighty generous of you, and I shall take you up on that when I have some spare time. Myo wanted to send me a cable to listen to and write-up a review for head-fi, but I didn't have the time. And since he stopped making them I guess it won't matter now anyway. But now I wish I would have taken him up on the offer! I still have Hirsch's 650s sitting here to use as my reference pair, and I could load them up with the Equinox and mine with the G52... Too bad I'm working so much.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
Hopefully the work calms down soon and I can once again spend some time listening to some gear and getting my rig setup exactly as I want it. Now if only Mikhail would finish my electrostatic amp and get it to me I'd probably not care about the Senns ever again....

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #99 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
a seperate dictionary soley for the audio speak is pretty hardcore.

Just the way I like it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #100 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
a seperate dictionary soley for the audio speak is pretty hardcore.

You ought to see the revised version John_JCB and I did to the old stereophile list. I should still be around somewhere, and more than likely in need of revamping once again.

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #101 of 147
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
You ought to see the revised version John_JCB and I did to the old stereophile list. I should still be around somewhere, and more than likely in need of revamping once again.

Uploaded as PDF-File and Word-File. This should be the latest revision you sent me. Great list really.

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #102 of 147
Okay after reading all the posts here I am completely confused. In simple terms for an idiot like me to understand which cable would you guys reccomend to me for my 650? I had the Zu but I sold it and didn't really let it burn in before doing so, so I guess I never got to hear the full value of it. I was leaning towards the equinox but after reading Jazz's latest post I am not so sure now. So which should I buy; Zu Mobius, Silver Dragon, Cardas, or the Equinox?

Feb 21, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #103 of 147
The simple answer is you would need to hear the cables in question to deicde. NOw you've heard the Zu and sold it? What about it did you like and what about it did you not like? What are you looking for in terms of sound?

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #104 of 147
I was looking for a little bit of a wider soundstage, maybe more detailed mids and highs and smoother bass response. I really wish I could audition all of them but nobody here in Hawaii sells them, so I was hoping you guys could help me out, thanks.

Feb 21, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #105 of 147
What is that in comaprison to? The stock cable? The Zu? Are you looking to keep the inherent charecter of the stock cable but improve on it? I mean something like the Zu cable is a very different beast than something like the Equinox. Of the more commercially available options I'd probably say the Equinox assuming you are looking to maintain the inherent style of the stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back